How are the Jeep tours? Worth $$ ?

Thoth

Trying to figure if we need a lot of "shopping" time before heading back on the ship. We normally don't make super expensive purchases...just an ornament or two, maybe a small piece of jewelry. Is the shopping district fairly "compacted", or is it spread out? How much time would you say for a "quick, but not rushed" shopping spree? :D

i am not a shopper but the shopping area looked fairly compact around the docking area of the ship. we had plenty of time to shop if we had wanted to. there is some shopping at the rum factory hat, tshirts shot glasses etc. We did some shopping in Cozumel and at Bayside Market in Miami but that was about it.

We'll be in GC on the Miracle March 6th and I emailed to book their jeep tour. They emailed back that there was no jeep tour being offered at that time. Has anyone else booked with them lately? We thought the tour sounded good and less expensive then the ship's. Any feedback is appreciated!!

My wife and I did the Grand Cayman Jeep Adventure. We booked it while on the Carnival Conquest - it was greatly hyped by the cruise director. It was basically ten jeeps following a lead jeep with a radio transmitter. The good news - I got to drive, rather than being cramed in the back seat of the jeep, like the other couple also assigned to our jeep. Unfortunately the radio transmitter was acting up, so we didn't get the full benefit of the tour. We did get in some good snorkeling during the brief stop at the resort. It would have probably been a good tour apart from the radio problems, but even so, it is not likely I would have walked away thinking it was worth $100.00 a pop. Due to the radio problems, we did get a partial refund from Carnival.

My wife and I did the Grand Cayman Jeep Adventure. We booked it while on the Carnival Conquest - it was greatly hyped by the cruise director. It was basically ten jeeps following a lead jeep with a radio transmitter. The good news - I got to drive, rather than being cramed in the back seat of the jeep, like the other couple also assigned to our jeep. Unfortunately the radio transmitter was acting up, so we didn't get the full benefit of the tour. We did get in some good snorkeling during the brief stop at the resort. It would have probably been a good tour apart from the radio problems, but even so, it is not likely I would have walked away thinking it was worth $100.00 a pop. Due to the radio problems, we did get a partial refund from Carnival.

Yikes, that might be the tour I'm on. Well maybe mine will go better. Grand Cayman didn't offer much for those who wish to stay dry. I'll do my swimming in the ship's pool.

Not everybody gets a turn driving? For 100$ I think they should switch drivers so every adult gets a go.

I have to be honest, driving on the left side of the road was one of the coolest parts of the tour! And in all fairness, the guide was personable and knowledgeable - when we could hear him. We were told that radio problems were almost unheard of, but of coarse I have nothing to base that on other than our own experience. In order to drive, you have to obtain a temporary drivers license (I still have mine as a souvenir). The tour guide has the paper work for you to fill out. So, if you are going on the tour a couple of things to shoot for. Get signed up for a temporary license. Then, try to get as close to the lead jeep as you can. We were eight jeeps back. My understanding is that the first few jeeps had no problems hearing even with the transmitter problems. I am sure several people could drive, it would simply be a matter of coordinating it with the other folks in your jeep, and making sure everyone got the necessary licenses. My experience was probably hampered by three things – I am cheap by nature, the cruise director hyped this tour so much that my expectations were probably overly high (okay, in reality it was my wife’s idea – one strike already – I wanted to snorkel the entire day!), and the people in the back of the jeep complained the entire way! We did get to see a lot of what turned out to be our favorite island of the trip. I hope you enjoy it immensely!

• 2 weeks later...

Will be in GC in April and need to contact Island Marketing.

I sent an e-mail to them from their website, but have not heard back yet. It's been a couple days now. How long do they usually take to respond to e-mails?

Is there a better way to contact them - a direct e-mail address to one of the guides mentioned in this post?

Thanks for your help.

Will be in GC in April and need to contact Island Marketing.

I sent an e-mail to them from their website, but have not heard back yet. It's been a couple days now. How long do they usually take to respond to e-mails?

Is there a better way to contact them - a direct e-mail address to one of the guides mentioned in this post?

Thanks for your help.

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/

Go to the website and click on the "Live Chat" button on the left hand site of the page. They can take reservations right then and there, easier than waiting for an email back. HTH!

Archived