Help with formal dress

meeda

With a halter top and so much detail at the neckline, you really don't need a necklace, a great pair of dangly earrings will look great. Hair should be pulled up (updo) or held back from the ears (short hair). Makeup should be bright eyes, with perhaps plum and pink eyeshadow, not too shimmery, or your eyeshadow will pop in flash photography. Lips, more neutral if your eyes are bright, just like with clothing, you only want one focal point. OK, I know you didn't ask for all that, but sometimes I can't help myself :)

If it were me, I'd find shoes in pewter, black if you just can't find anything in pewter. Many will say silver shoes, but I think if the dress is a dark color the shoe stands out too much.

A bracelet (or a few), a fun bag and you're good to go!

With a halter top and so much detail at the neckline, you really don't need a necklace, a great pair of dangly earrings will look great. Hair should be pulled up (updo) or held back from the ears (short hair). Makeup should be bright eyes, with perhaps plum and pink eyeshadow, not too shimmery, or your eyeshadow will pop in flash photography. Lips, more neutral if your eyes are bright, just like with clothing, you only want one focal point. OK, I know you didn't ask for all that, but sometimes I can't help myself :)

If it were me, I'd find shoes in pewter, black if you just can't find anything in pewter. Many will say silver shoes, but I think if the dress is a dark color the shoe stands out too much.

A bracelet (or a few), a fun bag and you're good to go!

Agree about just the pretty dangly earrings....maybe in dainty and ornate silver w/ something a tad sparkly; but not over-powering. I think a pair of silver strappy heels would be pretty with your dress.....at least the silver would be just a small amount on the dainty little straps of your shoes...nothing over-powering there either. Pewter, however, would look pretty also.

I hate carrying a purse....but there are some pretty little evening bags out there.

What I like to do, after checking on return policies, is buy 2-3 different ear rings and take home and ask DH. Than I return what I don't need. Long and dangly are very popular right now.

I would play with the mak-up, too. Go to the cosmetic counters and talk to them. They might even make you up. It is all part of the preparation.

Is it two pieces? You might take the top with you.

What I like to do, after checking on return policies, is buy 2-3 different ear rings and take home and ask DH. Than I return what I don't need. Long and dangly are very popular right now.

I would play with the mak-up, too. Go to the cosmetic counters and talk to them. They might even make you up. It is all part of the preparation.

That's a great idea, take it with you when you shop! More than once I've had to take things back because they just weren't the right color (that I was sure of!).

Most stores will not take back pierced earrings-like undewear and swimsuits-there are health laws.

Thanks for all of the wonderful replies. You all help me so much. Like I said, my biggest fashion decision of the day is whether to wear jeans or sweats that day. LOL... Thanks for the idea of bringing the dress with me when I go shopping. I would have never thought of that and then would've had returns. I will also probably stop by the makeup counter when I go to the mall later this week to get some tips & pointers. Thanks again..

Meeda - Normally with that low of a neckline, I like a necklace to help fill-in. Personally, I might feel a tad nakid. But.......that embroidery at the neckline sort of gives the illusion of a necklace & having an actual one would be redundant.

The best accessory I can suggest is a good bra. You just don't want saggy in that dress. :eek:

Is the dress full-length? It was kind of hard to tell. If so, do shoes really matter? Who's gonna see them? If you already have dress shoes that are comfortable & are on a budget, that is one area I'd not bother with. I'd buy a pretty purse instead. But that's just me. :)

Happy shopping & have a great cruise.

The best accessory I can suggest is a good bra. You just don't want saggy in that dress. :eek:

I totally agree with you about the good bra.. I would hate for the ladies to be saggy.. LOL

Is the dress full-length? It was kind of hard to tell.

The dress is full length. It is a little long so I will have to have it altered. The only shoes I own are tennis shoes, flip flops, and Crocs... So I will definitely have to purchase new shoes. LOL

I agree with the one poster, cause the neckline is low you need a necklace, depending on whether your hair will be up or if it is short will depend if you need earings. I would go for silver. I buy all my jewelery from fifth avenue. They have a great website, you can buy sets or both separate. The set that comes to mind that would look great with that dress is called wine and glizt...or something like that. Anything that sparkles would look beautiful. Good luck!

I totally agree with you about the good bra.. I would hate for the ladies to be saggy.. LOL

The dress is full length. It is a little long so I will have to have it altered. The only shoes I own are tennis shoes, flip flops, and Crocs... So I will definitely have to purchase new shoes. LOL

Since you are planning to get new (totally different style) shoes just remember the "rules" (you probably know anyway but I remember mommy brain and forgetting stuff). Always buy new shoes towards the end of the day when your feet have had a chance to swell a bit ( as they certainly will in warm weather after walking in port all day), and wear them at home lots to break them in (it might also convince you that they are the wrong shoes - allows time to buy another pair).

I hope you have a great time...mommy's deserve it:)

Payd

Archived