Trip Review: Nature Island Divers Two-Tank Scuba

marcia014

Trip Review: Nature Island Divers Two-Tank Scuba

I set the alarm for 8:30 so I would be up and have breakfast before the ship docked. The Capers indicated that we would dock at 10:00, but we arrived early at 9:30. I later found out this is not unusual, so plan to come in earlier rather than later.

I had independently booked a two-tank dive with Nature Island Divers

http://www.natureislanddive.com/index.html . I told them via email that I am certified but it had been 5 years since my last dive. I had been reviewing a Scuba tune-up CD that I had purchased before my last dive, and I was informed that since the dives are not too deep they would treat me like I was on a refresher course. They said they would pick me up at the end of the pier right after docking. I was able to exit the ship and I went to the end of the pier. There was a woman holding a sign for the ship sponsored Kayak and Snorkel Adventure through Nature Island Divers, and a second sign with my name on it. I introduced myself and she put us all in the van to go to Nature Island Divers. We rode about 20 minutes to the town of Soufriere and I was SO glad I didn’t have to try to drive on this island! The road was barely wider than I am used to for one lane, and they would pass each other with very little clearance between, and would honk when approaching a curve to let others know they were coming. When we arrived at Nature Island Divers, they took us into a large room and separated the diver (me) from the rest of the group. I then found out that I would be the only one diving with just the Dive Master! Weefy was the Dive Master and Isaac the boat driver. Soufriere / Scotshead Marine Reserve was the area we were diving today. We first went to Champagne Reef and explored the coral formations and the natural “champagne” coming up from the underwater hot springs. I saw scorpion fish, a large lobster, an arrow crab Weefy put on my hand and it walked around a bit, a spotted moray eel, and other marine and coral life! We came up for a surface interval, and went back down to L’Abym, the reef that drops off into the deep. We explored the reef and its inhabitants while in awe of the drop-off. The visibility of the water here was AWESOME, I actually got a little sunburned in the water while at depth. The staff of Nature Island Divers believes that this is your vacation and you should not have to work so they carry all your equipment, assemble your gear, and clean and store your gear at the end of the dive. At the end of the dives, the Kayak and Snorkel participants had already gone back to the ship so Nature Island Divers sent me back to the ship in a local taxicab. That was an experience! On the cab I met Gustavo, the drummer from the Palladium Orchestra. We talked a bit about ship life, family, and what Gustavo likes to do on the islands. We ended the taxi ride at the cruise ship terminal and I went back on the ship while Gustavo wandered around town a little bit. It was now 3:00.

Any questions, please ask!

Been with Nature dive--love them would recommend them to anyone.

That springs is hot--did you go next door to the gut and have a beer or take pictures of the church right there?

The water is gorgeous--We pick that water over any other Island we have been to. That is a poor country with scary roads--glad I wasn't driving.:eek: :p

We dove there a couple of years ago over Thanksgiving - also with Weefy - great divemaster and a lot of fun besides.

Did they still have the floating dock?

We haven't made it back to Dominica....yet. But when we do, we will definitely drop Karen a line.

Glad to hear you had a great pair of dives. I will put the link to our photos below.

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the photos - I didn't have an underwater camera with me in Dominica and so much of what you have reminds me of my dive! Yes, they still have the floating dock - that was interesting maneuvering across to get on the dive boat! Thanks again for the photos!

Archived