Oosterdam or Mercury? Help me please!

mapman_2004

Celebrity has a deal for an 11 night Mexican Riviera cruise on the Mercury. I am booked on the HAL Oosterdam April 14th in a SY suite. For $700 less, I can get the Mercury for 4 more nights and three more ports. The room however is an oceanview, no balcony.

What do you all recommend? Keep the Oosterdam (with one pod) or go for the Mercury (with a smaller room and no balcony)?

My wife and I will be travelling with our to-be one year old daughter. She is very good and travels well...

Any help is appreciated! Thanks, Brian

Well...how bout both?

J/K.....I'm partial to HAL. And it sounds a lot like the 10 day on the Ryndam, which are always priced more than the 7 day cruises. I was originally booked on the Ryndam but didn't want to wait until March to cruise. I came down with a serious case of cruise-itis and had to go as soon as possible. I even knew about the pod issue going in. However, if given a 2nd chance, I'd reconsider and book the Zuiderdam instead.

As far as booking with Celebrity in particular, I will leave that one for the people who've been on both lines.

Mercury is a substantially older ship than the "O". There is no contest between an outside cabin on the Mercury or an SY on the 'O'. Thae extra space alone on HAL is worth it and I am sure you will be extra careful on the balcony, given your DD is probably climbing if not already tottering.

Brian:

Hopefully, Oosterdam will have two functioning azipods by your April cruise date:). I think you need to ask yourself what is more important: itinerary and ports, or cabin and creature comforts? If you want creature comforts, I would say pick the SY on Oosterdam. If ports and itinerary are the attraction, then pick Mercury with the extra travel destinations. What does your wife say? It's always important to check in with the wife first;)

Karin

Difficult choice I agree. I have sailed Mercury and have been on board (but not sailed) Oosterdam. I have sailed with both companies.

If you are willing to accept a much smaller cabin, (172 sq.ft.) no balcony and a very small bathroom with shower only - you can choose Mercury.

However travelling with your daughter, I personnaly would sail on Oosterdam. The cabin is much larger (389 sq.ft.), a bigger sittingarea and of course you can sit on the balcony when your daughter has her sleep Also the bathroom is much larger incl. a bathtub.

Believe you will have twice or even more the space.

Be aware that on both ships your daughter will not be allowed on the pools.

Have a great cruise

Ine--

HAL's Verandah cabins on Oosterdam aren't that large - only in the @190 sf range. That 389 sf stateroom is for a Deluxe Suite ;)

Brian--

I had the worst cruise of my life on Mercury - and it was "free".

I'd take a week on Oosterdam just sitting at the pier before I stepped aboard Mercury for any length of time again.

(there's a good reason that Mercury cruise is so cheap...)

Brian, The SY suite is 389 square feet. So it is a big difference.

I read your review of the Mercury. Sounded pretty bad. I have read a lot of good reviews however, so it's not an easy conclusion for me...

Thanks for the thoughts!

Brian--

My Bad - I somehow missed the fact that you were looking at an SY.

:o

IMHO - There's no comparison between that and a standard outside on Mercury - and James Deering is simply the best HM. He and his staff are exemplary and will make sure you and your family are well cared for aboard Oosterdam.

The extra four days at sea are very tempting, I know. But... Having sailed on the Zuiderdam (Oosterdam's sister ship) in an SY and on the Galaxy (Mercury's sister ship) in an oceanview cabin, I would definitely take the SY for space(HUGE veranda and bathroom), amenities, comfort and the wonderful bedding.

We loved the Galaxy (though NOT the beds--ugh!) the food and service also were terrific. But I've heard lots of negative things recently about the Mercury and would not choose that ship. As Brian pointed out, there IS a reason the Mercury is so cheap!

The Oosterdam is a fantastic ship with a wonderful crew, great service and well-appointed, spacious cabins. I'd go for the Big O!

IMHO, better 7 days of relaxation, space, comfort and elegance, than 11 days in a cramped cabin, with awful beds, no balcony on an older,poorly-maintained ship.

Given the choice you have, I would take HAL! Like Brian, we had the worst cruise ever on Mercury, having lived thru one of their "bleach" cruises last year. Aside from that, we found the Mercury a difficult ship to get to know, our balcony cabin was of the smallest, and worst laid-out, of any cabin we have ever had and the crew could not begin to compare to the ones we have experienced on HAL.

I believe Mercury is finally scheduled for drydock in the spring and may have better beds and furnishings (and perhaps a happier crew) when that is complete but for now, its pretty dreary! :p

We cruised on the Mercury Fall 2005. She looked very worn at that time and I know she still has not had a dry dock. So, I would be very concerned about her condition. We stayed in a Royal Suite which was wonderful. However, we were not real impressed with the Butler service(would prefer the Nuptune Lounge) and the mattress was terrible. We had a wonderful time and met THE MOST fun people. But, we missed HAL.

We have cruised on the Oosterdam two times and will again December 16th (6th HAL cruise). We love this ship. The cabin you have picked is very nice and large and you won't be disappointed there (and the mattresses are wonderful). I love the decor of the ship and it has recently gone through a dry dock for varies upgrades and upkeep (OK, still needs that Azipod fixed but they are working on that and she's still cruising). The crew is wonderful and the Hotel Manager Mr. Deering is not only great at his job but is warm and engaging as well. Still exudes passion for a position which I would assume would have a pretty high burn out rate. A true professional.

I can only pass on my past experiences and it will be up to you to decide which cruise is best for you. A longer cruise is always nice but I'm not sure if I would be able to enjoy that extra time on a worn out ship in a small cabin.......... Wendy

Man oh man.

HAL could make my life a lot easier if they just extended the cruise by 4 days at no extra cost. Can I slip the captain a twenty and ask him to continue to Acapulco, Manzanilla, and Ixtapa?

I'm really leaning towards HAL. It's funny, I posted this same thread on both Celebrity and HAL, and have gotten opposite reactions. A lot of people swear by the Mercury and enjoyed their cruises.

I don't think I've heard one bad thing about HAL, except for the azipod....

I just came back from the Osterdam... And although she was not my favorite cruise... I would go for with the Suite. I would even check into the SB suite? The bigger one. I have read on these boards that the suites on HAL are really worth it. You get alot of extras- laundry, appetizers...and alot more- but these could really come in handy when your baby is sleeping. 10 days in a cramped room- no way!!

Do find out when they are going to dry dock the osterdam- I heard April?

Good luck.

Man oh man.

HAL could make my life a lot easier if they just extended the cruise by 4 days at no extra cost. Can I slip the captain a twenty and ask him to continue to Acapulco, Manzanilla, and Ixtapa?

I'm really leaning towards HAL. It's funny, I posted this same thread on both Celebrity and HAL, and have gotten opposite reactions. A lot of people swear by the Mercury and enjoyed their cruises.

I don't think I've heard one bad thing about HAL, except for the azipod....

I feel your pain. 7 days seems to go by so quickly, 11 days is really nice.

There are a couple of large category 5s that are huge. They are at the front of the ship and have an excellent view over the bow. Their numbers are 8004 or 8007. No balcony, but they are one of my favorite cabins of all the ships I have been on. I think I would be really tempted to go with the Mercury if you could get one of those for close to the bargain price you mentioned.

As far as the ships condition, you have been given low expectations by a couple of posters here......perhaps when you sailed her you will find yourself saying "this isn't bad at all!"

I feel your pain. 7 days seems to go by so quickly, 11 days is really nice.

There are a couple of large category 5s that are huge. They are at the front of the ship and have an excellent view over the bow. Their numbers are 8004 or 8007. No balcony, but they are one of my favorite cabins of all the ships I have been on. I think I would be really tempted to go with the Mercury if you could get one of those for close to the bargain price you mentioned.

As far as the ships condition, you have been given low expectations by a couple of posters here......perhaps when you sailed her you will find yourself saying "this isn't bad at all!"

8004 is available. What is the square feet on that? It appears much bigger than the others of same category...

8004 is available. What is the square feet on that? It appears much bigger than the others of same category...

I measured it one time, and I would guesstimate about 258 sq ft.

It has a very large window about 5 feet wide. We moved our table over by the window so we could eat and enjoy the great view!

The cabin kind of juts out over the water so you can look straight down and see the surface.

The only drawbacks to this cabin is less closet space and more movement being at the front ( but I love that!)

Surprised it is still available...word is out what a nice cabin it is.:) You won't feel cramped thats for sure.

Archived