NCC Majesty? Old and Decrepted?

Aerobic1

The NCC Majesty caught my eye because it has Key West and is very inexpensive. Any thoughts on this board? I'm going with some first timers one set in their 60's the other 45's and I have been on older smaller ships before and had a good experience. We're looking at Feb. 2007 out of Charleston which is a very pretty area.

My concerns are from the reviews. Yes its older and smaller, but the price of under $400 for a week is attractive to one on a small budget. At the same time it offers two ports that I've never been to in the 7 yrs I've been cruising. My other concern is the attentiveness of waiters due to the freestyle dining approach and hoping that my first timers, who tho not picky are not disappointed.

Any thoughts appreciated.

My opinion only---If a first time cruiser is "cut out" for this little passion we have, they'll probably love any ship they are on. And in opposite, if they aren't, they'll probably not have a good time on any ship.

You, on the other hand, have cruised smaller ships and have enjoyed them. With budget being a concern, I'd go for it (especially with the "new" ports)

BTW-my condolences to the State of Michigan on the passing of Bo.

-Monte

The Majesty is old, but it's not falling apart. The crew takes really good care of her. The crew will also take really good care of you. You'll have a great time aboard, I did two summers ago.

What its age effects has more to do with its design. It has smaller cabins, a smaller number of balcony cabins and suites, and more inside cabins; a very small cafeteria/buffet, fewer restaurants and bar/lounges; and the ship is small compared to ships being built today, although it was average in size, neither the smallest nor largest, when built. That doesn't mean you can't have a good time.

The NCC Majesty caught my eye because it has Key West and is very inexpensive. Any thoughts on this board? I'm going with some first timers one set in their 60's the other 45's and I have been on older smaller ships before and had a good experience. We're looking at Feb. 2007 out of Charleston which is a very pretty area.

My concerns are from the reviews. Yes its older and smaller, but the price of under $400 for a week is attractive to one on a small budget. At the same time it offers two ports that I've never been to in the 7 yrs I've been cruising. My other concern is the attentiveness of waiters due to the freestyle dining approach and hoping that my first timers, who tho not picky are not disappointed.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I agree that $400 for a week is a great deal. I really don't think you'll be disappointed with the Majesty. My husband and I had no trouble with service the last time. Granted, it's been almost two years since I was on the ship so take that into consideration. We're very excited to be sailing on the Majesty again. :)

I agree that $400 for a week is a great deal. I really don't think you'll be disappointed with the Majesty. My husband and I had no trouble with service the last time. Granted, it's been almost two years since I was on the ship so take that into consideration. We're very excited to be sailing on the Majesty again. :)

I just booked a cabin on the Dream for less than $300 a week. Love NCL fare prices on its older ships. :) ;) :)

We sailed Majesty this September and last. Yes, the furniture in 822 had a few nicks in the wood, and for some unknown reason the elevator doors and the brass-colored moldings surrounding them have an assortment of dents, but other than that the ship is holding up quite well.

It has more of a classic ship's decor than the newer NCl ships, and, amazingly, has more public rooms designed for group presentations or shows (Palace theater, Royal Fireworks, Frame 52) than the Jewel, which has only two (Stardust theater and Spinnaker lounge). If you're looking for a comfortable ship, this is one. If you insist on being dazzled by atria, rock walls, and the like, look elsewhere.

Service and food are the high points for the Majesty, so I wouldn't let that aspect of the cruise concern you. The interior public areas are very well maintained, although the decor is a bit more subdued from some of the newer ships. Some of the lounges are attractive and comfortable.

The cabins are clean but some wear is apparent. It won't make you uncomfortable. I've been in some expensive hotels that are certainly worse.

Perhaps the areas of the Majesty that shows age the most is the exterior public areas. The furniture near the pool needs to be replaced with something a bit newer and fresher, and the lounging chairs are in need of repair or replacement. The whole are could use an overhaul.

I'm sure this ship, even when she leaves NCL service, will be servicable for many years to come. The next owners will surely undertake some refurbishment, and the Majesty may be around for another 15 years or more.

If you go expecting to be on a 15 year old vessel, then you might be pleasantly surprised by your experience. If you are expecting perfection and glizt, then you may be disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Well I can't wait. I was on the Dream last year and loved it - I have nothing to compare it to but I'm sure I'm going to love the Majesty just as much. I knew then and I know now what I'm getting into. Everyone who complains should take one of these: chillpill.gif

I regret to say some need two. ;)

Our first (and only cruise so far) was on the Majesty last Feb and we loved it. We had decided the ports and ease of getting to port were a good starting point and we found being on the smaller ship for our first trip to be a bonus. The seas were rough the first day to day and a half which was hard for some folks but fine for others. We found the staff to be wonderful and the service to be great. This cruise definitley convinced us we are cruisers..

HI,

We were on Majesty for the 10/08 repositioning cruise and really loved it.

Yes, she is older but that also tends to add character.

Some of the oustside deck areas were being refurbished as we cruised and though the deck chairs are not new there was nothing actually wrong with them. It never stopped us from missing a sunset on the upper deck.

The crew was most attentive and friendly.

We had 2 great cabin attendants who left towel animals every night of the cruise. On some of the larger ships you do not find this.

The buffet area is smaller than on the larger ships but they try to expand as best that they can by utilizing the stations on the pool deck. The made to order omelets at breakfast were wonderful. You will also find fresh fruit out there in the morning. Dinner each night included a carving station. Ice cream every afternoon and at dinner.

The dining rooms were both quite good and the service most efficient. We also happened to be sailing for the first week with the new menu. Though we only went to the dining room twice for dinner we found the menu to have several good choices. Try the ecargot! I love garlic and this really fit the bill.

Happy cruising!

Actually, the Majesty has NO balcony cabins. I just wanted to clear that up for a first time Majesty passenger who may try to book one. lol!

The Majesty is old, but it's not falling apart. The crew takes really good care of her. The crew will also take really good care of you. You'll have a great time aboard, I did two summers ago.

What its age effects has more to do with its design. It has smaller cabins, a smaller number of balcony cabins and suites, and more inside cabins; a very small cafeteria/buffet, fewer restaurants and bar/lounges; and the ship is small compared to ships being built today, although it was average in size, neither the smallest nor largest, when built. That doesn't mean you can't have a good time.

We thought our cruise on the Majesty was a good value. It wasn't a glitzy ship, and it was showing its age, but the staff was very friendly. We prefered to eat in the four seasons (mid ship) since it was smaller, and we had much better luck with beverage service in there.

I missed having a chair or loveseat in the cabin; I thought the theatre was oddly shaped, and made it difficult for the performers; I missed having lounge chairs on the promenade deck (one day, I was on that deck, and went to the elevator-when the doors opened up, there was a guy with a lounge chair that he had carried down from the top deck).

I loved the martini tasting,and the trivia.

LOVE the Majesty!! Yes, she's not glitzy but she's like that great cottage that you visit at the cape every year -- comfortable, familiar, and just a great ship on which to relax and enjoy-- and you CAN'T BEAT the itinerary from Boston to Bermuda!:D

And yes, we've been on the "bigger, better" cruise ships...

We were on the ship for the ELEVENTH TIME in September..since the last tiime there has been new upholstery, and rugs...The staff is incredible...they alway have been... If you looking for climbing walls, ice skating rinks, and all sorts of glitz are NOT on the ship...neither are balconies..lol..but if your looking for a wonderful crew and a do-able ship...this is it.. On our cruise I talked with the Captain (yes, I really did) and asked why they wanted to take this ship out of service... his answer was....its like new cars.. everybody wants bigger and better with more bells.......WE DON'T we love smaller ships.. The ship except for a small problem this week inBermuda is running fine.. We loved the Pasta Restaurant...hopefully they have changed the menu...The ship is immaculate..they are always cleaning and painting. We did Roya Caribbean a few years ago and I just couldn't wait to go back to my NCL.. I could write a book about that cruise.. Last year we cruised Celebrity Century...andas much as we loved that jewel of a ship..I miseed the Free Style Dining. If you want glitz.. this ship is not for you.. just leave it for me..

Definitely a "feel good" albeit smaller ship. when you consider it was built originally as a ferry... then converted then stretched.. and been in service all this time, The Majesty has a loyal following... you cant beat the service...and just try to match up a 7 day vacation in Bermuda with air out of Boston or Charleston adding in your meals.. and hotels.. when in St George its only a hop skip and a jump up to Tobacco Bay and a few other beaches.. in fact last september (hi parrot mom and hotspur) we loved it so much we only ate in the dining room once in 7 days because we were sooooooooooooo relaxed up on deck and ate there and used the Bistro twice during the week.. you really can only enjoy yourself onboard.. i'd sail her again in a heartbeat to whereever...

Weary

Definitely a "feel good" albeit smaller ship. when you consider it was built originally as a ferry... then converted then stretched.. and been in service all this time, The Majesty has a loyal following... you cant beat the service...and just try to match up a 7 day vacation in Bermuda with air out of Boston or Charleston adding in your meals.. and hotels.. when in St George its only a hop skip and a jump up to Tobacco Bay and a few other beaches.. in fact last september (hi parrot mom and hotspur) we loved it so much we only ate in the dining room once in 7 days because we were sooooooooooooo relaxed up on deck and ate there and used the Bistro twice during the week.. you really can only enjoy yourself onboard.. i'd sail her again in a heartbeat to whereever...

Weary

A ferry...that's the first I heard of that...lol. We were on the ship the week after the sale to NCL was announced...and again when they engineers were checking out the original pool. Yes, it's the best way to get to Bermuda and most affordable.. I just think of it as a floating hotel.. with the beauty being that it STAYS IN ONE SPOT.. I pity the people who cruise and Monday is St. Thomas (congested with cruisers), Tuesday is another port, Wedneday another port... I notice many cruises in Europe are staying overnight.. especially in Venice and Rome..

The latest within the week news is that a new menu has been instituted on NCL..I hope so...we ate in the Pasta Restaurant and loved it..

'BTW tomorrow Ithink they announce the itinerary of the NCL Gem... it's cruising next December 3rd from Barcelona to .................BOSTON!!! supposedly only ten days..but wouldn't it be a blast to be on that ship.. I'm waiting to see what ports they are going to.. Okay, so it's not the wonderful LITTLE Majesty, but cruising from Barcelona (was there last year) to Boston is the biggest plus...no matter what..

'BTW tomorrow Ithink they announce the itinerary of the NCL Gem... it's cruising next December 3rd from Barcelona to .................BOSTON!!! supposedly only ten days..but wouldn't it be a blast to be on that ship.. I'm waiting to see what ports they are going to...

This December's 10-night Pearl crossing to Miami has NO ports, so I'm betting next year's 9-night Gem crossing will have NO ports, as well. Pearl pricing starts at under $500, and minisuites are under $700 at internet TA's, however, so, for those who like sea days, could be a good deal.

We're thinking of the 12-night Gem Med cruise to Morocco, Canaries, Spain, Portugal followed by the trans-Atlantic crossing to Boston. The trans-Atlantic might not be too many more $$ than a flight home from Barcelona.

As much as I love days at sea, I'm hoping they toss in some ports on what so far I've heard is a ten day cruise to Boston.. In any case. Celebrity has 17 and a 14 day cruise at the same time which includes ports in Morocco, Canary Islands, Gibraltar and on the 14 day Antigua, Barbados and St. Maartin... You can bet I'll be calling NCL Monday just to see what's up with their Gem

Archived