Which ship for Hawaii is the best

delgadofam2002

I want to sail next summer to Hawaii so figured it would need to be NCL America ship but which one. I have heard so much back & forth negative about the cruise line. When I sailed NCL Sun in 2001 I was not impressed but then again it was one of the firstr sailing back then. I know things change & begining sailing are always the roughest times. Can you help?

NCL Last-Minute Hawaii Cruise in December w/Reduced Air -- This Week Only

Don't miss this last-minute 7-night Cruise & Air special on the Pride of Hawaii, sailing 12/11/06 RT Honolulu. Balconies starting at $999 pp from the West Coast and $1,299 from the East Coast; air is available from most major airports. Cruise Only specials start at $429 pp (inside cabin) and $449 (oceanview).

I'm not sure of which ship is the best, but this one, is sure a great price! If we weren't booked to the Riveria in March, I might have to do this one...:)

Just got off the Pride of Hawaii. Nov 6-13th. The boat is beautiful. Excellent state rooms and the intinerary is incredible. You get to see 4 islands in seven days and there are lots to see and do on each of the island without doing the expensive excursions off of the boat.

For anyone considering doing these cruises with NCL there are many things you need to know before you book with them. We were first time cruisers and didn't have anything to compare it to but we felt the Free style cruising was awful. You couldn't get food when ever you wanted. You were limited to the morning, lunch and dinner time. No evening buffets etc. During the other times there was only one restaurant on the ship open with a very limited menu. We ordered room service very early one morning to try and get a sandwich for our daily excursion, it never came, we gave up and never tried to order room service again. We had to depart the ship with no food for lunch and try and find something to eat when we were out. The food in the free restaurants was mediocre at best. There were no buffets available. All meals were served by the crew only. The buffet areas were all wrapped in plastic wrap. Some food areas weren't used at all. Passengers were not able to handle any of the food stuff this included getting your own coffee, tea, juices etc.

The only fabulous meals we had were in two of the specialty restaurants (we had to pay extra for this) (French Le Bistro and Cagneys Steakhouse). All restaurants must be booked when you board the ship or you may have trouble getting a table and end up in the cafeteria. We went for the early meals 6:30 and didn't have trouble getting in. They only took a certain amount of bookings and the restaurants were never full, there were many tables empty. The teppanyaki restaurants are a major rip off at $20 per person. You could even get a piece of sushi with your meal.

Some of the staff were trying very hard to please the passenger, some others could care less about the service they were offering. We made sure we were polite to all the staff we encountered, smile and a good day or aloha. Many just grunted and asked what do you want.

They had a major Norwalk virus outbreak on the ship and we were never told when we boarded the ship. More than half the crew were sick and many passenger got it and were quarantined to their rooms. Ambulances took away many passenger in each of the port we visited.

We booked rental cars in every port. These must be booked in advance as the number of cars available are limited. The pickup and drop off service is very efficient. We never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a shuttle to come and get us. We used Thrify in every port. We only had one problem with the car not being fully fueled, otherwise it was fine. The ports we were in over night we were able to find free parking. On Kauia they told us we must pay $10 for the night. I took a chance and parked the car outside of the recommended lots (making sure there were no parking signs anywhere near where we parked and things were fine).

I have more to post but I will limit it to this. If you book with NCL you may be disappointed if you expect top notch service on the boat, you won't get it. The nightly entertainment was very low calibre, and there is very limited night life on the boat. The decks are deserted by 10 pm. We didn't go into any of the lounges as they all allowed smokers, which didn't make it very pleasurable for us Non smokers.

Bigfootca

I think sailing on any of the three ships are fine. Pride of Aloha is oldest, Pride of America is second oldest, and Pride of Hawaii is the newest ship. My family and I went on the Pride of Hawaii and enjoyed it a lot. One good thing about the Pride of Hawaii that the other two ships don't have is a self-service laundry room. It helped us cut down on bringing a lot of clothes.

We chose the Pride of Hawaii because the price was less than the other two ships during the time we went. It all depends on what you want: going on the newest ship, the price, the day of departure, etc.

We also just returned from the Nov. 6th-13th cruise. This was our 29th cruise, 4th with NCL, and the worst of all 29. The islands are great but NCL has nothing to do with making the islands a great place.

I think its the American crew that has dropped the ball on this ship. Most treat it like a summer or part time job. I heard the word SORRY with no follow up to improve or correct the situation. Would I take it again? No. Will I use NCL again, NEVER. They lost a long time cruiser.

We sailed on the Pride of Aloha in 2003. We had a great time. What a great way to see 4 islands in one week without having to unpack.

Yes, I agree, the American staff, unfortunaetly, does not measure up to the service you may be used to having as on other ships.

We will be going back again in March but this time on the Pride of America. Why? The ship, we are looking forward to sailing on her as the ship's theme is Americana! The restaurants each have a different 'city' decor. Looks interesting and fun!

All 3 ships have Pro Shops.

We're also going 2 days prior to rest after the long flight from the East Caost and be able to visit Pearl Harbor, USS Arizona , the Mighty Mo etc.

All meals were served by the crew only. The buffet areas were all wrapped in plastic wrap. Some food areas weren't used at all. Passengers were not able to handle any of the food stuff this included getting your own coffee, tea, juices etc.

They had a major Norwalk virus outbreak on the ship and we were never told when we boarded the ship. More than half the crew were sick and many passenger got it and were quarantined to their rooms. Ambulances took away many passenger in each of the port we visited.

Bigfootca

I am so sorry your first cruise didn't go well for you guys. That is a shame. It does sound like you enjoyed all the ports so I'm happy for you there...

We are getting on this ship in less than 2 weeks and I am concerned to read your comment on the outbreak of the Norwalk virus. As far as I know, you are the one and only post out there that mentions this.

Please give me as many details as possible about your experiences? Did you speak to any crew members or passengers directly about this? If so, what did they say? Did you see the ambulances taking passengers from the ship or hear about them?

If anyone else who was on this particular sailing can comment on what they saw I would really appreciate it. I plan on contacting my travel agent and possibly NCL directly once I gather as many facts as possible.

youbid: I see that you were also on this sailing. Can you comment at all?

Thanks everyone! I am joining my elderly parents on this ship, and they cannot afford to get sick.

e~ Not to worry. Just make sure to wash your hands often and especially before eating. (as other people don't)

That is robably why they had plastic over the food in the buffet.... to be extra careful (as other people are not)

These things happen not only on cruise ships, but in nursing homes as well. Any confined area. Just take care of yourselves, as other people are not as careful.

It'll be wonderful!!!!!!!

Bon Voyage!

I was on the cruise on POH on Oct. 30 – Nov. 1. I find it very hard to believe we were on the same ship as youbid and bigfootca. I strongly disagree with just about everything they have to say! The buffet was open until 10pm and there is 24 hour room service. I never used it so I really can’t say how well it works but then I never needed to since the buffet or some other restaurant was always open when I wanted it. There are 10 restaurants in all and I always found something to eat without a problem. Only on the last two days was the buffet wrapped in plastic and served by the crew. This was a preventative measure due to the outbreak of a virus on one of the islands. Even with this slight inconvenience there was plenty of food with a lot of variety that tasted very good. This was our first cruise but not the first time I’ve been in a hotel or restaurant. I’d say the buffet was better than the average buffet you will find in most of Las Vegas major hotels. Our room was always made up fresh by Jenny our ship’s steward with fresh towels everyday.

I could go on but I already wrote an extensive review in both the boards and the review section.

I want to sail next summer to Hawaii so figured it would need to be NCL America ship but which one. I have heard so much back & forth negative about the cruise line. When I sailed NCL Sun in 2001 I was not impressed but then again it was one of the firstr sailing back then. I know things change & begining sailing are always the roughest times. Can you help?

To get back to the original question, we were on the Pride of Hawaii in September. I can't imagine that either of the other two "Prides" would be better. I especially liked the jam-packed itinerary - no sea days or Fanning Island to take away from our Hawaiian vacation.

I enjoy the Pride of Aloha. It's a smaller ship which I like the smaller better. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the other two but who needs it with that itinerary. Last time I was on it, some of the crew was the same as when it was the Sky. Of course these were not your service crew members.

I just like the feel of this ship.

I was on the cruise on POH on Oct. 30 – Nov. 1. I find it very hard to believe we were on the same ship as youbid and bigfootca.

There are 10 restaurants in all and I always found something to eat without a problem. Only on the last two days was the buffet wrapped in plastic and served by the crew. This was a preventative measure due to the outbreak of a virus on one of the islands.

Since youbid and bigfootca were on the Nov 6-13 sailing, basically the sailing right after yours...I'm just wondering if the Norwalk virus was something of greater concern which caused more of the precautions on their sailing...?

I can only speculate...

I am relieved to hear you had a wonderful experience. I do remember reading your review. I believe it was your honeymoon?? If I am correct CONGRATS and I'm glad you had a great time!

e~ Not to worry. Just make sure to wash your hands often and especially before eating. (as other people don't)

Bon Voyage!

Thank you RENIE!! I think I'm a little on the crazy side when it comes to the hand washing...LOL! They say to sing the Happy Birthday song TWO TIMES through to make sure you are washing long enough...and guess who does that?? ME!! LOL!! Unfortunately I've watched people in restrooms and I am in the minority. I agree with you...some don't wash at all and this freaks me out!

We at excited about the trip and I'll try not to worry...

Thanks again!

4 of us on this cruise. We came to the conclusion that if you were a first-time cruiser, you would probably have enjoyed it. You will find some things disapointing ("celophane city"), but, overall, you will think it's very good. However, if you have cruised before, (we are multiple time cruisers on Princess), you will be very, very disapointed in several areas, primarily food and entertainment, but, hey, it worked as a floating hotel enroute to a great itinerary.

International crews are much harder workers and seem to enjoy their careers, This boat (not worthy of cruise ship status IMO) is full of American kids looking for a temporary job in paradise, and it shows.

Enjoy your time off of the boat. Stay off as much as you can, the islands are the attraction, not the hotel.

By the way, 3 of the 4 of us now are sick. Just sinus infections, but, sick nevertheless. It kicked in the last day for 1 and on the flight home for the other 2 of us.

NCLA will not get any more of my money unless many things change for the better.

4 of us on this cruise. We came to the conclusion that if you were a first-time cruiser, you would probably have enjoyed it. You will find some things disapointing ("celophane city"), but, overall, you will think it's very good. However, if you have cruised before, (we are multiple time cruisers on Princess), you will be very, very disapointed in several areas, primarily food and entertainment, but, hey, it worked as a floating hotel enroute to a great itinerary.

International crews are much harder workers and seem to enjoy their careers, This boat (not worthy of cruise ship status IMO) is full of American kids looking for a temporary job in paradise, and it shows.

Enjoy your time off of the boat. Stay off as much as you can, the islands are the attraction, not the hotel.

By the way, 3 of the 4 of us now are sick. Just sinus infections, but, sick nevertheless. It kicked in the last day for 1 and on the flight home for the other 2 of us.

NCLA will not get any more of my money unless many things change for the better.

Ferriswheeler:

Sorry to hear your sailing ended like this. We have crusied before...once on Princess, once on Carnival and once on Royal so it will be interesting as to our take on NCLA. I have read enough on these boards to realize this will not be a typical cruise experience, but I think this might suit us the best actually.

(As long as I can find some decent food to eat, I know I'll be okay:-)

We are not really into the whole cruise director thing...lots of announcements... We like doing our own thing, rather than wait to be entertained by planned activities, etc...

So like you, we are treating the ship as our floating hotel...an economical way to see the Hawaiian islands. YIPPEE!! I know we will have a great time and looking forward to getting in our rental car and going it alone.

The question will be...would we sail on NCLA again, or do a land tour...I'm anxious to see my review myself... LOL!

Happy sailing!

4 of us on this cruise. We came to the conclusion that if you were a first-time cruiser, you would probably have enjoyed it. You will find some things disapointing ("celophane city"), but, overall, you will think it's very good. However, if you have cruised before, (we are multiple time cruisers on Princess), you will be very, very disapointed in several areas, primarily food and entertainment, but, hey, it worked as a floating hotel enroute to a great itinerary. . .

My family and I are frequent cruisers. We've cruised RCCI, Princess, Celebrity, and others over the past 20+ years. We've cruised HI on both POAm and POH (as well as an RCCI cruise years ago). I did not find either NCLA cruise at all "disappointing" Freestyle dining was a bit different for us, but not "bad" and the specialty restraunts were great.

I've never been overly impressed by any cruise's entertainment - since we were able to spend so much time enjoying the islands and the ports - I never really noticed the entertainment. If I were 'stuck' on board while cruising to/from Fanning Island or to or from Vancouver or Mexico - I might have been bored to tears with ANY ship's entertainment.

To the OP's question - if you are looking for the most time on the HI islands that you can have on ANY one week vacation (land or sea) NCLA's Pride of line is your best cruise option. Personally, we preferred POAm over POH. But, if you are looking for a great cruise experience with the chance to spend some time on a couple of the islands, I'd go with RCCI or Celebrity.

We also just returned from the Nov. 6th-13th cruise. This was our 29th cruise, 4th with NCL, and the worst of all 29. The islands are great but NCL has nothing to do with making the islands a great place.

I think its the American crew that has dropped the ball on this ship. Most treat it like a summer or part time job. I heard the word SORRY with no follow up to improve or correct the situation. Would I take it again? No. Will I use NCL again, NEVER. They lost a long time cruiser.

same with us, we were on the 'pride of america' last month and have just received a long apologetic letter from ncla agreeing with all our complaints. the crew did not help matters, not a happy crew on our cruise that's for sure and will we cruise ncla again...no way!!

Sorry you had a bad time. Just remember though, you weren't on NCL you were on NCLA. NCL is all international crew, NCLA around Hawaii is all American crew due to US maritime laws.

Michael

Ferriswheeler:

Sorry to hear your sailing ended like this. We have crusied before...once on Princess, once on Carnival and once on Royal so it will be interesting as to our take on NCLA. I have read enough on these boards to realize this will not be a typical cruise experience, but I think this might suit us the best actually.

(As long as I can find some decent food to eat, I know I'll be okay:-)

We are not really into the whole cruise director thing...lots of announcements... We like doing our own thing, rather than wait to be entertained by planned activities, etc...

So like you, we are treating the ship as our floating hotel...an economical way to see the Hawaiian islands. YIPPEE!! I know we will have a great time and looking forward to getting in our rental car and going it alone.

The question will be...would we sail on NCLA again, or do a land tour...I'm anxious to see my review myself... LOL!

Happy sailing!

See the islands for all they are worth, eat at Jasmine Gardens and Cagneys (specialty rests) and you'll find some good food. A decent hot-dog or slice of pizza can be found in the cafe if you don't mind the lines. Stock up on water when in port. If you are adventurous, go ziplining (Zipline canopy tour) on Kauai. The sail by the volcano was awesome (a sight I haven't seen before in Oklahoma).

I just don't want anyone to go in comparing to previous cruises/cruise lines as you might be on the disapointed side like we were.

Enjoy your trip.

I was on the cruise on POH on Oct. 30 – Nov. 1. I find it very hard to believe we were on the same ship as youbid and bigfootca. I strongly disagree with just about everything they have to say! The buffet was open until 10pm and there is 24 hour room service. I never used it so I really can’t say how well it works but then I never needed to since the buffet or some other restaurant was always open when I wanted it. There are 10 restaurants in all and I always found something to eat without a problem. Only on the last two days was the buffet wrapped in plastic and served by the crew. This was a preventative measure due to the outbreak of a virus on one of the islands. Even with this slight inconvenience there was plenty of food with a lot of variety that tasted very good. This was our first cruise but not the first time I’ve been in a hotel or restaurant. I’d say the buffet was better than the average buffet you will find in most of Las Vegas major hotels. Our room was always made up fresh by Jenny our ship’s steward with fresh towels everyday.

I could go on but I already wrote an extensive review in both the boards and the review section.

Hi. Can you (or anyone else) tell me if there is late-night food available, besides room service on Pride of Hawaii? Does POH have the midnight buffets? What about afternoon snacks and food options? Thanks.

Archived