Snorkel-mart or Wintech snorkel?

queeni

We are taking my 11 year old daughter on her first cruise in January. For Christmas I would like to get a prescription snorkel mask for her and I need some advice.

First, I don't want to spend too much as we don't snorkel that often, however, I can't see taking her on an excursion that she can't enjoy because everything is a blurry blob. I see that Snorkel-mart and Wintech snorkeling have them for around $60(mask and lenses). Has anyone had problems with either of these companies or the lower priced prescription mask?

Also, I think I should get her a meduim sized adult mask. She is almost as tall as I am and the same shoe size, so she is growing fast. She just got new glasses this week and the frames were a child's 36, which was the largest child size. In fact she tried on some ladies frames and they seemed to fit fine. Has anyone ordered these for a tween and how was the fit?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Sorry I cannot help you with size guidance. It IS important, 'cause too big will leak :(

But I can assure you that Wintech is reputable. I was extremely satisfied with their product, service and quick service (this was in August though, holidays may be a different story). They were referred to me on another dive forum on the 'net. I have horrible eyesight and this prescription mask was EXACTLY what I needed. It worked wonderfully while snorkeling and diving.

• 2 weeks later...

Fit on a mask depends on the shape of the face not just the size. Is there any way you can have her try on the mask before you order? Can you order through a local dive shop where you can get hands on help with the fit? A properly fitting mask will make the trip much more comfortable by not only not leaking but by also avoiding uncomfortable pressure spots. Masks vary in the way they fit, there is no way to tell fit based on a catalogue description.

Kent

PADI OWSI

Archived