Teen help--Daywear/Portwear?

redfox04

Hi, I'm an 18 year old leaving on my first cruise in 2 days. I know jeans are not an option on board the ship, but how acceptable is it to wear tank tops and capris, including cargo and denim capris, and flip flops while at port? If I cover my shoulders and knees for all the places of worship, will people really care if I'm dressed like a normal teen? This is stemming from my slight lack of polo shirts, etc. If anyone has any help regarding the proper attire for my age group, please comment.

Where are you going? My 16yo DDs were in Europe this summer on the Millie. They did take jeans with them and where perfectly happy and comfortable on ship. When we were in port they wore skirts and tank tops. They took a light, shirt with short sleeves to throw over the tops when we went into churches. Their skirts were not short short. They opted for skirts so that if they happened to find a restroom with just a hole in the ground they didn't have to worry about pants being in the way. One day one of my daughters took a longer shirt with her in her messenger bag. One of mine wore flipflops most of the time, since that's what she usually wears. The other one varied between vans and flip flops. When we were on a private tour where we thought we might have some rougher terraine (spelling?) to cover, they took tennis shoes with them. Mine only have a couple of polos that they need to wear to fit school dress code and they are not the preppy type. I thought they fit right in with the culture. I know a lot of people don't want to look like tourist when on vacation, but we didn't really worry about that since we are tourist and figured it was written all over us. I must say though that when we were in Barcelona, we were taken for natives.

Have a great trip. I guess if your not going to Europe, this is all moot. BTW, on the Europe board there is a lot of discussion about capris.

Redfox,

I saw your message on the Roll Call board. Have you and your Mom signed up for the Cruise Critic party yet? I don't think you can sign up once you're on the ship. There will be another teen there (19). I'm sure it will be nice to meet someone your own age.

I think the clothes you are talking about will be fine. Just have that shirt to throw on over your tank top when needed. It's summer in Europe and there will be college students everywhere dressing just like you. You will be doing a lot of walking so be sure whatever you have on your feet is comfortable. Personally, I wouldn't wear jeans just because of the heat that we are going to encounter. If you are comfortable in them, then by all means, go ahead. I think on the ship it's no jeans after 6PM.

It's going to be our first cruise too and we're excited. I've learned SO much from these boards. You should have gotten on sooner. I hope you will sign up for the CC party. If you do, they will leave an invitation in your room as to when and where it will be.

Have a safe flight.

My husband and I will be going on the Aug 13 Western Med cruise and were wondering if you could observe a few things? One is the clothes, I think you both made really good coments on the clothes topics. My main favor is to observe the age ranges. My husband and I are a young couple (22 and 23) we want to make sure there will be people of our age group there that we could mingle with. Well I hope you all have a great trip. Be safe! Thanks ahead of time!

My teen brings exactly what she would wear at home. We have done the med and the Baltic and are going back to the Med in 10 days.

Jeans are too hot but usually pack one pair. Its the usual tanks, tees, skirts and shorts. They also wear reeks, etc for touring.

Capris will work for churches.

Hey girl im 19, dress in however u feel like it! thats what i did...u are at a perfect age to go on the ship u can get into the night club they are sticky about the drinking age so u have to go to the front desk to get your rents to signa slip...formal nights...dress formal...bring your grad dress...NO JOKE! i felt underdressed and i was in a fancy dress!!!!! have fun! what crfuise u going on?

Archived