Shipping Luggage Ahead

canaandog

Does anyone have any info regarding shipping luggage ahead of yourself? We will be on the ground in Cambodia and Laos for apprx. 2 weeks prior to boarding the Whisper in Singapore for 2 more weeks. Obviously the clothes needed for the first part of our trip and those needed for the cruise are somewhat different. We don't really want to have to drag all of the stuff for the cruise around with us for the 2 weeks on the ground. I am hoping that someone can advise how I might go about shipping my cruise stuff ahead of me to the ship or at least to Singapore, either from home before leaving, or from Bangkok, when I first arrive in southeast asia. Thanks.

We're doing the Agra Land Programme before our Mumbai to Dubai sailing in March '07 and had to find a way to transport our luggage to the ship. Our travel agent recommended International Port Services 1-800-395-8810.

She also contacted SS for us regarding their Airport Ease service.

Hope the info helps.

Here is info from SS about their luggage service:

"Thank you for your interest in Silversea's Airport Ease luggage service. For our guests' convenience, we offer round-trip and one-way services. We require that the luggage is ready for pick by DHL at least 14 business days prior to departure and our prices are based on the weight and number of pieces being shipped. Included in our prices each piece of luggage is automatically insured up to $2,000.00 USD. Should the value of there items exceed this amount, we recommend purchasing specific travel insurance to supplement the higher value of their items. Once you decide which service you wish to purchase, an overnight DHL package will be sent to your home with special luggage tags and Custom clearance documentation to send with your suitcase(s). All you need to do is make a clear copy of your passport to include in the documentation packet and sign where applicable on the forms.

Ms. DeAnn Koehler

Guest Relations & Venetian Society

Silversea Cruises Ltd.

Direct Line + 94.713.4043"

There are quite a few luggage shipping companies available. We have used them. Google: 'shipping luggage' and you will have lots of choices. DHL is usually twice as much as some of these services. We ship the luggage to the hotel and have the concierge send us an e-mail when it arrives. Hope that helps. Have a great trip.

BEWARE!!!! We had contacted SS re: sending luggage..they use DHL..which was VERY expensive. we then contacted "Luggage Forwad" which was extremely effiicent & a very fair price. We were to have it shipped to the ship & the day before they were to pick it up...I received a call that "SS would not accept it"...no explanation given. Fortunately, we were spending 2 nigghts before at a hotel, & they very willingly accepted it & held it for us. We have never received a reason why they refused it , the only thing that has been put forward by staff on the ship, is the fact that they use DHL, and probably get a kickback.. ...their reasobning..not mine!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've used IPS in the past and have been very pleased with their service. I called them this morning about shipping my luggage for my upcoming sailing on SS from Rio to Barbados but unfortunately they don't provide services out of either country. Betty explained to me that they have a list of countries which make shipping difficult (customs and such) or which are not safe to ship in and out of, and unfortunately this list is growing longer with all the problems there are worldwide. I'll certainly use them for my next cruise which starts and ends in approved ports.

I've used IPS in the past and have been very pleased with their service. I called them this morning about shipping my luggage for my upcoming sailing on SS from Rio to Barbados but unfortunately they don't provide services out of either country. The manager explained to me that they have a list of countries which make shipping difficult (customs and such) or which are not safe to ship in and out of, and unfortunately this list is growing longer with all the problems there are worldwide. I'll certainly use them for my next cruise which starts and ends in approved ports.

Archived