POLL: Do you cruise with kids?

MamaParrotHead

Do you bring your kids along when you cruise?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Do you bring your kids along when you cruise?

• No
    • Yes, they're between ages 0 and 6 years old.
    • Yes, they're between ages 6 years and 12 years old.
    • Yes, they're between ages 12 years and 18 years old.
    • Yes, they're over 18 years old.

I prefer to not take the kids. It's very difficult to relax with my own kids, let alone other's kids around. But I am making an exception this Thanksgiving and taking my 12 year old. I know this cruise will be loaded with kids of all ages. The rule is that we are treating her like an adult by bringing her, so she has to act like a little adult.

mine have been cruising ever since they were babies (lucky kids, by default, we love to cruise, they have to come). youngest one to ever go started at 7 months old:) . they are seasoned cruisers by now. considerate, polite and oh just the best:p (doesn't every mom say that?)

My kids have been on almost every single cruise with us, starting when the oldest one was 3 and the youngest one in my belly!! (she was 7 months old on her 1st real first cruise).

They are now 12 & 16 and are Platinum Card Members... Wouldn't have it any other way....

Elaine :)

Ours have always cruised with us. They were 8 & 11 on their first cruise. They have been on 6 cruises. For our Alaska cruise in July 2007 they will be 16 & 20. We have never even considered not taking them - not that there is anything wrong with not taking them. We just consider it a family vacation so everyone goes. Maybe someday we will go alone, but being that the youngest is special needs I can see him always going. He LOVES cruising and I don't think we could swing going without him. I tried to arrange an ALL GIRLS cruise one time. It ended up not working out - but there was NO WAY I was going without him.

Well ... I cast my vote for three options ... since I've only cruised once before - without my kids - and next week I will be cruising with my kids. At this point I dont have a preference, but I am excited for my kids to experience the ocean water and snorkeling like we did last year!

Steph

Looks like others have been voting once in each category that corresponds to each childs age, just FYI... she made it so you can vote for more than one option.

How do you vote if you only bring your kids that are over two years old. We have three, but except for our first cruise, we don't bring the babies because they can't go to the camps. This year our third and last baby will be staying with his aunt....he is 16 months old. Our motto is "if the kids aren't old enough to go to a camp, they can't come with us".

Last year we went on a disney cruise with my 8 month twins and a 3 year old. We are going again in december(20days yeeaaaaaah) The twins are 20 months and my eldest is 4. We had a blast last time and can't wait for this cruise. For me I find half the fun seeing them enjoy the trip. I know they won't remember later but it doesn't change how much fun they are having in the now.

I also think that there is nothing wrong with cruising without your kids.

I wouldn't mind taking a cruise without the kids (it certainly would be cheaper), but we have no one to care for them. Three grandparents have passed away, and the fourth has mobility problems that make it impossible to care for kids - at least for more than a few hours at a time, or maybe overnight. Aunts and uncles all work outside the home. I am glad that in our case we waited until the youngest was 4; I was very happy not to need the diaper bag, pack n' play crib, special food, stroller, etc.

We've also come to realize that our vacation time with oldest son (now 15) is limited; he's applied for a job at a summer camp/retreat house for next summer, so we're not even sure how much he'll be around. If his college hopes become reality (he would love to attend the Naval Academy), he'll be gone the week after high school graduation. After our cruise on Liberty in February, I'm not sure whether he'll be along on future cruises.

I have not taken my kids on a cruise yet and I don't think that makes me a bad parent. People have always given me a look like "you are leaving them behind??". Without feeling any remorse whatsoever - "Yep" is my answer.... I spend the other 358 days a year emotionally, mentally, financially and physically putting them first (not that I would have it any other way - I LOVE being a Mom) But - my annual 7 day cruise has always been for ME!!!! We do other "family" vacations. I have been very fortunate because my Mom has always taken them for me and I will have to tell you - she also cherishes those 7 days a year - because she has them. My son is older now so he hasn't stayed with her the last couple of years but Grandma has always made the week "full of fun for them" while I am gone. The next one they will both be coming with me (I'm getting married on this one). Now that they are older (DS is 21 and DD is 16) - I am actually looking forward to them coming. I know that they will truly appreciate the whole trip and I have a feeling they will be just like Mom ------ TOTALLY ADDICTED!!!

We started cruising with the boys were they were around 5 and 8 (close to 6 and 9...but missed the cut off). They are now 15 and 18 and have some 14 cruises under their belts. (oldest has missed a couple) We have never sailed without at least one of them. (or traveled anywhere without them) They have been to Israel with us in 2000 and all over the good ole USA. They are a pleasure to have around and it wouldn't be a vacation without them.

We'll be taking our first cruise as a family in January. DH and I had our alone time before our boys were born. We waited so long to be blessed with our boys, it's time for us to take "family" vacations from here on out.

This will be our first cruise with our 9and 10 year old boys. I gave them a choice between Disney and a cruise and they picked the cruise! (way to go) Between the kids programs and my wife and I taking turns being with the kids, I feel its the best of both worlds. Having time alone and being with family. My dad (87) thought it was such a good idea he and his wife are joining us on the cruise.:)

This will be our first cruise with our 9and 10 year old boys. I gave them a choice between Disney and a cruise and they picked the cruise! (way to go) Between the kids programs and my wife and I taking turns being with the kids, I feel its the best of both worlds. Having time alone and being with family. My dad (87) thought it was such a good idea he and his wife are joining us on the cruise.:)

Cool..........built in babysitters when you two want some alone time.;)

Archived