Why go to Grand Cayman; its always closed?

debcruiser

I just returned from my 5th cruise today. Why is Grand Cayman always "closed"? Out of 4 trips scheduled there we went ashore only once. Why not skip them and add a different port? Even if you are let on the island chances are that all of the water excursions will be cancelled. I will never pick a cruise with GC as a port again!!!

I just returned from my 5th cruise today. Why is Grand Cayman always "closed"? Out of 4 trips scheduled there we went ashore only once. Why not skip them and add a different port? Even if you are let on the island chances are that all of the water excursions will be cancelled. I will never pick a cruise with GC as a port again!!!

a lot of ports that tender have the same problem - IMO they should work with the cruise lines and build a pier or two

We just skipped past Grand Cayman, too, on the Explorer, but I wouldn't have wanted the port changed for anything.

Over all the island stops in Western Caribbean, Cayman is the best with beautiful beaches, lots of water activities and shopping and very nice locals. None of the hawking and pestering that goes on in the other ports. Just a possible chance to stop to visit Cayman is better than an absolute stop on Jamaica, Belize, or Costa Maya-just my opinion.:)

Article in this morning's paper indicates Cayman is closing in on our previous record of 1.82 million cruise visitors in a year.

Geographically, Cayman is pretty much the only possible stop on a western Caribbean route when enroute between ports in Jamaica and Mexico. If and when Cuba reopens to American tourism, the whole picture may change.

For what its worth, summer sailings rarely miss calling on our port. Of course it is off season, and the occasional tropical storm or hurricane can really foul things up.

I've had GC on the itinerary three times and NEVER experienced a cancellation. But! Last week we were just plain lucky... most ships didn't make it.

GC doesn't need cruise ship money and it gets over run already. For them, why spend vast sums on a pier. Like the prior poster said, when Cuba opens GC will lose a lot a ship traffic and they won't miss it.

GC doesn't need cruise ship money and it gets over run already. For them, why spend vast sums on a pier. Like the prior poster said, when Cuba opens GC will lose a lot a ship traffic and they won't miss it.
I don't agree that GC doesn't need tourist dollars. Perhaps GC is wealthy enough to not need tourism as desperately as the Mexicans or Jamaicans. If they were truly not tourism-dependent, they'd limit the number of ships anchoring/tendering there, but they don't.

I don't agree that GC doesn't need tourist dollars. Perhaps GC is wealthy enough to not need tourism as desperately as the Mexicans or Jamaicans. If they were truly not tourism-dependent, they'd limit the number of ships anchoring/tendering there, but they don't.

I didn't say that GC didn't need tourist $$, I said that they don't really need cruise ship $. There are a number of economic development authorities that question to the net monetary value of cruise ship passengers (buying trinkets and beer) relative to the demands they place on infrastructure.

The valuable tourist money is in the hotel trade which GC has plenty of... GC simply doesn't need to spend a ton of money on a pier to accomodate comparatively money-marginal ship visiters.

and then.......if your ship does make the call.....chances are there will be too many ships in port and the small island will be overcrowded.

Archived