Captain Marvins Review - November 9/06

traveladdicted

I just returned from a Western Caribbean cruise with my bother, aboard the Carnival Victory. In Grand Cayman, we had booked a couple of tours with Captain Marvin (Stingray City/snorkel and Hell/Turtle Farm). It was great.

We found Captain Marvin’s with no problem (one hint, cross the road at the lights, there is a lot of traffic and it’s tough to cross otherwise) and our bus left pretty much right away. The ride is only 10-15 minutes to the boat. We had Captain Marvin himself as our Captain which was pretty cool.

The folks on the boat (the guide and the videographer) were very friendly and informative. The ride is about 20 minutes to the stingray sandbar. We were fortunate to be one of the first boats out and there were not tons of people around.

Swimming with the stingrays is hard to describe. It was definitely the highlight of our trip (and we did some other really fun things too). They were much bigger than I was expecting and it was a little freaky at first but after a minute or so it was just lots of fun. They are so soft and unafraid. We got to hold one and were told that kissing it would give us 7 years of good luck so we puckered up! I was sad when we had to move on to our snorkel site, I could have stayed there for hours.

The snorkel site (Coral Gardens) was incredible. It was the first time I had snorkelled off a boat rather than walking in from shore. We saw tons of beautiful fish, gorgeous coral and even a lone stingray swimming around our boat.

All too soon the snorkelling was over and we made our way back to the dock.

A few of us (6) hopped onto another bus and started the Hell/Turtle Farm tour. It was pretty cheesy but fun. I don’t need to do it again but I enjoyed the experience. Hell is pretty funny. Yes it’s just as kitchy as you imagine. Just a shack painted red with a guy dressed like the devil with it’s own post office. Pretty amazing what the entrepreneurial spirit can accomplish.

The turtle farm is quite small but I really enjoyed it. They have plans for big expansions so it will be great to see it in a year or two. They have lots of huge sea turtles which are amazing to see. We got to hold a “yearling” and get our picture taken as well.

We also stopped at the Tortuga Rum factory nearby. It was absolute bedlam trying to get close enough to get a sample but hustle my way through it I did! We tried probably 15 different kinds of rum cake. They were all yummy but I think my favourite was the coffee or the cinnamon flavours.

After that we went back to the Captain Marvins location and the end of the tour.

Our tour guide on the second part of our trip was great – sadly I can’t remember his name right now. He was very funny and had lots of great stories. He was from Jamaica and had moved to Grand Cayman with his wife.

All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend Captain Marvins. They seem to be a very professional organization. The tours were both lots of fun and we had a great time in Grand Cayman.

You're Welcome!

KatWI - we were not able to change our clothes because we had to hop right on the next bus. However, there is a bathroom aboard the boat so you can always change there during the ride back.

THANKS!

It's great to know that's an option... I don't like the idea of doing an island tour soaking wet but I imagine if it's a nice day you would dry off pretty well on the ride back anyway!

KATWI..

Thanks so much for the Captain Marvin online info. Def going to book him again.....it was a great experience, and as many have noted, his boats were much less crowded than the others. Glad to hear success hasn't spoiled them, and its still true!!! Will report back when we return early in Jan.

Sandi

Archived