babysitting for shore excursion

deemk

Has anyone left their kids on the ship during a shore excursion? And did it all work out okay? It seems like an ideal situation, but then, we'll also be pretty far away, so I'm wondering if perhaps it's unsafe? We have 1 that will be 7 months old, so I'm wondering if she'll be able to be with her siblings, or not.

thanks,

I would say if you are going on a ship sponsered excursion than it would be safe to leave them on board.

I have never gone on excursion without my DD but i have left her on the ship while i went off shopping and she was fine, never even cared i left.

The ships crew does a great job of taking care of them.

Your biggest problem is there is only one cruiseline I know of that takes kids that are under the age of 1 years old, even for their babysitting programs. Unless you are cruising on Disney, you won't have any options for the 7 month old. Even RCCL that has incabin babysitting, requires that the child be at least 1 year old.

Depending on where you are cruising, most cruise lines allow you to bring infants over 6 months and older. On Princess for example, you can bring a 6 mo + on caribbean, mexico, us, alaska, europe, canada, australia/new zealand and panama canal. Infants must be over 1 to cruise trans-atlantic/pacific, asia, africa, antartica, india, south pacific/tahiti, hawaii and south america.

However, princess does not offer babysitting for children under 3, so if you are with Princess and a 7 month old, you wouldn't be able to leave on ship with their program.

We have just booked our first cruise with our infant daughter in Feb. Can't wait. She will have just turned 6 months.

It is my understanding that Carnival offers group babysitting for children under 2 for $6 per hour in the mornings. However, you would not be able to take an all day excursion as this is only offered in the morning. Carnival no longer offers in-cabin babysitting. It is also my understanding that RCCL and Celebrity offer in-cabin babysitting, so that would be an option. It is also my understanding that there are no babysitting options at all for infants on NCL during the daytime (but at least infants are free on NCL).

Celebrity does private babysitting for 6 months and older. RC does 1 yr and up. Cunard's nursery takes 6 months and up (for free!). Carnival's camp takes under 2 years old while in port for limited hours. HAL does in room babysitting but I'm not sure of the age limit.

Hmmm... well, this is my first cruise. But I was told by the vacation person through Carnival that I could leave the infant for an extra cost during part of the day. She said that it was only offered certain times during the day, and then late at night if we wanted to do a "date" or something. I'm guessing no one has taken advantage of this, from what I'm reading in the replies... bummer.

Here's the info from Carnival.com:

Children under the age of 2 are not able to participate in all the regular programs we offer to the other age groups. We have designated times where children under 2 can participate in our Fun program. The following times are listed below:

Babysitting - From 10:00 pm - 3:00 am each evening of the cruise.

Port Days - From port arrival until 12:00 pm or if a late arrival then for the afternoon until 5:00 pm

Family Play Times - Sea days from 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm or 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm - check Camp Carnival Capers

Parents and their Under 2 child can come into the playroom and utilize the facilities that we have OR parents have the option of leaving their child under the supervision of a Youth Counselor, a babysitting fee applies to the second option.

The babysitting fee is $6.00 per hour and is charged to the guest's Sail & Sign Account. Please check the Camp Carnival Capers for specific days and times.

BTW, I don't believe Carnival has ever had in-cabin babysitting. I know they didn't have it from 1999 (when we took our 23 month year old on her first cruise) thru 2002.

Hi ,

Can some one explain about this, if it's not in cabin

Babysitting - From 10:00 pm - 3:00 am each evening of the cruise

No experience with Camp Carnival, but would guess that if the baby sitting is not in the cabin then it would be in the room where Camp Carnival is held.

Archived