Pregnancy & Cruising

Got2bsunny

OK... We are trying to get pregnant (through A.R.T) and are also hoping to go on a last minute cruise deal in Janaury. If I'm pregnant this cycle (and if Dr. gives OK), I would be at the 2 month mark.

Ideally, we were looking at a 7 to 10 day cruise and were leaning towards the Eastern Carribean. However, I've heard that the Eastern Carribean can be a little rougher than the Western Carribean. We have been on one Western Carribean cruise to Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Belize & Cozumel. Also, we are considering a Mexico Riveria cruise but, again, are conserned about how rough the seas get.

Any thoughts and experiences?

Thanks, Pam

Cruisin Chick - Thanks for the info on the MR. I hadn't thought about the fact that they are thinking this is going to be an El Nino year. We really want to go on a cruise in January. I think our first choice is the Eastern Carribean if we find the right deal (prefer oceanview) otherwise we might do a Western Carribean even though that is the one cruise we have done. This will be our second cruise and we were hoping to do something different.

Pam

I was two months pregnant last year and we did the western carribean. We did tubing and hiking and I was fine. I didn't even get sick on the tenders. I couldn't snorkel in Grand Cayman like we always do, I kept gagging when trying to put the breathing thing in my mouth. My hands did swell to twice the size in Mexico after we had walked around Cozumel for about an hour. It took and hour using ice and soap to get my wedding rings off and I haven't been able to put them back on yet and my DD is 5 months old.

What are your primary concerns about cruising while 2 months pregnant (if everything is normal with the pregnancy, that is)? Only 50-70% of people actual experience real morning-sickness, so there is a good chance that you won't be at all queasy. Do you generally get sea sick? If not, then being at sea probably won't worsen any nausea you feel. Furthermore, the doctor can prescribe you morning sickness medication which you can take while at sea, and combining that with ginger ale and sea bands would probably take care of most of your symptoms. Of course, you'll still be in your first trimester, when risk of miscarriage remains high, so you may not want to be so far away from your doctor should any complication arise. Even if it's nothing serious, and it usually turns out okay, if you begin to bleed or cramp and are unable to immediately see a qualified ob/gyn, your trip may be ruined and your anxiety levels may go through the roof, further risking the pregnancy.

So, basically, if the pregnancy is going smoothly, and the doctor seems to think that you won't have any complications, I don't think that fear of sea sickness should keep you home. Just take it easy, and I'm sure it will all be fine, but if there are any complications or strange symptoms, stay home.

• 1 month later...

I was 4 months pregnant on my first cruise (Nov. 1993; old NCL Dream). We left from Florida and did 7 day eastern Caribbean. Seas were normal, never had a lick of problems.

If you're concerned about sea sickness, check with your dr. before you leave re: what you can/can't take and maybe bring some with you.

Otherwise, relax and enjoy!:)

Archived