CC Passenger beatin by mexican police

Enchanted

Does anyone have any info about a Carnival passenger that was beatin and arested by Mexican police in Costa Maya on Nov 10/06. I was on the HAL ship Westerdam in port that day. I can't remember the name of the Carnival ship. I know that his wife/girlfriend had got off the ship with all their luggage. She seemed very distraught and confused.

Cool, an old fashioned Chicago arrest! He was probably trying to buy *****... yes the girlfriend would be very distraught, but I would have stayed on board, of course maybe she was put ashore by Carnival...

Many questions, who was on board? Kind of old news though, ususally rumors happen quicker, that was a month and a half ago... both the Miracle and the Valor were supposed to be there that day...

The OP is actually my hubby 'married on enchantment' (he thought he was still logged on).

We caught the tail end of it when the man was being bound from the waist to the feet and hog tied. My parents who were also travelling with us had been watching for about an hour the other couple in our group were watching from when the male was in the water and the commotion started but didn't see how he actually got in the water.

Of course the stories get exagerated and some ppl said he jumped off the ship or it was a suicide attempt etc.

However, there were about 800 ppl watching and we figured someone may have seen it from the start or got more details on the ship.

I have worked in law enforcement for the past 16 years and have never seen a prisoner be bound or treated like that... then again, i dont live in Mexico.

When we got off the ship in the morning there were police present with a drug dog and there was also some speculation that the male had drugs on him and jumped off the peer when he was questioned.

Why would they beat him for trying to buy *****, if that's what he was doing?

Nov. 10th was a week and 3 days ago. Does that make it not worthy of inquiry?

*****= Joke

The OP stated Nov 10/06, I read it as October 6th and was six weeks ago, the slash caught me off guard :)

That was actually on our ship, the Miracle Costa Maya Nov 10, 2006...We walked back to the ship and saw the ambulance and all of the bags, heard all kinds of stories about this guy starting a fight and then getting arrested so he jumped in and all kinds of stuff...we are friends with one of the girls that worked on the ship and I asked her about it because I had heard so many stories....apparently she said that the guy was attempting suicide. He went to the gift shop and purchased thousands of dollars worth of jewelry (she knew most of this b/c her bf works in the gift shop as the manager) anyway, he went in and purchased a ton of jewelry and left a suicide note with the jewelry and who it was all supposed to go to. He then at some point jumped off the pier (not the boat) in between the ship and the pier trying to commit suicide (maybe he thought he would get lost under the boat but seriously a dumb idea, if he was going for it he should have jumped at 4am off the back while it was at sea) But anyhow, that's what happened. He was hog tied because he was under the influence and resisting immensly. My friend described him as a middle aged man and my hubby was asking what he looked like because he thought he knew who it was...turns out my hubby talked to the guy on the ship and said he was very odd and that he seemed like he was on something, extremely fidgety and grinding his teeth and mumbling to himself a lot and sweating... so that's the story from a crew memeber to me word for word...all i know is that the guy might as well have killed himself than be in a mexican mental hospital, b/c that's the last place someone wants to be...

he was very odd and that he seemed like he was on something, extremely fidgety and grinding his teeth and mumbling to himself a lot and sweating...

Classic signs of Meth user.

Everytime I have gone to Mexico the Mexican Ploice are always at the port and with there with there dogs and M-16's.

I have been in law enforcement for 20 years and have had to shackle and hog tie several people who were so far out of control not to do so would allow them to harm themsleves and others. Same thing happens in prison's all the time.

Jakesplace. On the other hand Merida is such a safe city that most of the center city police are not armed. However, there are patrols that cruise the area that are suitably armed. For a city of one million, it has to be one of the safest citys I've visited, but I've felt that way all over the Yucatan State and Campeche. I have slim hopes of returning in Feb for Carnival.

Archived