child w/ food allergies & diabetes

steve328is

Hopefully some can give us some insight. This is our 1st cruise w/ the kids. Our one son has type on Diabetes and a food allergy to wheat and gluten. I know that the ship will provide food at meals that are accomadating so I have be told. How about someone who watch my son re: the diabetes. I mean he is pretty much self sufficent. He is 11yrs. but just need someone who is responsible to keep an eye over him..but will allow him to participate like the other kids. Our other kids are 9 and 15 yrs old. How does it work on the ship with kids their ages? Do we pay for someone to watch them...? We are going on the Disney Wonder Dec 2.

Hi,

ok the first thing to do, which you may of done already, is to have your doctor fill out the medical form about your son. Send it to DCL right away. You can print it off on line.

Ok then be sure and tell whom ever you booked with about the food allergies and diabetes so they can note it on your reservation too.

The first night your waiter should mention something about this, if not ask him if he was informed about your sons allergies. It is the head servers job to tell the wait staff, but make sure!!!

We have cruised with people with food allergies before and my husband is a diabetic too, so we do this everytime.

You do not pay for someone to watch your child. All kids are welcome in the clubs a slong as they dont need one on one medical attention, they can tdo that. But once they are told of his condition they will be alerted to keep an eye out if he seems to be acting strange they will page you immediately!

They have many kids who are diabetic on the cruises, so this will not be something new to them. Since your son is older it will make it easier, he can check himself in and out of the club if he feels the need to have to leave.

Alos during the free time in the clubs your 9 year old will be in the same area as your 11 year old which may help too. I dont know if he is alert to what to watch for in your sons health. Structured events are 8 to 10 year olds together I believe and then 11 and 12 together.

There are also many events in studio sea for the entire family, so you can keep an eye on him while your having fun.

make sure he wears his medical ID tag too where the counselors can easily see it to know it is there because counselors do trade off and a new one may not know about your sons condition without it.

The counselors are awesome on board, I'm sure they will do a great job with him.

Our grandson is mildly autistic and cant speak and can do repetitive things. They wre just great at letting him play and keeping an eye on him so he didnt start to hit other kids. He never has, but he might under those circumstances. we often stayed with him in the club to see how he would react, of course he was only 3 years old and barely able to make the requirements to get into the clubs.

There are lots of foods available, everywhere, so be careful if he is the kind to cheat on his diet. some do and some dont. But food is every where.

If he can have fresh fruit for a snack goofys galley has lots of it, get aplate full and put it in the cooler in your room and save for when he may need some foods right away, much faster in a pinch than a restaurant.

My husband often needs some food ASAP with all the physical activity on board, so we keep fruit in the room and soem snacks from home he can have in apinch.

I wish you all a very Magical cruise,

mom x4,grandma x4

• 2 weeks later...

Archived