Our experience with crusing with 10 month old-Jewel of Seas

horseshoe

We have cruised 5x times with the latest on Nov. 12/06 on the Jewels of the Seas. However the latest would be the first cruise with our 10 month old toddler. Here are some of the lessons we have to share in regards to crusing with an infant:

-We brought our car seat but was used only in the taxi between the airport and the ship in Ft. Lauderdale(which was a 10min ride). It would have had more use if we booked a seperate seat on the plane for our toddler or rented a car during the vacation. Check your airline policy for infants as this may help you get more use of the car seat.

-Infant program-Acqua babies staff do not have early childhood training so no "sing-a-longs", infant stimulation exercises or shared experiences. Staff just put out some Fisher Price toys on a floor of a lounge. Infant program was sparsely attended because of the very limited availability 9am-9:45am daily. As every parent knows, infant schedules vary dramatically each day.

-No diapers or swim diapers in any of the pools including the kiddie pool. So don't waste your money on swim diapers or infant flotation devices.

-No diapers allowed in the Acqua Oceans/Adventure area. This area is strictly for children 3ys and up. Even accompanied with a parent, no infants with diapers allowed in this area.

-If possible book a room 200sq ft. and above. The crib/playpen will take up a large chunk of this size room. If possible book a oceanview/balcony as you will be spending more time in your room as infants require more frequent rest and feeding.

-Bring a blow up shower bin for your infant. Also bring adequate baby food, diapers and any other daily infants needs. You are not going to find any of these items on the ship and will be spending your vacation hunting them down in the ports.

-Overall, we would recommend to anyone who is planning to cruise with an infant to do extensive research. We paid a full 3rd person rate for our infant and not only are there limited programs for infants, parents limit their cruise experience. Cruising with an infant under 3yrs:

-will limit your port experience and excursions.

-will limit your formal dinning experience.

-will limit the evening shows/lounge experience.

-will limit your interaction with other passengers.

Cruising is catered towards those without children and you will at times get a negative reaction towards children on a ship from other passengers. It is after all their vacation and they may not want to hear the screams of babies during formal dinner.

Again do more research, prepare well for the travel and expectation and compare whether paying the extra rate for a larger cabin and the full 3rd person rate is worth it.

Please keep in mind that I hear that children 3yrs and up(along with their parents) do have a blast.

Research and Planning are the keys. Our girl was 23 months on her first cruise. We realized she would be a month too young for Camp Carnival so we knew she would be with us the three days of the cruise. We didn't plan to go on any excursions. Mostly we just tried to relax and hang out. We did get our exercise following her around the ship. We tried to be considerate of the other passengers. Even when we decided to try out the big production show, we took seats near the back, but our girl enjoyed the show. My hubby was apprehensive about taking her but he admitted afterwards that it was a great experience for all three of us.

We didn't hear any negative comments. Maybe we weren't listening for them or just nobody around us had any complaints.

We looked at Royal Caribbean for our first family cruise and were put off by the lack of facilities for infants. We looked at our favourite line, Cunard, and saw they provided an excellent programme.

We just did our first Cunard with the baby (13months) and it was great. Specially trained English Nannies, one of whom (at least) was an ex early-years worker for the British Government. They program for tinies was first class, we have several pieces of "artwork" that our DS did in the nursery onboard. There was story time, dancing time, rest time, snack time (fruit and cerals), cuddles apleanty and the staff will even change your childs nappy (diaper)! The hours were 9am-midday, 2pm-5pm and 7pm-midnight. But they would take your little ones earlier if they were early to bed, like our DS is. It is more expensive than RCCI, but you aren't paying the third person rate so it works out ok. There is also a childrens tea at 5pm with waiter service! The staff were amazing with children and we only saw one negative reaction on what is percieved as an "older" ship. Cunard has really got it's family attractions sorted out. We are using them again and I cannot reccommend them highly enough.

Horseshoe, I'm sorry to hear your trip was so tiring! But when isn't it with the little ones...I promise some things get easier as your kids get older (but, as the old saying goes, little kids, little problems, big kids, big problems).

Keep in mind for your next trip that some kids clubs start at 2 years (Carnival and Disney) so you might try that when your munchkin is 2 (assuming they already know how to separate!) You could also try RCCL which at least has in cabin babysitting for ages 1 and up so you at least won't miss some nightlife on the ship. Good luck next time!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and positive replies!!!! That's the great thing about this board....everyone is so very nice and helpful! I know that my original post may sound negative towards cruising but I just wanted to give some feedback and info to any future cruisers. When I did my initial research, I didn't find any pitfalls and hope that others can learn from our experience. It is certainly very different travelling with a toddler vs with no children???!!!! Anyways, happy cruising and keep up the sharing of experiences!!

Just got back from the Celebrity (X) Galaxy Med cruise and certainly agree with you Horseshoe, X which is part of the RCCL is certainly not geared up for younger children.

I will post about this on a separate thread.

However, P&O cruises are fantastic and sound similar to the Cunard line. We have always found them structured and can't do enough. With lovely bedding, cribs and able to use all the pools with swim diapers. The staff are qualified nursery nurses and change diapers! You can leave children from 2 years old and under that you can use the toys and join in all the games, songs and activities, as long as you are there to supervise. The care we saw was excellent.

Whilst we have found cruising with a two year old (twice now), extremely different from being on our own, it does depend on which cruise line you choose, we won't do X again with a small child, even over three, they just haven't 'got it together yet!'

Kate

Archived