How often do cruise directors change ships?

misssea

I was wondering just how often cruise directors stay with one ship. We are cruising next April on the Miracle and after reading many reviews, I was looking forward to having Todd as CD. Now they have a new guy and the reviews are so-so. Should I just assume that the CD who just started there (Mark something) will be there or is there a possibility that another CD will be there by then?

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme/reason (they can change very quickly) except that when a new ship is placed into service they usually cruise with the ‘crème of the crop’ for at least the first several months (and, that goes for not only CDs but Purser, Maitre D’, etc). In 2004 I cruised on the Spirit four times within a four-month period and had four different CDs. I believe Todd is on a break right now and is expected to head to Alaska to take over as CD on the Spirit for the final half of the season. I imagine from there he'll do the ‘repo’ cruises and end up in San Diego.

Nope, I wouldn't assume 'Mark' will be CD on your cruise next April. Chances are the CD will be different. If it’s the Mark I cruised with once last year, I hope they will select someone else once the Miracle homeports in Tampa.

CDs don’t ‘make/break’ my cruise but they certainly can enhance a cruise. I’ll probably always remember Corey Schmidt as my favorite, and I enjoyed my cruises with Todd Wittmer.

Archived