Reef condition in Cozumel after the hurricane

madisonswims

Hi there,

We are debating whether or not to do a 2 or 3 reef snorkel trip in Cozumel. How are the reefs these days since the hurricane(s)?

The reefs listed on the Eagle Ray Divers' website as possibilities for visit are: Columbia, Palancar, Cardona, Chankanaab Shallows, Dzul-Ha, Paradise, Santa Rosa Shallows and Villa Blanca.

Have any of these been destroyed? Are any better than others?

THANKS!

You might want to check the Cozumel section for recent reviews of some of the snorkel sites.

We are booked with Eagle Ray Divers next week for a 2 reef combination Dive/Snorkel Trip. We have been out with Eagle Ray before and I am sure they will take you to locations that either had little hurricane damage or that are full of fish that have reinhabited some of the damaged reefs.

Reviews on ScubaBoard have indicated that some reefs that were previously poor are now thriving after the hurricane. Most folks say that Cozumel is still some of the best diving and snorkeling in the world - albet a little different post Wilma.

I dove on Santa Rosa Wall and Cedral Pass on 10/20. According to the DM the deep dives still have a lot of sand covering the coral and sea life hasn't come back fully yet. We didn't see much and the sand made it look like snow covered mountains. Its still a cool dive with the coral heads hanging over the abyss but Cedral pass was teaming with life and we saw lots of French and Queen Angels, Queen Trigers, Yellow Tailed Grunts, Blue Tang, and one grouper and a nurse shark. The shallow was a nice dive and most of the sand had been washed away by the current. Good luck and good diving.

We dove Cozumel last week off of the Carnival Mircale....

Ok, I really dont know what the reef was like prior to the hurricane... but I will say this.. its STILL an awesome dive. Great swim thrus, lots of fish and warm water.

How can you not dive in 85 deg water, 120 feet vis and no wetsuit.... sure beats diving in Calif. in 55 deg water, 15 feet vis and a 7mm wetsuit.

GO HAVE FUN!!!!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Miracle in late Aug., and dove in all 4 ports (Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Cayman). Among these, I liked Coz the best. We were in Columbia Deep (while my family/friends snorkeled in Columbia shallow), and then Palancar Gardens. The drift diving/snorkeling was amazing, like flying.

Belize had more soft coral growth but mostly beige in color. Cozumel had more hard corals that are bigger and more colors, and bigger fish. Costa Maya was similar to Belize but with more colors and a bit more fish than Belize. Cayman had the most fish life, with corals similar to Coz.

Coz had the best vis, and it's on the top of my list of where to return for more diving. It's also a lot cheaper in Coz. Cayman was expensive. Costa Maya is being newly developed. Belize is one place that's harder to get good diving from the Belize port. Hope that helps.

I was on the Miracle in late Aug., and dove in all 4 ports (Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Cayman). Among these, I liked Coz the best. We were in Columbia Deep (while my family/friends snorkeled in Columbia shallow), and then Palancar Gardens. The drift diving/snorkeling was amazing, like flying.

Belize had more soft coral growth but mostly beige in color. Cozumel had more hard corals that are bigger and more colors, and bigger fish. Costa Maya was similar to Belize but with more colors and a bit more fish than Belize. Cayman had the most fish life, with corals similar to Coz.

Coz had the best vis, and it's on the top of my list of where to return for more diving. It's also a lot cheaper in Coz. Cayman was expensive. Costa Maya is being newly developed. Belize is one place that's harder to get good diving from the Belize port. Hope that helps.

This is wonderful information! Thanks so very much. I read somewhere once that Cozumel was one of the top three dive locations in the world (the Great Barrier Reef and Grand Caymen were the other two). I will do Grand Caymen and Cozumel this cruise. Now, I just need to figure out how to get out to Australia!

Thanks again!!!

Archived