Anyone heard of "Passion Island"?

Donna42

we are sailing on carnival fascination in 2 weeks and will be in cozumel from 1p-10p. i noticed one of the other beaches we were looking at says it closes at 5pm which would not leave us alot of time for enjoying the beach. also what is the cost of this beach and do they run a shuttle this late?

we are sailing on carnival fascination in 2 weeks and will be in cozumel from 1p-10p. i noticed one of the other beaches we were looking at says it closes at 5pm which would not leave us alot of time for enjoying the beach. also what is the cost of this beach and do they run a shuttle this late?

You can get price and beach information at tourcozumeldot net. You may want to email them about hours, I do know cozumel is now same as TX or cst time. Sorry wish I could help more.

I have been looking forward to this excursion ever since I first found the site and started researching it. Now, it just keeps sounding better & better!! My DS23 loves to snorkel and my DD16 is really into photography...so I know that each of them will be occupied doing something they will want to do. My DH & I are perfectly content laying in the sun with our toes buried in the sand and a cold drink in our hand! ;)

:) Kim, your DS23 needs to know that the snorkeling will be different than other places in Cozumel, like Paradise Beach. There is lots of sand and not much under the water for fish to hide in so there is not as much to look at. There is plenty of nice soft sand.

I have been looking forward to this excursion ever since I first found the site and started researching it. Now, it just keeps sounding better & better!! My DS23 loves to snorkel and my DD16 is really into photography...so I know that each of them will be occupied doing something they will want to do. My DH & I are perfectly content laying in the sun with our toes buried in the sand and a cold drink in our hand! ;)

Yes im so ready for our day at passion in not planning on doing anything but sitting in hammock.:D

So has anyone been to Passion Island recently, like in the last month or so?

I was there Sat...what do you need to know?

We were the only Carnival cruisers there. There was however, a group of RCCL cruisers there on a ship sponsored excursion, and altogether the island is very peaceful and quiet.

Just an FYI for those who get car sick...the road you drive to get to Passion Island is gravel and has huge pot holes in it. The cab drivers try their best to get around the holes, making for a lot of twisting and winding. I was getting pretty queasy. (and while I never really felt unsafe, the thought did cross my mind that we were alone on this long road and it would be very easy to be ambushed) We had to wait on the boat to come and get us, (about a 30 min wait..and it was HOT!), so our trip out to Passion Island took an hour and 15 mins. And I was not impressed on the boat ride back, when the head hancho introduced the young cook and then asked everyone to give him a tip. The young man then walks around with his cook's hat in his hand and holds it up in front of everyone expecting a tip. I know these people need money, but it was very tacky! We had to ask 3 people to call ahead for a taxi for us for the return trip...they acted like they didn't know how to use a phone.

They closed the island at 12:15 local time and it was known to everyone that is was time to leave. When I say closed...I mean that as in everyone goes home. The guy in charge joked that it was time for his afternoon siesta!

The Island itself is gorgeous, the food was good, and the staff were nice. It is a very pretty place to visit, but for me, it was way too much time and effort out of my day when Paradise Beach or Nachi Cocum are just as pretty (this is only my opinion, mind you) and it doesn't take NEARLY as much effort to get to. (and I like being able to leave when *I* am ready)

I'm not going to say to not go, it just all depends on what you're after. Some people LOVE it...I talked to a lady from RCCL who was there for a second time in a month. It just wasn't a good experience for me and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Just my opinion!!

Is this place fun for kids? I'm a little leery of the Playa Mia escape just because I've been reading on Trip Advisor's boards that it's incredibly crowded. This sounds much nicer, but I'm wondering if my kids will be bored. (They are aged 5, 6 and 8.)

Is this place fun for kids? I'm a little leery of the Playa Mia escape just because I've been reading on Trip Advisor's boards that it's incredibly crowded. This sounds much nicer, but I'm wondering if my kids will be bored. (They are aged 5, 6 and 8.)

Hi scooper4~

From everything that I've read...there's plenty for the young ones to do. (Water trampoline, go-karts, beach volley ball, paddle boats, and a kid's area.....and sand...lots of it, for building their castles!) The older crowd will enjoy the hammocks, palapas, Mexican buffet and open bar!

:) Thanks for your review. I have been to both Passion Island and Paradise Beach and don't think that you can compare the two. I've been to both and I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Passion Island is so much more secluded, and half the fun is seeing the countryside of the island. I like both Paradise Beach and Passion Island but see them as totally different excursions. I'm sorry you didn't have a better time.

The Island itself is gorgeous, the food was good, and the staff were nice. It is a very pretty place to visit, but for me, it was way too much time and effort out of my day when Paradise Beach or Nachi Cocum are just as pretty (this is only my opinion, mind you) !

I have to agree with you, I have been to Cozumel 3 times, the mango salsa was great! but the beach was not worth the long drive in the jungle or what every you want to call that road. I have since then found beautiful beaches without much effort to get there.

letsgocruz1 & caribbean dreams:

Thank you for your reviews of Passion Island...pointing out the good & the bad.

So, I just want to see if I have this right...you liked the island, the amenities and the seclusion, it's mainly getting there that was a problem for you ... correct?

I got an excellent group rate, so we are booked to go there in June. We are all getting there via "The Twister" (a high powered speedboat) - so the condition of the road and the length of time it takes to get there won't be an issue for us. As long as the island and beach are as described, I think we will all be happy.

So, I just want to see if I have this right...you liked the island, the amenities and the seclusion, it's mainly getting there that was a problem for you ... correct?

Not only the ride but although it was beautiful, there are equally beautiful beaches on the island that don't cost as much to get to.

I was fine but my kids were a bit bored.

(they were 16 &17 at the time.

Not only the ride but although it was beautiful, there are equally beautiful beaches on the island that don't cost as much to get to.

Well, I'm still planning on going to Passion Island in June. I've been to those other beaches...I'm ready for a secluded beautiful beach. :)

I can only think of one beach that has AI and the seclusion..:confused:

I can only think of one beach that has AI and the seclusion..:confused:

I don't think i said secluded, i said "Beautiful" but if you want seclusion try Playa Xhanan or Playa Bonita, remote, beautiful and complete with Mayan ruins.

Although It's is a farther drive than Passion.

Also directly across the Island is Playa Chen Rio, nice & relaxing.

I don't think i said secluded, i said "Beautiful" but if you want seclusion try Playa Xhanan or Playa Bonita, remote, beautiful and complete with Mayan ruins.

Although It's is a farther drive than Passion.

Also directly across the Island is Playa Chen Rio, nice & relaxing.

Ok, but none above are all inclusive, plus I would not put my child in water at anyplace other than chen rio.. Your idea of saving money or time dont hold water.

Ok, but none above are all inclusive, plus I would not put my child in water at anyplace other than chen rio.. Your idea of saving money or time dont hold water.

I don't think i said "inclusive" either, but there is a nice inclusive resort i know of which i did not list.:rolleyes:

You stick with your beaches and i'll stick with mine.

I did not post my personal opinion to be argued with!

Or are we not supposed to have opinions around here any more?

Read the other posts, i'm not the only one that said there were other beautiful beaches.

I don't think i said "inclusive" either, but there is a nice inclusive resort i know of which i did not list.:rolleyes:

You stick with your beaches and i'll stick with mine.

I did not post my personal opinion to be argued with!

Or are we not supposed to have opinions around here any more?

Read the other posts, i'm not the only one that said there were other beautiful beaches.

Gosh I'm not the one being argumentative.:rolleyes: All I'm saying is point me to a beach that has free transportation, all inclusive, seclusion, and "is beautiful"for the same price, or less. Yes all opinions are welcomed, its what the board is for. But please if you say you can get the same for less and it provides the same amenities, name it, don't just say it can be done.

I am using the phrase New Passion Island because is seems to have changed a lot in the last three months.

1) Since they have opened it up to tours are they still trying to control the number of people there? Last time we went there was only 33 people the last two hours we were there.

2) With ATVs, GoKarts etc is it still a peaceful place? The peace and quiet was one of the things we loved.

3) Does you group still get their own guide? We have always had Leo. He would stop by on a regular basis and see if there was anything he could get us and sometimes bring our favorite beverage when he saw we were running low. Always had some great tequila for shots on the way back to the ship.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

I emailed your questions and here is the response.

1) Yes the number of guests is still limited.

2) The only motorized vehicles are little ATV's, for smaller children and are resticted to an area away from guests. You will not hear them swinging in your hammock.

3) Yes all tours still include your own guide.

I got an excellent group rate, so we are booked to go there in June. We are all getting there via "The Twister" (a high powered speedboat) - so the condition of the road and the length of time it takes to get there won't be an issue for us. As long as the island and beach are as described, I think we will all be happy.

Yes, I think you will all be happy if you are going via the Twister. There's nothing wrong w/Passion Island. It's beautiful there. I was just less than pleased w/the traveling to get there. It seemed there were some kinks that needed to be worked out. We were not happy campers after having to wait for 30 mins for the boat to return to us and take us over to the island. There was no shade and it was miserable. The Island itself is very gorgeous and there is plenty of shade once you get there.

Like I said, its just all in what you are looking for. You'll have a great time, it just wasn't for me!

Gosh I'm not the one being argumentative.:rolleyes: All I'm saying is point me to a beach that has free transportation, all inclusive, seclusion, and "is beautiful"for the same price, or less. Yes all opinions are welcomed, its what the board is for. But please if you say you can get the same for less and it provides the same amenities, name it, don't just say it can be done.

Hey Ken, Nochi Cocum comes to mind. Yes, you have to pay for the taxi, but overall its cheaper and they have those nice padded chairs. Its AI as well, quiet, and so much less travel time.

Hey Ken, Nochi Cocum comes to mind. Yes, you have to pay for the taxi, but overall its cheaper and they have those nice padded chairs. Its AI as well, quiet, and so much less travel time.

Yes actually nachi is a shade less..$10 usd and saves about 15 minutes. Thank you for pointing that out as that is the only place that compares.. Im sorry you had bad expirience.

Yes actually nachi is a shade less..$10 usd and saves about 15 minutes. Thank you for pointing that out as that is the only place that compares.. Im sorry you had bad expirience.

Hey Ken...just trying to get ya wound up; I know how passionate you are about Passion Island (yes, pun intended!) Actually you seem like a great guy and you know Cozumel inside and out.

We spent $49pp at Nachi and around $10 for the kids, so not a bad price, and only took us about 20 mins to get there. (but dont forget the $15 cab ride for our party of 4)

The great thing about Cozumel is that there is something for everyone. Try one place one trip and another the next time. More reasons to cruise!! :p

After reading all of these posts, I decided to contact Carrie and get some more info regarding the twister boat ride to Passion Island. Turns out you don't need a group of 10 anymore for the excursion, but the price has been raised to $80 (I'm guessing the $70 was just a group rate :confused: ). She returned my email in about 20 minutes, and was very professional!

So if I can talk my DH into going (he is Irish and burns easily, so not very fond of the beach), we will so be there! I would LOVE a relaxing, romantic day. I played corona commercials for him last night on youtube...my attempts to show him how beautiful it is. Is there anything on the island that could keep my DH busy?

If we don't do Passion Island, we'll end up at Paradise Beach just b/c it seems like there is a lot to do there, and DH could keep himself busy while I soak up some rays :D

After reading all of these posts' date=' I decided to contact Carrie and get some more info regarding the twister boat ride to Passion Island. Turns out you don't need a group of 10 anymore for the excursion, but the price has been raised to $80 (I'm guessing the $70 was just a group rate :confused: ). She returned my email in about 20 minutes, and was very professional![/quote']

Carrie is one of the greatest agents they could ever ask for!! She's MORE than just a pro...she takes a real personal interest in your group. I booked with them over a month ago, and she still continues to keep in touch...and even though she works out of her home, she's making arrangements to try to meet our group personally!

As it turns out, the owners of the island and Carnival have recently been in contract negotiations. The price increase was due to Carnival wanting a "bigger slice of the pie". At the time that I booked our tour - the island only offered the Twister for groups of 10 - 20, but they have recently decided to offer it to individuals as well.

So if I can talk my DH into going (he is Irish and burns easily' date=' so not very fond of the beach), we will so be there! I would LOVE a relaxing, romantic day. I played corona commercials for him last night on youtube...my attempts to show him how beautiful it is. Is there anything on the island that could keep my DH busy?[/quote']

Not a problem! Carrie has assured me (and I've read other reviews that back it up) that shade-lovers are well acommodated too. There are hammocks and palapas for DH to use...and chairs in full sunlight for you!

If we don't do Passion Island' date=' we'll end up at Paradise Beach just b/c it seems like there is a lot to do there, and DH could keep himself busy while I soak up some rays :D[/quote']

I have heard great reviews for Paradise Beach too. It was going to be my 2nd choice...but since I managed to find enough people to do the Twister, and I received such fantastic service with Carrie...I booked with her.

Archived