Anyone heard of "Passion Island"?

Donna42

We did this tour in November 2005. I'd say the boat trip was 15 to 20 minutes, at most. The bus trip was longer -- maybe 30 minutes. The food was some of the best I've ever had and the tour personnel were very nice and helpful, especially after my husband broke his foot when he was running in the water and stepped into a trench. :eek: (It was an accident -- no one's fault.)

When I went in October the weather was not an issue and the boat ride was actually cooling since it was hot. On the way back I rode with some of the workers in an outboard - There were about 4 other guests - it was great. The food was awesome and the free drinks were refreshing. I will visit again some day! :)

I haven't done this excursion, but DD and her friend took it on our Christmas cruise on the Golden Princess, and said they enjoyed it more than anything else on the cruise. They liked the boat ride, and said the beach was beautiful and the food and drinks were great. (Part of the appeal for them may have been that they were served both beer and margaritas, despite being only 17 and 18! Oh well, at least they didn't overindulge...) Their only complaint was having to leave so soon--I think their excursion headed back to the ship around 2 pm. They could have easily spent all day there...

• 2 weeks later...
We did it with our three kids last year and ADORED it! It was just beautiful and wonderful. The buffet was really good, they did a pinata for the kids and free alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks. They had hair braiding and had pictures with a monkey. They only downside was the time you were there. We could have spent LONG OVER 5 hours there.

do you only get to spend about 3 hours on passion island? I thought I read somewhere that you don't get that much time there, that is why I am considering Nachi Cocom instead, any input on this? we will be in port from 8-5.

Went there a couple of years ago and the beach is beautiful and the food good. Like others have said, after a bus ride from the ship and then a boat ride to the island, your time there is very limited. It seemed like the five hours was more like three countiong your time coming and going.I will probably try Paradise Beach next time as it is cheaper and I will not be limited by time. I don't remember what I paid but it seemed like the Passion tour was real expensive.

[quote name='cruisinlawn']only through the cruise line is correct. You're gonna love it, home of many Corona TV commercials[/quote]
Not true. I was just there in Jan. and I've never been on a cruise. If you show up where the water taxi picks you up before the coach buss arrives, you can barter with them for a day pass. There is no guarentee they will let you, so be prepaired with a back up plan.

[quote name='mh1973']do you only get to spend about 3 hours on passion island? I thought I read somewhere that you don't get that much time there, that is why I am considering Nachi Cocom instead, any input on this? we will be in port from 8-5.[/QUOTE]

Yes your time is limited, but worth every single minute! We were there about 4 to 5 hours.

We are going on the Passion Island beach escape through our cruise line next week. One person in our group is a diver and I was wondering if he can book a trip right there on the island. If so, anyone with forst hand knowledge and experience with a dive outfitter on Passion Island??

Thanks everyone...I can't wait to go it has been bitter here in Minneapolis the past couple of weeks. Time to thaw out!

Not only will the one diver be disappointed as there is no dive operator at Passion Island, anyone who wants to snorkel will also be disappointed. Passion Island has a nice, sandy beach. Snorkeling where it is sandy is generally poor.

My husband and I are taking a cruise the first week of March and we are curious about Passion Island. It sounds like a good place to go if we want to be left alone for the most part and spend some time on the beach. Has anyone been to Passion Island lately that might give me an updated review?

My husband and I went to Passion Island the end of November 2006. We very much enjoyed our time there. It was beautiful and very peaceful. The guacamole was great as well as the margaritas. We practically had the place to ourselves.

Will we return when we go to Cozumel next January? Probably not. Why? We were on the Fascination and lucky enough to actually get to dock, but even so, felt that we had very little time on the island. We were only in port from 1:00pm to 8:00pm. By the time we gathered everyone for the excursion, loaded the bus, drove, transferred to the boat and got to the island, we only had a couple of hours there before we had to turn around and do that all again. Yes. It was beautiful and relaxing, but I'm not sure it was worth the cost for the time we had there.

Our next trip I will probably head to a beach that is a short taxi ride from the pier because we will be on the Fascination again. This time we are supposed to be in port until 10:00pm, but the time on the island would be the same as we left as the sun was setting and the mosquitos came out. If I could spend 4-5 hours on the island, I would consider it again.

Also, even thought it was a private island they had a shopping area set up and the workers came by hawking their wares. They were very friendly and left when told no thank you, but I was surprised to find that there. I had planned on checking out the stalls and perhaps buying something, but never did take the time since we had so little of it there.

I hope this helps.

Archived