Phil Review - November 10, 2006

traveladdicted

Trying this again - my apologies if this is a duplicate post.

I just returned from a Western Caribbean cruise with my bother, aboard the Carnival Victory. In Ocho Rios we booked a tour with Phil Lafayette after reading the great reviews on this site. I was a little nervous after reading a couple of negative reviews but after Phil responded quickly to the message I sent with my concerns I decided to give him a try anyways.

I’m glad I did! Phil is very funny and deeply in love with his country. We had a great time on the tour. We opted to just go to Dunn’s River and then the island tour and back to Margaritaville.

Dunn’s River is absolutely amazing. We had a spectacular time and had the extreme good fortune that it was just the 4 of us (my mom and I and a couple on the Phil’s tour) with a guide for the falls. We watched other groups go up with 20 or so people and it was just the 4 of us! Our guide took us up the unbeaten path a few times so we avoided the big groups – we thought we had a daredevil guide! It was great though, I would certainly do it again!

The island tour is a little boring even with Phil’s information and songs. I’m sure it’s partly because we were all a little tired after our climb.

I would not hesitate to recommend Phil to anyone traveling to Ocho Rios. He is very funny, flexible with plans and very knowledgeable about his home.

Thank You for your review. Like You, I was alittle worried after some of the negative but Phil answered my concerns pretty quickly. We just have to wait till April to do our tour. Can I ask a question? You said the island tour was boring. What was boring about it? Where did he take you on the island? Was there beautiful scenery? The reason I ask is we are doing DRF, Tubing and the island tour (minus the jerk restaurant stop) and I am hoping for some great scenery of the island for pictures. Thanks

Traveladdicted

Just thought I would say hi! This is the other travellers on the Falls tour. We also had a great time and we have told many people that Jamaica was a highlight for us. We also were concerned about negative reports about Phil but he definitely changed our minds. He was very informative about Jamaica but he did it in a fun and interesting way. Phil has also followed up with an e-mail to find out if we made it home safely.He even used our Jamaican names. If anyone has doubts about Phil, rest assured he does a wonderful job of showing off his home.:):):)

Thank You for your review. Like You, I was alittle worried after some of the negative but Phil answered my concerns pretty quickly. We just have to wait till April to do our tour. Can I ask a question? You said the island tour was boring. What was boring about it? Where did he take you on the island? Was there beautiful scenery? The reason I ask is we are doing DRF, Tubing and the island tour (minus the jerk restaurant stop) and I am hoping for some great scenery of the island for pictures. Thanks

Like the OP, I got a little bored during the island tour portion, too. It just goes on and on.........and on. And again, like the OP reported, I was really tired after the climb up the falls. Not that the climb itself is SO taxing, I guess it's just because it's so hot, and it's a long day with an early start......by the time I was back on the little bus and comfy and getting dry, well, I was also getting vewy vewy sleepy! About all I remember of our tour was Phil pointing out Mick Jagger's house and then stopping somewhere along the way where we could take a few pics of the ship way down below. I DID perk up at M'ville, though, what with the free 'rita, then all the subsequent not-free 'ritas ;) , and shopping, etc. I must say, though, smart decision to skip the jerk stand. The meat was just gross.....really gross. Just have some snacks with all those margaritas!

Archived