Do they sell fish food/bread at edens rock?

flvol77

nevermind...I was just talking to a friend about feeding fish (he dives a lot) and he suggested it wasn't a good idea...I would never want to feed them by hand (I know a lot of those little/med fish have serious teeth)

He suggested even thowing bread or whatever in the water wasn't good...so nevermind

nevermind...I was just talking to a friend about feeding fish (he dives a lot) and he suggested it wasn't a good idea...I would never want to feed them by hand (I know a lot of those little/med fish have serious teeth)

He suggested even thowing bread or whatever in the water wasn't good...so nevermind

Your friend is quite correct. Feed fish upsets their natural feeding patterns, however, there are a few places where feeding has been going on for so many years, it has become the norm for the resident population of fish. To discontinue feeding them suddenly would a disruption of the "normal" environment for them. Stingray City is an example of this.

If you choose to ignore my opinion, and many people do, at least try to feed the fish actual fish food. Definitely don't feed them peas or canned cheese.

I'm not advocating fish feeding, but it does happen at some sites like Eden Rock on Grand Cayman and Coki Beach in St. Thomas. You won't need to feed the fish at either of these spot in order to see lots of fish, especially if you don't want to find yourself in the center of a cloud of fish looking for food. Those little sergeant majors can be quite aggressive and will nip as attested to by a previous poster.

• 2 weeks later...

The owner of the Eden Rock shop comes out every hour or so and throws chopped up squid into the water.

But don't worry about seeing fish at Eden Rock. There are hundreds of them, all day (we spent 5 hours there). Just at the entrance there are 5 HUGE Tarpon. They never left!

You'll have a blast!

Archived