Rays,Reef & Rum Point

andrea t

Everyone seems to have such a great time on this tour with Native Way. I'd love to try it, especially pet the stingrays, but I'm a poor swimmer (adult female).How deep is the water? Does anyone wear life vests? Thanks for your feedback...Andrea

The first time we were there, we were in water that was up to my chin (I'm 5'-1"). There were a lot of boats there that day, so we were out on the edge.

The second time we were there, we were the only boat, and we were in an area that the water was only to our knees. It was awesome!

We didn't use Nativeway, but I'd think that they all have life vests onboard. On the trips we were on, some used the life vests, some did not.

Rum Point is really pretty, and IMO, I think doing the stingrays and then over to Rum Point would be fun. Even though you aren't a good swimmer, I'd do this excursion. It's really quite an amazing thing. And you shouldn't be in deep water, so you should be fine. :)

Everyone seems to have such a great time on this tour with Native Way. I'd love to try it, especially pet the stingrays, but I'm a poor swimmer (adult female).How deep is the water? Does anyone wear life vests? Thanks for your feedback...Andrea

Snorkling is not like swimming. You will float just fine. They do offer life vests if you are concerned. Some on our tour used them.

Sting ray city is 3 feet deep. No gear required.

Sting ray city is 3 feet deep. No gear required.

You can be in deeper water. We were the first time. There were a lot of boats, and we were out on the fringe of the sandbar. It was almost 5 feet deep. We went there thinking the water would be not as deep, and the first time we were shocked. At least I was since it was up to my chin (and I was on my tip-toes). :)

Another thing I thought of...

The last time we were there, it was rather windy, so I spent a lot of time hanging onto a rope that they'd tossed out. I don't recall if it was the rope for the anchor, or it had a floating thing at the end, but it went quite a distance from the back of the boat.

Maybe it depends on weather etc. But the reef was deep and they provided floatation if you wanted it. Our son (8 Yrs old) is a poor swimmer, but did great as a snorkler. Others uses life vests. Our guide coaxed a nurse shark and moray eel out of the rocks. Amazing!

Our guide leaped over the side of the boat and pulled up 2 huge live starfish for us to hold.

The sand bar was shallow. See pics.

IMG_1402_Large.thumb.jpg

Sand bar

IMG_1410_Large.sized.jpg

From the air (a friend did the helicopter tour)

693243093405_0_BG.jpg

Rum Point. Hot tasty food waiting for us.

IMG_1430_Large.sized.jpg

[

Maybe it depends on weather etc.

I believe the weather can play a role in the water depth. But for us, although we had a wonderful time and the weather was beautiful, we were shocked at how deep the water was. We still didn't wear life jackets, but being up to my chin made it tough to walk around. That particular day there were lots of tour boats, and when that happens, they have to drop anchor where there's a spot...and ours just happened to be in a spot where the water was deep. It surprised me because I was expecting water up to my waist (or below), which is what we had the second time we were there.

But it was still fun. We just had more fun the second time when we were the only boat there. That was awesome!

Loved your pictures...especially the one with the little boy and the starfish!

I believe the weather can play a role in the water depth. But for us, although we had a wonderful time and the weather was beautiful, we were shocked at how deep the water was. We still didn't wear life jackets, but being up to my chin made it tough to walk around. That particular day there were lots of tour boats, and when that happens, they have to drop anchor where there's a spot...and ours just happened to be in a spot where the water was deep. It surprised me because I was expecting water up to my waist (or below), which is what we had the second time we were there.

But it was still fun. We just had more fun the second time when we were the only boat there. That was awesome!

Loved your pictures...especially the one with the little boy and the starfish!

I guess if it's crowded, they have to anchor in deeper water. I can imagine it would be more frightening if the water was up to your chin.

We went with Native Way (2 weeks ago) and when they saw the crowds they took us to the reef and waited until it thinned out. These guys were fantastic. When we got to the sand bar, there were fewer boats. Also, they said since Steve Irwin was playing with dangerous Manta Rays (not tame stingrays) their buisiness has tanked. So, our tour had only 8 people on board.

Thanks, the boy is our (8 yo) son. They stopped the boat, one of the guides jumped overboard and promptly came up with 2 of these huge starfish in his hands. He brought them on the boat for us to hold. They were very careful to make sure we didn't turn them over (and spill out their water) and kept wetting them down to keep them alive. I was impressed with their sense of conservation.

Stingray city is still my favorite excursion and most of the reason was the Native Way tour guides and videographer. The DVD was great quality and so much fun to view.

Russ...

Up to my chin in water wasn't really that bad...I would have preferred the water to be more shallow, but it was really still a wonderful experience. I wondered if less people would do the stingray excursion after Steve Irwin died...that's too bad that the numbers are down. But I would imagine as time goes on, they will pick up again. I'd get nowhere near a stingray that wasn't in stingray sanbar. Not that they are tame...but they are used to being around people.

That is just so neat about the starfish. He has such an excited look on his face. I'm sure this is something that he'll remember all his life. My kids are all in their 20's. I remember those days when they were young when every day was an adventure. I only wish we had been able to take them to a place like Grand Cayman when they were that age.

We had a video person on our last trip. It was really fun to see what was going on around you (while in the water). It was so much clearer and more colorful than what I was seeing. We were staying in a condo, and the video people delivered it right to our door. Captain Marvin's used the same company. While we were at Rum Point, we saw the gal that was on our tour, and she was with the Native Way group (that day). It was well-worth the money.

Archived