best ruins to visit?

sweetsuri

My wife and I took the Lamani and New River excursion offered through the NCL Dream. It was the highlight of our cruise. The ruins are not on the same scale as places such as Uxmal or Chichenitza but they are still very interesting. Not only did we get to tour (and climb) the ruins but the boat ride up the river to the ruins and back was awesome. Lots of wildlife to see and a great tour guide.

Keith

We stayed at Lamanai Outpost Lodge last Christmas break which is situated 1/4 mile from the Lamanai Ruins. The ruins are really pretty good. We have been to Chichen, Coba, Tulum and Ek Belem and found Lamanai interesting and well run by a small group of people dedicated to the preservation of this historic site. The grounds are well kept and we saw plenty of wildlife. There is a small building with artifacts and information on site and restrooms. The setting on the lagoon is fantastic and there are plenty of birds and even crocs. There is an old rum mill hidden down the jungly paths but beware of the howler monkeys who have been known to hurl feces. You will hear as well as smell them coming. I would say this is a great shore excursion considering the fact that half the fun is the boat ride up the New River to the Lagoon. The boat driver will stop and point out interesting birds and animals. Very suitable for families with children as well. Our 10 year old son had a blast. You could even walk to the nearby village of Indian Church and have a look around. There is an artisan workshop here where local craftsmen work on and sell their wares.

It should take you about 10 minutes to walk over. Have fun.

We did the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour. It was great fun...we were on the Carnival Valor and took it through the ship which was nice as we did return late and the ship did wait for us...

I think the jungle river trip to the ruins really helped round out the trip...

I think there are pics of it in my signature bar...

karyn

I took the Xunantunich tour earlier this year and loved it. There is one temple which is still one of the tallest buildings in Belize, and one can climb to the top, if they are so brave. I was!

Another advantage with this tour is across the country on the border of Guatemala, so we saw quit a bit of the countryside along the journey.

Archived