day on st maarten

shm

we thought about renting a jeep for the day. is the island hard to find yourself around?

We have rented a car twice and driven around all day. It is pretty hard to get lost. The island is very small. The hardest part is getting out and back into town. But the roads are pretty well marked. They will give you a map of the island (we had to ask) when you get the car. One warning: Some of the roads to the less-used beaches are very treacherous. Last year we went to Gallion beach which is just past the Butterfly farm. There were so many horrible pot holes, I didn't think the car was going to make it! :eek: The parking at Orient beach is plentiful. You will definately see a lot of the island this way. You will probably save money if you want to visit a lot of areas or are sharing with other people. Orient beach and Dawn beach are pretty easy to get to. Good luck!:cool:

KHM1

Did you reserve the car ahead of time? was there someone at the pier

renting cars? did you have to go far to get the car? Can you remember the name of the place you rented from? Do you have to have a special driving license? ...how much would that cost? Do you remember about how much you paid to rent the car? I know a lot of questions. but thanks,

Judy

if you can answer them for me.

KHM1

Did you reserve the car ahead of time? was there someone at the pier

renting cars? did you have to go far to get the car? Can you remember the name of the place you rented from? Do you have to have a special driving license? ...how much would that cost? Do you remember about how much you paid to rent the car? I know a lot of questions. but thanks,

Judy

if you can answer them for me.

a) There are 5 rental booths at the pier, Hertz, Budget and 3 locals

b) The cars are kept a couple blocks away; the agency drives you to the cars. You return the car to the booths (5:00 PM is deadline)

c) US license is ok

d) A Corolla is roughly $65 including tax, insurance and gas replenishment.

US insurance is not good here.

Many 'Premium' credit cards will provide collision insurance coverage in St. Maarten, though probably NOT in a place like Jamaica. Check with your Card Company.

I'm not aware of any that cover liability insurance. I would recommend that you purchase this with your rental. We buy it when on-island, and it's about $150 a month.

gary

Archived