Snorkel with the dolphin encounter choices

crazy4cruising

We have the option on Princess to snorkel with the dolphins in 3 different ports....Any opinions on what would be best, especially factoring in the hurricane damage...We can go in Cozumel (Chankanaab-never been to this park, pre-hurricane, we really thought snorkeling in Coz was great!)

So our 3 port choices are Roatan/Honduras, or Costa Maya, or Chankanaab Park in Cozumel....Any opinions on the best place to snorkel with the dolphins? Thanks in advance!

Just don't do it anywhere.

I'm with Bruce, Don't do anything that encourages the capture and exploitation of Dolphins. If you see them in the wild consider yourself lucky. My post on the other dolphin topic is meant to scare you away, and I tried to make it very sarcastic when I say "I would do it!" and "go for it". I guess I wasn't sarcastic enough. :cool:

I'm with Bruce, Don't do anything that encourages the capture and exploitation of Dolphins. If you see them in the wild consider yourself lucky. My post on the other dolphin topic is meant to scare you away, and I tried to make it very sarcastic when I say "I would do it!" and "go for it". I guess I wasn't sarcastic enough. :cool:

We all have our own opinions, don't mind you offering yours, but not crazy about the sarcasm....

thanks Nola, appreciate your opinion as well...

I'll chime in on the don't do it side. I have the same opinion of shark feeding dives. The dolphin operations use either captive dolphins or wild dolphins that have been conditioned to feed from human handouts. Either option severely compromises their ability to feed themselves if they ever cease to be profitable to the operations and are dumped by the operations. In several hundred dives, I have seen wild dolphins while I was in the water only a hand full of times (lots of times though, when they were playing with the bow wave of the boat) Dolphins generally keep their distance from humans in the water. If an operator is claiming you will encounter wild dolphins be sceptical. Dolphins are not magic they're just very intelligent animals that usually range over several hundred miles. Think about that the next time you you consider "encountering" them in a captive situation.

We have the option on Princess to snorkel with the dolphins in 3 different ports....Any opinions on what would be best, especially factoring in the hurricane damage...We can go in Cozumel (Chankanaab-never been to this park, pre-hurricane, we really thought snorkeling in Coz was great!)

So our 3 port choices are Roatan/Honduras, or Costa Maya, or Chankanaab Park in Cozumel....Any opinions on the best place to snorkel with the dolphins? Thanks in advance!

Ignore the GoodGone3_animation.gif.

Personally, I think if people aren't going to answer the question they need to move on. Perhaps the dolphins have their own Internet boards.

For those who don't like dolphins being "exploited", perhaps they should investigate what the US military does with them and to them.

Ignore the GoodGone3_animation.gif.

Personally, I think if people aren't going to answer the question they need to move on. Perhaps the dolphins have their own Internet boards.

For those who don't like dolphins being "exploited", perhaps they should investigate what the US military does with them and to them.

I agree, and thanks again Nola, agree 100%

I am sure that those who feel so strongly boycott zoos too, and have never whale watched either, or gone to the turtle farm on Grand Cayman...

I never intended to open such a spam war, was merely asking a question...

Thanks again, and I did check out the Anthonys keys...really appreciated the statement on their site that if the dolphins do not want to interact, they have an area to go to that the snorkelers cannot go, it shows that these animal behaviorists care about the dolphins too.

I Also agree with NOT doing it... I have swam with dolphins... and it was incredible!!!! However, I did it in Western Australia where the animals are free to come and go as they please.

http://www.discoverwest.com.au/western_australia/monkey_mia.html

Any diver will tell you the same thing... it is MUCH better to see the animals in their natural habitat. Lets take the Sting Rays at Grand Cayman... I think that is fine, as those animals come and go as they want.

Go snorkling and see fishes swimming free!!! :D

I agree, and thanks again Nola, agree 100%

I am sure that those who feel so strongly boycott zoos too, and have never whale watched either, or gone to the turtle farm on Grand Cayman...

I never intended to open such a spam war, was merely asking a question...

Thanks again, and I did check out the Anthonys keys...really appreciated the statement on their site that if the dolphins do not want to interact, they have an area to go to that the snorkelers cannot go, it shows that these animal behaviorists care about the dolphins too.

As long as we're being picky - the Spam can is pretty sarcastic. Also spam is unsolicited e-mail, you ASKED for opinions. If you feel the opinions expressed are somehow mean spirited or hurtful they would be considered flames. As to whale watching - you ain't seen nothing until you're alone in a sea kayak in Magdalena bay on the Pacific side of Baja California and have a gray whale tail stand right in front of you and then swim directly under your kayak. Its a little presumptuous, don't you think, to assume everyone that has a negative opinion of the dolphin encounters is exactly the same with the same agendas. As to zoos - there are good and bad. It depends on how animals are treated. Before Katrina the New Orleans zoo was a leader in education and conservation. On the other hand El Paso's zoo is a wretched little affair with cramped quarters and sometimes ill treated animals.

As to military uses - no I'm not too enthusiastic about dolphins being used as suicide bombers. The difference though is just a matter of scale. Both the encounter operations and the military use the same behavioral modification techniques. Both are kind and care about their animals, as long as they perform, that is. The end result is the same both sets get to die in the service of humans.

Archived