We Had A Blast !!!!!

texancruzer

Just returned from 11/11 sailing of Legend of the Seas to Western Caribbean.

While in Grand Cayman we took the Royal Caribbean excursion "Aquaboats and snorkle"

This consisted of small zodiac type boats (2 person) that you get to drive yourself..... maximum of 6 boats and a guide in a boat......

We zipped all over the harbor area in and around the 5 large cruise ships in port that day.....waving at all the people on board. Then headed down to Smiths Cove for a really nice snorkle.... there are lots of rock outcroppings all along there and lots of fish. Saw a turtle, a nurse shark, stingrays and some octopus too. Then back to the harbor area and snorkled on the shipwreck "Cali" which sunk in 1940-something right in the harbor..... large shipwreck and millions and millions of fish...... our guide had stale bread and they all knew he had it too :D then last down to 7 mile beach for a look see...... all the while zooming around in these little boats (with big motors) and having alot of fun......

They time frame we were there it was only us and 1 other couple plus the guide for a total of 3 boats..... so we had alot of say so over how long and if we wanted to zip around more or snorkle more.....

I highly recommend this excursion....... WE HAD A BLAST

Glad to hear your report, we are doing this in December, other cruise line but seems like the same tour. A couple of questions please. I don't snorkle, love the water and love to swim, but hate the fish. My DH loves to snorkle and I am content sitting in the boat, did anyone else stay in the boat? Can you see some of the fish from the surface? When you get to the beach can you go on the beach, or must you snorkle only. Do the boats tip over? Fell off a banana boat once and did not like that experience. Thanks

Gee I hope you don't take this the wrong way - but if you love the water and love to swim ---- why not snorkle ???? There are so many amazing things to see. Just curious.

anyway to answer your questions....

1) yes someone stayed in the boat.... our guide "Morgan" actually brought his mother along with us and she just rode along with him...... sang some local songs to us at one stop while we were getting our gear on.....

2) The water was very clear the day we were there but did not see any fish at Smith Cove from the boat. Once we arrived at the Cali wreck the large fish came around as they knew Morgan would have bread..... I was first in the water and he threw pieces of bread all around me..... so I had fish on my back, on my legs and bumping into my mask.....it was very cool......

3) At Smith Cove you can swim into the beach area (sort of rocky with a little sand area) as the boats do not go all the way in - they moor on a buoy off a ways. At 7 mile beach we did not stop but just zipped down for a look-see :)

4) I would imagine the boats could flip if you really tried to make them. They are small and lightweight and have pretty large motors so they go really fast (which was part of the fun). It would take some doing tho.....

And last but not least...... all the banana boat rides I have been on: at the very end THEY TRY TO MAKE YOU FALL OFF...... it is part of the ride :D

By what you have said, I am not sure this is the right excursion for you..... seems you are not really comfortable in the ocean ???

Archived