Cruise Insurance

Lady of the Lakes

In light of the recent virus on the Carnival Ship I was just wondering what happens if you do not have cruise insurance??? Do they cover you or are you on your own:confused:

It is my understanding, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. I would NEVER cruise without insurance. It is very inexpensive compared to the benefit you get if you need it. You just never know when there might be a death in the family or a family emergency right at time to cruise. Without insurance, chances are you will loose your money, but if it is a qualifying event it will cover almost everything. More importantly, the medical care on the ship is very limited. If something serious happens to you, they might have to fly you to a hospital in port. Travel insurance would cover that. From what I understand, your regular medical insurance probably would not. Depending on the cost of your cruise, you can get a good policy for probably a maximum of $125.00.

In light of the recent virus on the Carnival Ship I was just wondering what happens if you do not have cruise insurance??? Do they cover you or are you on your own:confused:

If I understand you right, you are asking about the fees for using the infirmary and doctors services. I am fairly certain cruise insurance does not cover these charges. But I am also unsure if they charged under the circumstances.

Cruise insurance not only covers the cost of your cruise but it also has medical coverage and will pay if you have to be flown off the ship for illness.

Someone traveling with us was very ill, had lots of tests and had an infirmary bill of over $4000. Travel insurance paid it.

Sashalanda. Medicare DOES NOT cover us outside of the US.

Then I am going back there again before my cruise and get them to put in writing what they told me last week. It is very possible I got two idiots at our office lol. Thanks, I will definately make another trip up there for something in writing from them. They said it would as long as it was not in the line of military duty or employment..doh like a disabled person is going to be working lol. Thanks for the heads up.

Sashalada. Medicare doesn't cover outside the US however your supplemental may. Mine does in general but not everything. And foreign care givers don't accept insurance assignments, so you have to depend on reimbursement from the health insurance company.

From what I have always heard, the ships treatment for Norovirus in an outbreak is at no cost to the guest.

As much as I pay every month for my blue cross blue shield, it better cover me lol. I also know my medicare covers out of the country. Think I will call bc/bs to be sure but fairly certain they do.

As others have said, Medicare doesn't cover you outside the USA. Something else you need to know is if your Medicare Supplement covers you.

Even though Medicare Supplements say they cover what Medicare doesn't, that doesn't mean that if Medicare isn't obligated to pay, that every Supplemental plan will pay. You need to call them to find out.

If they don't pay everything, that's a good reason to get travel insurance.

Cruise insurance not only covers the cost of your cruise but it also has medical coverage and will pay if you have to be flown off the ship for illness.

Someone traveling with us was very ill, had lots of tests and had an infirmary bill of over $4000. Travel insurance paid it.

Like most things in life, it depends. There are travel insurance plans out there that do not cover your medical bills. If you need it, be sure it's included in the coverage -- better to find out beforehand.

Archived