Transfering from New Zealand to Australia baggage weight

tymelesstwo

My husband and I are taking a two week cruise from Sydney to New Zealand. We plan on staying in New Zealand for a few days, then flying to Sydney to continue our trip home to the U.S. The problem is that baggage on a flight from Auckland to Sydney seems to be limited to one bag per person weighing only 44 lbs. Because of cruise clothes etc. we will have much more than that weight. Has anyone got any suggestions on how we can handle the extra weight of bags? Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give us.

Our e-mail address is tymeless.treasures@verizon.net

Sam and Shirley

You may be able to argue with the check in people that you have a forward ticket to the U.S. where you are allowed the two bags and extra weight and they may accept that reasoning.

Normally on a flight across the Tasman between Australia and New Zealand you are limited to one bag weighing no more than 20kg. We all have to abide by those rules when flying in Economy and we have learnt to pack accordingly even when we go on cruises. The trip to the U.S. is the only flight where anyone is allowed to have two suitcases per person.

We did a cruise of South America and Antarctica, Machu Pichu and the Galapagos Islands earlier this year and we took one suitcase each of 20kgs, one carry on bag each and my husband carried his formal gear in a plastic zip up bag. We had 5 formal nights and we dressed accordingly, we also had clothes for both hot and freezing cold weather and yet we were well dressed.

If they will not accept your argument, you will just have to wear it and pay the excess baggage amount. Remember, your dollar is worth a lot more than the N.Z. dollar so it probably will not be very costly, especially in the overall picture of what the whole trip is costing you.

Jennie

My friend and i were overweight once by 4.9 and 5.2 lbs... they wanted nearly $100 for the excess.

On our most recent flight we were allowed 2 bags at 70 lbs each, so now we check the weight limits before booking.

Like Aussie Gal said, it can be done but i find it much more difficult now that you can't put all your (heavy) toiletries in your carry-on.

Good luck!

Archived