Did you read about the HOGS?

cruisnfool

While I think cruising is for everyone I'm not sure how I would feel if any group of 1500 monopolized the ship.....I also know its private info but it would be nice to know if any large groups were on your sailing.

Atomica....I am really looking forward to a new cruise experience on the "Z".

Mabel

New to HAL and can't wait to board the Zuiderdam....was checking the RCI boards to see what was going on and there a great thread about a Mariner cruise with 1500 HOGS.......the read was great, I can't imagine!

LOL ... "why I don't do short cruises," by Rita M. Ippoliti. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

My Dad is a Harley dude, as of yet he has not cruised with his bike.
I can imagine what it's like: A bunch of big, hairy guys racing each other around the Promenade Deck or the Sports Deck, riding their bikes up the inside stairs, doing wheelies off the elevators.

:D

While I think cruising is for everyone I'm not sure how I would feel if any group of 1500 monopolized the ship.....I also know its private info but it would be nice to know if any large groups were on your sailing.

That's why travel agents have to mobilize and force the cruise lines' hand in releasing this information. I am sure if some of the people on that RCI cruise knew in advance that a group that large would be onboard, they would have opted to switch to another sailing.

Anytime you have a group that large, a cruise line should have at least one smaller ship in their fleet that they can charter to the group ... and then everyone can be happy. The group gets a sailing that is 100% geared to their preferences, and other passengers are not forced to take a back seat to the needs of the large group.

If the HOGS had cruised on HAL, they could have just taken over an entire ship ... but with RCI there was probably no ship small enough in their fleet to make a charter cost-effective.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I read about it. I felt sorry for the OP that his children had to witness some of the things they did (the incident at the pool would have been enough to make me furious). I wonder how the owner of the cruise line would have felt had his young children or grand children been subjected to the "adult" humor on a so-called family line.

I would have been furious had I spent my hard-earned money on a cruise, only to end up with that group. However, I am sure that not all the 1500 HOGS were like some of the ones mentioned, but what I read made me sick. I'm glad I am on HAL. Honestly, after reading that post, I doubt I'd ever step foot on a RCCL cruise.

Jim, that's true. Actually, maybe they should have considered HAL because then the group would have had a whole ship and wouldn't need to worry about offending others, not that it appears they cared about that.

In our experience on the Westerdam a fully chartered cruise is two times the cost of a "regular" cruise.

jhanna --

This is an instance where HAL's demographic reputation -- right or wrong -- could be a good thing. Such a group wouldn't be attracted to Holland America ships.
I dunno; friend of mine has a picture of her grandfather as a young man sitting on his Indian. If he and his bike were still alive, they would both fit HAL's demo. Did Harley make the Indians?

I think the post has been poofed but I am Diamond on RCI...it doesn't scare me from cruising RCI but I will ask questions.....

The OP was blasted for not doing his homework prior to the cruise but many first time cruisers don't know about this board. Also another poster stated he read on the roll call about the group and cancelled his cruise.

The also relaxed the formal dress code to allow "leather" and don't you think that would have been a sight!

I agree it would have been better to have the whole ship....they could have used the Empress of the Seas.

In our experience on the Westerdam a fully chartered cruise is two times the cost of a "regular" cruise.

That's true of gay cruises or cruises where they bring on tons of extra entertainment (a jazz cruise, for instance) but I think if they stuck with the regular offerings, it would be the same.

The OP was blasted for not doing his homework prior to the cruise but many first time cruisers don't know about this board. Also another poster stated he read on the roll call about the group and cancelled his cruise.

The also relaxed the formal dress code to allow "leather" and don't you think that would have been a sight!

I agree it would have been better to have the whole ship....they could have used the Empress of the Seas.

I saw where the OP was blasted...and that's too bad. The ones who should have been blasted, were the ones who were out of control.

You're right, not everyone knows about CC. Only a small percentage of cruisers find CC (which is hard for me to believe). The very first thing I did prior to our first cruise, was do a search for a forum, and CC poped up right at the top. But not everyone does this.

As for the TA or RCCL telling the other passengers (which was mentioned on the original thread)...I think they do their best (the cruise lines) to keep this info to themselves. Some people are lucky enough to discover this info after doing a little searching, but many don't.

And to relax the dress code for this group is wrong (and I'd imagine it was a sight!). If they were going to make changes like this, they should have made this group charter the entire ship. I'm having a big problem with RCCL at this point.

RCCL should be very careful when allowing this sort of thing to happen. If I had children, I'd probably stick with Disney. Disney should get some of the pool antics footage and make a commercial....What do you want your kids to see...the guy with the fake %^&*@ hanging out, or Mickey hugging your children? It would be an easy decision for me.

I looked and I didn't see it. It must have gotten pulled off the boards.

Gee, I wonder why...

:rolleyes:

Did Harley make the Indians?

Nossirree--

The original Indian Motocycle Company (Not a misspelling) was founded in 1901 in Springfield Massachusetts USA, by bicycle racer George Hendee and Swedish immigrant Oscar Hedstrom.* They were in continuous production in America until 1953, then production moved to Great Britain until the company's demise in 1970. *US production resumed in Gilroy, California by the California Motorcycle Company from 1999-2003 of an Indian branded Harley knockoff, but they too have gone out of business.

New to HAL and can't wait to board the Zuiderdam....was checking the RCI boards to see what was going on and there a great thread about a Mariner cruise with 1500 HOGS.......the read was great, I can't imagine!

I saw your heading and thought you were talking about the HOGS of Arkansas. I just had to plug them.

Archived