Cell Phones

lanajoy3

I have Verizon and I heard that Verizon works on cruises to Alaska. I would like to know if Verizon works out to sea and in the different ports, because we have to contact our businesses in Southern California. What other cell phone companies work out to sea and at port? Thanx. Desperately need an answer.

When you are out to sea, a standard (non-satellite) cellulare phone will not work.

Cellular technology requires "line-of-sight" contact with a cellular tower. If you are within 7 miles of shore, you MIGHT get something but unless a cell tower is somewhere nearby, you will not get a signal.

In Alaska, there were a couple of times that we could get a signal but it was not that often as we were sailing along some pretty sparsley populated areas.

When you are on the cruise, do like I have learned to do, shut down the phone and enjoy being remote from the rest of the world! :)

I have traveled alot on HAL in the Caribbean, and often when we are close to an island the phone will work, but it is roaming. DON'T DO IT! You will get killed with the roaming charges. There is a little logo on the cell which will warn you that its roaming. The charges are something ridiculous, I don't remember, but something like $ 10.00 a minute (something crazy like that).

bkonner

lana: I have Verizon and was on an Alaska cruise last year---had coverage in all but one port, but forget which one! Best bet is to calll Verizon and ask them about Alaska coverage and roaming charges.

My ATT service worked pretty well on our Alaska cruise. But, nothing will work when you are out at sea unless you rent a satellite phone. ANd even they have their fussy moments.

CAll your carreir before you leave on any trip and find out the answers to your questions regarding fees, raoming and also activation.

My ATT service worked pretty well on our Alaska cruise. But, nothing will work when you are out at sea unless you rent a satellite phone. ANd even they have their fussy moments.

CAll your carreir before you leave on any trip and find out the answers to your questions regarding fees, raoming and also activation.

Score... Cingluar and ATT are starting to use the same towers :-D

It sounds to me then, my little Nokia, with my minute card coverage, instead of the usual monthy charge..will be no good to me while on the ship. HAL states that if you call out, it costs $16.00 per min. But when someone calls in, does that cost us on the ship? Or is it just long distance to those that are calling us? This is my first cruise,so I am wondering about this. Thx for any info.

I need to know what satalite phone co I should rent that will work while out to sea on an Alaskan cruise and if the cost per minute would be better than using the ships phone at their high minute rate. Furthermore, at port would I be able to use the phone or would I be better off using a regular phone to call my office. My main concern is being able to contact my office while out to sea, I do not want to email becuase I need to have conversation. Thank You I am desperate for your help. lanajoy3

Archived