Christmas cruise question

kidrn

We are on the dec22 pearl and it will be a surprise for the kids. One of my 3 is still little and believes in Santa. How does everyone do the present thing? Do you take on the cruise which is a scary thought if luggage lost or stolen or do you just tell him santa will be there when you return home?kidrn

Wow, a bit harsh,...don't you think.--------------------------------------------------------------------------My kids are older, so I don't have this problem, but I think that if I did, I would probably leave most of the presents at home. Take a stocking, and maybe one gift for each kid on the trip, and explain that Santa will have left more at home under the tree. Even Santa wouldn't want you to have to lug all those presents back home in your luggage! Hopefully you can either sneak the stuff under the tree right before you leave, or have a family member/friend put them there, so that when you get home, they are waiting.

Maybe you shouldn't lie to your children. How about explaining that Christmas is for the observance of the birth of Jesus Christ' date=' not the worship of consumer goods.

Just a thought.[/quote']

Most Biblical scholars do not believe that Jesus was born in December. See the link below for more ...

http://users.aristotle.net/~bhuie/birthday.htm

Most biblical scholars and preachers readily admit that they know Christ was not born on December 25th. However, they claim that this day is as good as any other to celebrate the birth of Jesus, despite the fact that it was originally a pagan celebration called Saturnalia which commemorated the birth of the sun god.

Thus, since Jesus was not born on December 25, then it is not really his birthday. Therefore there is no reason to ruin a child's innocence over this issue.

Maybe you shouldn't lie to your children. How about explaining that Christmas is for the observance of the birth of Jesus Christ' date=' not the worship of consumer goods.

Just a thought.[/quote']

Forbes had to drop Santa Claus from its richest fictional character list because -- of all the people who complained that Santa Claus is real. See the link below for additional details ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061121/od_nm/life_richest_dc

So perhaps the stories about Santa are real, and it is you who have been lied to. :eek:

Well, since I celebrate His life every Sunday, 52 weeks out of the year, I love being able to get crazy, have some fun, and play Santa in December. We took our kids last year on the 1/4 Star sailing. A lot of their Christmas presents were things FOR the cruise. Maybe Santa can visit a little early and then just pack the stockings and maybe one more present? Sounds FUN!

We are on the dec22 pearl and it will be a surprise for the kids. One of my 3 is still little and believes in Santa. How does everyone do the present thing? Do you take on the cruise which is a scary thought if luggage lost or stolen or do you just tell him santa will be there when you return home?kidrn

We took a christmas cruise when my son still believed in Santa and what we did was have santa write a letter explaining that he did not know how to swim, so to be safe he left my son's presents under the tree at home. We took two small gifts that fit in the suitcase and he opened those on christmas day. He is not 16 and still remembers what he calls having two christmas days one one the ship and one when we got home. He loved it. Just a personal note; those years that one is able to believe in something so wholehardly were just the most wonderful memories of my childhood. ;) ;) From Santa to going to Disneyland and really believing the charaters came alive there is just a certain magic that you only experience once in your life and everyone should be entitled to that magic as a memory.

Just my thought

Nancy

We took a christmas cruise when my son still believed in Santa and what we did was have santa write a letter explaining that he did not know how to swim, so to be safe he left my son's presents under the tree at home. We took two small gifts that fit in the suitcase and he opened those on christmas day. He is not 16 and still remembers what he calls having two christmas days one one the ship and one when we got home. He loved it. Just a personal note; those years that one is able to believe in something so wholehardly were just the most wonderful memories of my childhood. ;) ;) From Santa to going to Disneyland and really believing the charaters came alive there is just a certain magic that you only experience once in your life and everyone should be entitled to that magic as a memory.

Just my thought

Nancy

I appreciate your neat ideas and suggestions. I hope he will have lots of fond memories of that magic too. My other 2 are 13 and 16 and I think they enjoy watching their little brother's expressions. That movie Polar Express is making it very difficult though. It is such a great movie but Andrew really believes every word of it. Again thanks for your suggestions. You have definitely given me some good ideas. kidrn

We are on the Dawn for Xmas, we saw santa in the mall and told him where we would be . We put up the tree at home so he could leave them there on christmas. Which was a great idea ps my 7 yo dd came up with that. See what your children would like to do get them envolved ..PS have a great cruise. less than 18 days to go . Have fun and dont belive all the bad stuff, its a xmas cruise I Think that we may have a little MAJIC with us. ( THANKS TO OLD ST. NICK.):D

A cute little poem I totally forgot about too! One year when we were travelling with all the cousins we ended up in a hotel(had the place to ourselves) and we got to use the banquet room for Santa's deliveries. I made a bunch of door hangers for the rooms and attached old keys I spray painted bright gold. Here's the poem for those without chimneys....

Santa's Magic Key

We don't have a chimney

for you to come in through,

and if you miss us

we don't know what we'll do.

Mom says you can work magic

and can use just any old key

if we just hang it outside

in a place you're sure to see.

So we're placing this old key

right outside our door.

We'll say our prayers and jump in bed

and won't worry anymore.

Kidrn- I have been thinking about the same thing. I am glad you posted this. We will be on the Majesty Dec.23 with our two children.We would like to bring some wrapped gifts. Does anyone know if you can bring wrapped gifts through port security?

Kidrn- I have been thinking about the same thing. I am glad you posted this. We will be on the Majesty Dec.23 with our two children.We would like to bring some wrapped gifts. Does anyone know if you can bring wrapped gifts through port security?

Yes, you should be able to get wrapped gifts through security, after it passes through the x-ray scanners.

Thanks for your concern regarding my husband. This will be our third cruise as a family and we chose this ship because we are able for the first time to book adjoining cabins! Hopefully this will give us a little more privacy but yet feel like we are close to the children. kidrn:)

I think my count is up to 7 including upcoming Christmas cruise on the Sun. We have 3 daughters. I don't remember if anyone still believed when we started cruising at Christmas time. However, I take several small gifts-leave the big things at home, then the kids get 2 Christmas'. I also take the girls stockings--I'll take them this year too and my girls are now 18,19 and 23! I also (okay this sounds crazy) take a really small tree. The kind that are only a foot or so tall. I decorate it with ribbons and bows. One year I forgot the tree and begged the girl working at the gift shop to loan me the one in the store. She did and I returned it right after the girls open their gifts. I don't care where I am it's still Christmas and we're going to celebrate--even if one year the ship didn't have any kind of mass or service. Have learned to make sure there will be a priest, or other clergy aboard.

Merry Christmas to you all.

nancy brown

Archived