Anyone heard of "Passion Island"?

Donna42

[quote name='Fishylips']Not true. I was just there in Jan. and I've never been on a cruise. If you show up where the water taxi picks you up before the coach buss arrives, you can barter with them for a day pass. There is no guarentee they will let you, so be prepaired with a back up plan.[/QUOTE]

The guide on our bus said it was for cruiseline passengers only.

We were at Passion Island two weeks ago and I would highly recommend it. It is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen and we have been to alot of Caribbean Islands. The sand was white and very soft. We went on the five hour excursion with Princess and spent about three hours at the beach.

Hi everyone,

We are just back from the Star Princess sailing Feb 10 - Feb 17.

We stopped in Cozumel on Feb 14, and headed to Passion Island Beach. I have to say this is my bext excursion and most favorite port.

Our tour guide was Hugo. It's a great place if you want to sit on the beach, swim and drink Corona. We had unlimited Corona and Rum Punch on this tour.

There is some shopping on the Island. Also with this tour, you get back in plenty of time to do some shopping in town.

I highly recommend this tour.

Melanie

Thanks Melanie, we're thinking about going to Passion Island in a few weeks also, and glad to hear a good review. Did you have children, and did they partake in the activities? Is there a shaded area to sit & have a Corona?

Hi txteacher and kath816

You will enjoy yourselves.

Our friends were with us and they had a 10 month old. There is some shaded areas. By the time we got there they were all taken, but we had a little shade under a palm tree.

There is a covered area where the food and drinks are with lots of tables.

There was beach volleyball, and we had a waterballoon contest.

The bathrooms are really clean, food was really good.

I can send a couple pictures if you like, so you can see what it looks like. If you wanted to post your e-mail address.

Melanie

When I first looked into excursions a year ago, NCL was offering Passion Island as an excursion. Now they have eliminated it from their "official" roster. :(
Does anyone know why this is? I was wondering if some other cruise line made it an exclusive selection for their passengers. I'm leaning towards Playa Mia or Paradise beach (several teens, young adults in tow). The female adults in our group really like to snorkel and the men like to laze around the beach. If they had beauties fanning them with palm-fronds, they'd pay for that, too!
I know this is a few questions all together, but can someone tell me what is up with the Passion Island thing, and what of the two choices would work for our contingency?

Thank you - Happy cruising to all...

Yes, we were on Passion Island last Nov. While it was very beautiful, I thought the excursion price through the cruise ship was over-priced. My understanding is that you can only access through a tour with the cruise ships. We've also been to Nachi Cochum and Paradise Beach. My favorite was Paradise Beach.

We just did this cruise ship tour this week and absolutely loved it! It's about a 35 minute bus ride to the ferry and about 10 min on the ferry. It doesn't look like much as you are approaching it but it was beautiful when we arrived. On the bus ride, our guide Isaac gave us some info about Cozumel that was very interesting. He did a great job.

It was not crowded at all. There were 3 tours there the day we went and we were the last to arrive but there were plenty of beach chairs and tables left. There are also a couple of areas with hammocks. It was very clean. The beach, restaurant areas and washrooms were nice.

The food was wonderful. Fish, chicken, salad, rice, chips, fresh salsa and guacamole.... The open bar had coronas, margaritas, rum punch, tequila sunrise . .. don't remember what else. There was also a cash bar if you wanted something different. There weren't any line ups for either the food or drinks.

We spent a total of 3 hours at Passion Island. It was one of our best days! We would book this tour again if we returned to Cozumel.

What beach would you recommend if you are on your own?

I haven't been to Isla de Pasion, but my recommendation for a beach to go to on your own is Playa Uvas. We were just there last week and loved it. It's not crowded, the facilities are beautiful, the staff are extremely friendly and gracious, and the prices are very reasonable.

There's a thread about it in this forum that has pictures and pricing info and lots more info. You really should check it out. If you're looking for a beautiful, quiet, uncrowded, relaxing beach, you'd love it!

Oh Passion Island! That was our first official tour from a cruise ship. That was the Island that got my hubby hooked on Corona! We both had a blast at Passion Island. Is that really the Island they do Corona commericals? Because every time I see a commerical I've commented that looks like our beach in Mexico. It was a blast!

Oh Passion Island! That was our first official tour from a cruise ship. That was the Island that got my hubby hooked on Corona! We both had a blast at Passion Island. Is that really the Island they do Corona commericals? Because every time I see a commerical I've commented that looks like our beach in Mexico. It was a blast!

Yes some of the commercials have been made there - Corona -Not everywhere in Cozumel has it - I am not sure why that is either????

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Passion Island a few weeks ago while aboard the Grand Princess. It was the only excursion that week that we booked thru the ship, and was the most disappointing.

The meeting area for the excursion was chaotic, and took a long time to get organized and get to the buses. It was a pleasant ride to the dock where you ferry across to the island, which took about 10 minutes.

They explained all the rules and showed us where everything was, including the services of the vendors...and then explained to us that we only had about 2-1/2 hours before the ferries took our group back to the buses.

We found spots on the sand, intending to relax and catch a few rays while sipping a little beer. It was the only day so far on our cruise with a little (very little!) sunshine, so we grabbed a few Coronas and laid out on the loungers.

The tour guide had a whistle, and loudly announced to all that he was starting beach games. Vendors walked between us and the water trying to sell jewelry, Cuban cigars, hair braiding, and other items. It wasn't relaxing at all. We could've moved, I suppose, but we were already too far IMO from the restrooms and bar. This wasn't the way I had planned on spending a day at the quiet, secluded beach from the Corona commercial.

Didn't see anything at the free bar except Corona (of course!) and rum punch, but it didn't matter since we were drinking Corona anyway. I should've thought to bring those foam things that keep the bottles cool...they warmed up quickly in the sand. The pay bar was nice, but the only Tequila they had was Jose Cuervo gold at $4 a shot.

We didn't eat much, but I thought the guacamole was delicious!

We went back to town feeling disappointed.

What kind of alcohol is included with the "all inclusive?" The DW was also wondering if they serve any light beers? We haven't been here in two years--pre wilma. I remember we could do shots for a $1 and the they had a descent selection of alcohol. Based on the previous post above, it appears the owner is looking to recoup lost money post Wilma. Shot prices went up and the alcohol quality down. I may cancel if this is the case. Anyone remember what type of alcohol was included? Thanks again.

We went to Passion Island a few weeks ago while aboard the Grand Princess. It was the only excursion that week that we booked thru the ship, and was the most disappointing.

The meeting area for the excursion was chaotic, and took a long time to get organized and get to the buses. It was a pleasant ride to the dock where you ferry across to the island, which took about 10 minutes.

They explained all the rules and showed us where everything was, including the services of the vendors...and then explained to us that we only had about 2-1/2 hours before the ferries took our group back to the buses.

We found spots on the sand, intending to relax and catch a few rays while sipping a little beer. It was the only day so far on our cruise with a little (very little!) sunshine, so we grabbed a few Coronas and laid out on the loungers.

The tour guide had a whistle, and loudly announced to all that he was starting beach games. Vendors walked between us and the water trying to sell jewelry, Cuban cigars, hair braiding, and other items. It wasn't relaxing at all. We could've moved, I suppose, but we were already too far IMO from the restrooms and bar. This wasn't the way I had planned on spending a day at the quiet, secluded beach from the Corona commercial.

Didn't see anything at the free bar except Corona (of course!) and rum punch, but it didn't matter since we were drinking Corona anyway. I should've thought to bring those foam things that keep the bottles cool...they warmed up quickly in the sand. The pay bar was nice, but the only Tequila they had was Jose Cuervo gold at $4 a shot.

We didn't eat much, but I thought the guacamole was delicious!

We went back to town feeling disappointed.

WOW :eek: I'm sorry you did not have a good time. To us Passion Island was Paradise! The food was great you should have tried the grilled fish it was realy good! Our guide was fun:) he would walk around the beach off and on and make sure everyone was having a great time and he even brought us drinks. I can't wait to back again someday !

Have a great week !

Cali ;)

Monarch 11/30/07 Baja

Voyager 12/06 W. Caribbean

Voyager 11/05 E. Caribbean

S.S. Azure Seas 11/90 Baja

What kind of alcohol is included with the "all inclusive?" The DW was also wondering if they serve any light beers? We haven't been here in two years--pre wilma. I remember we could do shots for a $1 and the they had a descent selection of alcohol. Based on the previous post above, it appears the owner is looking to recoup lost money post Wilma. Shot prices went up and the alcohol quality down. I may cancel if this is the case. Anyone remember what type of alcohol was included? Thanks again.

When we went last December they gave us Beer, Rum Punch and Margaritas Everything else they had a other bar to go through.

Cali :)

Monarch 11/30/07 Baja

Voyager 12/06 W. Caribbean

Voyager 11/05 E. Caribbean

S.S. Azure Seas 11/90 Baja

• 2 weeks later...

Will be on the Grand next week and were looking at the Passion Island Beach excursion. Anyone been here and if so how was everything from the beach to the lunch? Thanks for any information.

You'll probably get a lot of people who will tell you they loved it. When they do, ask them how many other Cozumel beaches they have been to for comparison.

It's been a couple of years since we took a ship excursion to Passion Island. I THINK that was the last time I did a ship excursion. We absolutely hated it and fondly named it "Torture Island".

First, we rode on 40-50 passenger buses (several of them) from the port to a place where you board small boats to get across to Passion Island. It took almost an hour just to get there. The little boats take you across and they are forcing picture taking the minute you step off. We headed to find a beach chair but they herded us into the Palaypa and made us listen to their spiel about where the drinks are, where the bathrooms are etc. It's not a big place - I could have found them on my own. By then, it was about noon so we decided to try to eat first. Food was OK but nothing special. Drinks were VERY weak so we stuck to beer.

The beach itself was pretty but it was crowded also. The part we didn't like - you are STUCK there. You can not leave until it's time for the excursion to be over. When it started pouring rain, we would have preferred to go back into town and do some shopping. However, you can't leave until it's time and then you do everything in reverse with them trying to sell you the photos they took all the way over, another hours bus ride etc.

All of the other beaches we've been to in Cozumel on our 12 trips there have been comparable or better. I learned my lesson on that one not to do an excursion where I'm stranded on an island and can't leave if I want to! :) For the $75 per person we paid, we could go ANYWHERE on the island and have a better time for a lot less money.

Well I am one of the people who will tell you how much we loved it.

We just went to Passion Island off the Freedom on March 27th. We were lucky because we were the first group to arrive. We did have about 60 people in our group, but the bus ride was enjoyable. It only seemed like 45 minutes to me for the bus and the boat ride there. I think we got on the beach around 10:00am. We just walked way to the end and brought two chairs right down to the ocean. I agree the open bar margarita was very watered down, so I stuck with coronas after that. But it was very peaceful and beautiful. DH and I both thought the food was good. They had plenty of choices on the buffet, and again we were the first group to go through that day. The fish was great and I loved the fresh guacamole and salsa!! There was also a nice fresh fruit platter.

It is a little obnoxious that you have to walk past all the vendor tents to get to the restrooms, but the restrooms were very clean. There is an attendant that I swear cleans each room after every person.

We found all the workers polite and friendly, and we only wish we had been "stuck" on the island for a couple more hours.

Also they don't FORCE you to have your picture taken. We just sidestepped the picture takers there as we did at every other port we stopped at.

For us it was well worth the money, and very relaxing.

My husband and I also really enjoyed Passion Island when we were there at the end of Feb. Not the first trip to Cozumel and not the only beach we have visited.

I completely agree with er345. It was not crowded whatsoever when we were there. The buffet and open bar were great!

At no time did we feel "stuck" there. We also wish we could have stayed longer.

We would, in fact, book this tour again if we were to return.

Archived