Norovirus on Summit?

chrob

We have just docked at Aruba and the Captain announced yesterday that a high number of passengers have been struck with gastro problems. Norovirus was not actually mentioned but eveyone is now aware of the current problems onboard.

The tea and soft drinks area are cordoned off and waiters are supplying requested drinks. There is no salt and pepper on the tables and all butter and jams are behind screens and have to be asked for. No nibbles are now provided at the bars at night and all stateroom attendants are wearing masks as they clean your cabins.

It looks like Celebrity are doing all they can to contain the virus but it is very worrying when we have a 13 hour flight home on Sat!

all stateroom attendants are wearing masks as they clean your cabins.

What I would like to see: Stateroom attendants that put on a clean pair of DISPOSABLE GLOVES before they begin the next cabin. Think about it - whatever they pick up on their hands in one cabin gets transferred into the next room they go into!

This is why I bring a container of Lysol wipes on trips. To wipe down the surfaces and items like handles, knobs, phones, remote controls, etc., after my room has been made up in the morning and again after evening turn-down.

What I would like to see: Stateroom attendants that put on a clean pair of DISPOSABLE GLOVES before they begin the next cabin. Think about it - whatever they pick up on their hands in one cabin gets transferred into the next room they go into!

This is why I bring a container of Lysol wipes on trips. To wipe down the surfaces and items like handles, knobs, phones, remote controls, etc., after my room has been made up in the morning and again after evening

turn-down.

Good suggestion for room stewarts......my daughter and I sailed on a HAL ship in October...3 days aboard I got sick..lasted 4 days in bed....was up but not feeling good several days after that. We heard of several other people who had the same symptoms. Several days after we came home my daughter got sick too.

I did the same cleaning you did, but only after we had boarded...were going on a cruise next March...I will folllow your suggestions on that one. I carry a bottle of sanitizer with me to use after handling spoons in the Lido and the menu in the dining room. I'm also going to take a spray can of lysol to spray the cabin and bathroom this time. I also wash the glasses in the stateroom and bathroom before using.

The cruise on HAL was my 11th trip and the first time I've been sick, so consider I've been lucky. My daughter and I wash our hands constantly, but I guess you can't be careful enough. Thanks again for your suggestions. Rosemary

I wonder if this type of virus is air bourne or is a contact virus? We also take precautions such as mentioned above.

However, I also wondered about the ice bucket and water pitcher in the room?

Is it the same one you get each time, or could it be cross contamination from other rooms with the virus? This was mentioned on another thread a while ago, when people were getting a respritory ailment.

We sail on the Summit in Feb.

You can't wash enough.

When we were on a Veendam NLV cruise, the clean up crew for infected rooms was different from the regular cabin cleaners... smart move..

About the contact..

You walk through an area where vomit/fecal matter was tracked on a carpet... you go to your cabin and take of your shoes.. did you wash your hands right away????

This is the kind of thinking required every time you use your hands....

Paranoia is the only trait that will help. Cleaning normal surfaces is not enough.

We agree with C 2 C...wash...wash...wash! We had an outbreak on Connie during our Canada/New England cruise on Oct 16 to 27 recently. We did not get sick, but several people at our table of eight did...and one couple continued to show up for meals! We always wipe down our room, including door handles, phone, TV clicker etc, etc.

But lets face it, some people are stooopid!!

Am I the only one who gets to follow the guy that leaves the restroom ahead of me who does not wash his hands? He probably never uses the hand sanitzers outside the dining room either!

While they take precautions and wipe down the ship, here's another thing that bothers us. In the dining room, you are handed a menu that everyone has handled...what a source of germ transfer. We always make sure they never lay the menu on our cutlery and after handling the menu we use a hand sanitizer. Maybe Celebrity can do something re: spreading germs through the menus.

We did have a wonderful cruise despite the bug onboard. At one pont we were going through 40' waves and never felt a thing...Connie is a great ship. We're booked on her for the Baltic/Russia cruise on June 2, 2007, and yes, we're bringing the hand wipes.

Happy cruising,

Foggy

Toronto,Canada

Archived