Which Pirate Tour?

LA-Mom

I am debating between the Marigalante pirate ship in Puerto Vallarta and the Buccaneer Queen pirate ship in Cabo. I understand the difference in price and activities from the company's website.

Does anyone know the amount of time spent on the boat in each tour? We are in the ports of Mazatlan, Puerto and Cabo Dec 12-14. My husband is concerned about our children, and him, getting sea sick while riding the pirate ship.

I know my 8 year old can be sensitive since she felt sick in open ocean water on a kayak. I have never given my kids motion sickness medicine before. I would prefer not to give them medicine since that can make you feel lousy for the whole day.

Does anyone have any information or guidance about any of this?

When we did the Puerto Vallarta one, I believe we were on the beach for about an hour and a half or two hours I think. We had plenty of time to play beach volleyball and relax and drink beer, but it wasn't so much time that we ever got bored. We did not opt to do the snorkeling part of the trip, so we were on the beach about twice as long as the snorkelers I think.

It was fun to watch the kids running around on their "treasure hunt" and doing their contests. It looked like they were having a blast. Some people kayaked, others swam.

I don't believe the Buccaneer Queen technically goes to the beach - it allows you about an hour of snorkeling at Chileno Bay, but you can hang out on the beach if you like during this time. There is nothing to do on Chileno Beach, though - no facilities at all. The snorkeling is very good, though. It is only a 3 hour tour.

The boat ride on the Buccaneer Queen is much shorter than on the Marigalante, and neither boat is tremendously stable, as they are modeled after old spanish galleons. I would definitely recommend either a patch from the doctor or taking some Bonine before departing. I've found it to cause significantly less drowsiness than Dramamine. I would advise asking your doctor for a recommendation before you go. The doctor can also prescribe you the patch, which works very well, and for multiple days. Seasickness can definitely ruin your whole day, and it's easily preventable.

I hope this helps! You'll have a great time!

We were on the Pride Nov 5 -12 and did the Marigalante pirate cruise. I have two boys aged 4 and 6. We were the first one's off the Pride and ran to the Pirate ship because it leave's the same time we docked. Only to head back to where the ship was to buy tickets. The waters were really calm and the weather was hot. Their was no wind to cool off and could not wait to get in the water. The day cruise is totally geared for children and the boys loved it as well as the adults. The food was also pretty good. If not the Pirate cruise, I would suggest doing some type of tour as we were not to impressed with the downtown area.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I took the pirate ship excursion in Cabo and really enjoyed it-but the water is rough and the snorkeling I thought was lousy but the ride was fun and the crew entertained us very nicely, we were on board for about 3 hours. Would recommend sea sick pills if you tend to get sick.

• 2 weeks later...

we did the Marigalante pirate cruise in april one year and the ride was rough. My DS was sick and the pirates were passing out dramine to anyone who wanted some. the crew was so kind, they help us out with meds, getting us a seat at the table for those who could eat. I was very impressed with thier kindness.

We took the tour last week and had a good time. The show was fun and entertaining. They try to mix it up so that both adults and kids have a good time. The food was good, especially the ribs at lunch. The service was also very good and non-stop drinks of all kind for those who want them.

My family had a hard time with the motion on the boat. My 8 year old was sick on the way over and the boat swayed a lot. Meclizine is what they pass out to anyone who wants some. I highly recommend taking some as soon as it is offered. We left the dock at 9:00 and arrived at the beach at almost 11:00.

We stayed two hours at the beach. It is tricky to get in and out of the boats that they use to tender you to the beach. You need to be able to get in and out of the boat in the waves. This was very tricky since the waves were good sized and the undertow created a hazard. Anyone with mobility issues should think twice.

Banana boat rides were first and were offered for about 20-30 minutes. Kayaks were available but they don't want you to go out for very long or too far away, as I personally found out. :o There are no bathroom facilities on the beach so you are warned to use the bathroom on the boat before tendering to the beach. Boogie boards are also there but the undertow makes playing in the waves a little hazardous. All kids have to wear the life jackets they provide while playing in the water. The pirates all acted as life guards the whole time we were there and were on top of the kids at all times. I saw them pulling many kids out from the waves.

Soda and beer is available on the beach. They also had kids activities after the banana boat rides were done. They had a volleyball game for the adults. There were plenty of chairs and umbrellas for everyone to use. After exactly two hours, they blow the whistle and send everyone back to the pirate ship using the tender boats. That part can be scary. Waiting for everyone to get in the tender boat while the waves are pushing against it makes the situation a little nerve wracking.

Once back on the boat, lunch is immediately served after they let everyone rinse off in a mini shower they provide. My family was allowed to eat on the top level since they were feeling sick. Everyone else typically eats below deck. The ship heads back and after lunch there is more entertainment and more drinks.

It was a fun day and I think the tour is well run. I wish the time on the beach was a little longer. It went by fast. I would not take the tour again because my family was too sick from the motion. This type of boat sways a lot from side to side. The ride over at two hours seemed to take forever even with the pirates entertaining everyone. I am glad we tried it and I think we got a good price. I booked through a tour company directly and not through the ship. That saved me a lot of money. We were met by the pirates right at the boat as soon as we walked off the ship. They then walked us around to where the pirate ship is docked, about a 5 minute walk.

If you or your kids love pirates and can handle a rocky ride, then take this tour. If motion is an issue for you, or your family, then this may not be the best tour for you.

I forgot to add that snorkeling was also available. Gear is provided and people are tendered to an area near the bluffs. We did not go because they told us this was jellyfish season and there may be many in the water. The snorkelers were allowed to be out for about 45 minutes to an hour before they were brought to the beach with everyone else. A tender boat with one or two pirates stays with the snorkelers in the designated area.

The people we talked to enjoyed the snorkeling and saw many fish. The two boys did not see any jellyfish but the father was stung once although he said it was not too bad.

Before taking these or any other boat tour, including fishing or whale watching, sunset tours, snorkeling, etc., I would strongly recommend to everyone to do one of the following things:

1) Visit your doctor and have him/her prescribe you a Transderm patch. The patch goes behind your ear, and it lasts for three days - two patches and you're seasickness-free for your whole cruise. No drowsiness either.

2) Take Bonine or Less-Drowsy Dramamine (same thing) 1 hour before your boat tour. Bonine lasts 24 hours, is pleasant-tasting and chewable, and makes you much less drowsy than regular Dramamine. I get very drowsy with Dramamine, but when I take Bonine, I have no problems at all.

One other piece of advice is not to eat a big, greasy breakfast that morning. Keep your stomach feeling fresh.

These steps are very easy - Bonine is widely available and only costs three dollars or so if bought at home for about 8 tablets (4 doses). It can make all the difference between a trip you'll never forget and a trip you'll wish you could forget.

Archived