Help Me Settle An Argument - Size of Staterooms on Fantasy Class Ships

Rowan555

My father, who just returned from the Fantasy, insists that the OV rooms are larger than the inside. I had always thought that the standard inside and oceanview cabins were the same exact size on older ships - but now that I'm looking at the deck plans, the OV staterooms in the graphic are indeed SLIGHTLY longer than the inside rooms. Is this just an oversight, or are the rooms actually a bit larger?

This isn't a big deal, I'm just curious. My dad kept insisting his room on the Fantasy was "the smallest he'd ever been in" - but I think his perception is a little skewed because his last 2 cruises he had a balcony on the Spirit!

My father, who just returned from the Fantasy, insists that the OV rooms are larger than the inside. I had always thought that the standard inside and oceanview cabins were the same exact size on older ships - but now that I'm looking at the deck plans, the OV staterooms in the graphic are indeed SLIGHTLY longer than the inside rooms. Is this just an oversight, or are the rooms actually a bit larger?

This isn't a big deal, I'm just curious. My dad kept insisting his room on the Fantasy was "the smallest he'd ever been in" - but I think his perception is a little skewed because his last 2 cruises he had a balcony on the Spirit!

The cabins are fairly standard throughout the fleet (there are some exceptions). 185 - 186 sq ft for the inside, ocean view and the inside of a balcony cabin. There are some ocean view cabins that have floor to ceiling windows and are about 235 sq ft. Also the cat 9 cabins on the Spirit class ships are about 230 sq ft on the inside.

cruisedeckplans.com says that cat. 6 and cat. 4 are both 186 sf. CDP is usually pretty accurate, not 100% but pretty close.

Dan

Thanks - I am going to email this to my dad! He is just 100% convinced his room was smaller than the room across the hall. I really thought he was wrong, but the deck plans on Carnival's site DO make the rooms look to be a different size.

We've had the Spa Deck staterooms with the floor to ceiling windows, and IMO they can't be beat - not only for the view but also for the extra square footage. I still don't have a problem "roughing it" on the Fantasy lol. We'll book Spa Deck on the Triumph next year - I already can't wait.

My dad has been on the Celebration, Holiday, and Sensation - so I'll inform him that his stateroom on the Fantasy was in fact no smaller than on those other three ships.

We had an inside on the Fantasy when it came out. Only difference was no window (= no light), and we tried to make it seem that the crutains were closed, covering the window.

Didn't work, and never booked an inside again! :eek:

Rowan: Your Dad probably did indeed have "cabin shock". Our last 2 cruises (before the Miracle) was a balcony and a 5A....then we got an interior room on the Miracle and never again!! Thank goodness this time there was only the 3 of us instead of 4. We had a wonderful cruise, but I did have "cabin shock" when I walked in. It was the first time we had an interior on a Spirit class ship.

We have interior rooms on the Fantasy this month, but we got 2 cabins on Upper. With 2 folks in each, it should not be bad. We had interior cabins on the Paradise (2 cabins) for the 4 of us and it worked out well. Hubby likes to take a nap during the day and likes the "darkness" for that reason.

Actually, it depends on which interior cabin you have. A category 1A (Upper/Lower Inside) stateroom is 160 square feet on average. Category 4A - 6D (Interior and Ocean View) staterooms are 186 square feet on average. :) This is from cruisedeckplans.com.

Actually, it depends on which interior cabin you have. A category 1A (Upper/Lower Inside) stateroom is 160 square feet on average. Category 4A - 6D (Interior and Ocean View) staterooms are 186 square feet on average. :) This is from cruisedeckplans.com.

Yes, I was comparing 4A to 6A. I know there are some REALLY small staterooms, but they had a 4A Quad. That added to the claustrophobia - those upper berths on Fantasy class ships are quite imposing and my Dad hit his head on them at least once a day. I told them to be SURE to check the deck plans before booking in the future so they're sure the PVP isn't putting them in a Quad.

I just checked, and we've got a triple for the 4 of us on our upcoming cruise. This is PERFECT, as my 7 year old has "upper berth phobia" so they can give him a rollaway. I was worried about how that would all work out. I'm also happy to not have those two upper berths encroaching on our space. That's one thing I love about the newer ships - the upper berths just "disappear" during the day!

Yes, I was comparing 4A to 6A. I know there are some REALLY small staterooms, but they had a 4A Quad. That added to the claustrophobia - those upper berths on Fantasy class ships are quite imposing and my Dad hit his head on them at least once a day. I told them to be SURE to check the deck plans before booking in the future so they're sure the PVP isn't putting them in a Quad.

Ah, yes, I can see how just having those upper berths there would make the room seem smaller! Especially if you're having to be careful not to hit your head on them! :)

sotadragon,

How did you get on that website the measurements of 160 Sq. Ft. for an inside 1A cabin?

I have looked over at that website for Carnival's' Ecstasy and they didn't have a photo of the inside/1A cabin and didn't have a diagram. Did I look in the wrong place or what? I am confused.:rolleyes:

I've always had inside rooms on Fantasy class untill this last cruise - had M8, a porthole. Seemed bigger to us. Maybe because it was all the way forward & only had single row of inside cabins across from us.

The way ships are being built in the modern is this: The hull is built in the shipyard, the cabins are built in a warehouse/mfg. plant somewhere else and trucked to the ship. They are built with electrical and plumbing installed, then they are essentially "plugged", into the ship once its ready for cabins.

However, odd shaped cabins are built right into the ship like in the old days. So the 5A's and aft cabins can be larger or smaller then any other cabins. We had a 5A once that had to be 250 sq. ft., it was huge.

Dan

sotadragon,

How did you get on that website the measurements of 160 Sq. Ft. for an inside 1A cabin?

I have looked over at that website for Carnival's' Ecstasy and they didn't have a photo of the inside/1A cabin and didn't have a diagram. Did I look in the wrong place or what? I am confused.:rolleyes:

Hi monakayk,

No, I think you were in the right place, but didn't scroll down far enough. :) Under the part that has the diagram and info for "Interior Stateroom", it says "Upper/Lower Inside Stateroom" and next to it on the left it says "Cat: 1A". That's where I got my info.

Hi monakayk,

No, I think you were in the right place, but didn't scroll down far enough. :) Under the part that has the diagram and info for "Interior Stateroom", it says "Upper/Lower Inside Stateroom" and next to it on the left it says "Cat: 1A". That's where I got my info.

sotadragon,

OK---I am totally confused or what?!!!:rolleyes:

I went to this page: http://cruisedeckplans.com/

Then on that page...I had to click the 'Public Site' since I am not a member. From there I went clicked on Carnival and then on Ecstasy. I did not see any place that said: "Interior Stateroom".

Am I on the wrong part of this website or what?:eek:

Can you explained where I need to go to see the "Interior Stateroom".

:)Thanks!:)

sotadragon,

OK---I am totally confused or what?!!!:rolleyes:

I went to this page: http://cruisedeckplans.com/

Then on that page...I had to click the 'Public Site' since I am not a member. From there I went clicked on Carnival and then on Ecstasy. I did not see any place that said: "Interior Stateroom".

Am I on the wrong part of this website or what?:eek:

Can you explained where I need to go to see the "Interior Stateroom".

:)Thanks!:)

That's because you're looking at the Ecstasy and not the Fantasy. I just realized that. Sorry! I don't know if the Ecstasy is really that different from the Fantasy, but if it is then maybe that's why the details aren't listed.

Anyone else know about that?

That's because you're looking at the Ecstasy and not the Fantasy. I just realized that. Sorry! I don't know if the Ecstasy is really that different from the Fantasy, but if it is then maybe that's why the details aren't listed.

Anyone else know about that?

Could be they are different, but I have read on another post today that someone said these 1A inside with bunk beds could be around 160 Ft. also.

So we will see if the CTA was lying to us or not when we get in our cabins!

:)Thanks again for trying to answer my questions.:)

Could be they are different, but I have read on another post today that someone said these 1A inside with bunk beds could be around 160 Ft. also.

So we will see if the CTA was lying to us or not when we get in our cabins!

:)Thanks again for trying to answer my questions.:)

You're welcome. Let us know what's what when you get back! :)

Go to Cruisedeckplans.com

Click on cruisedeckplans.com

Click on Carnival

Click on Fantasy

Click on Riviera deck [or whatever deck you like]

left middle of the page is the deck plan, it has its own scroll down elevator,

right middle of the page is the cabin categories and descriptions with its own scroll down elevator

under cat. 1A it says:

Cat: 1A

Upper/Lower Inside Stateroom, Upper and Lower berths, Television, Bathroom with Shower, Telephone, Wall safe in Closet. Average size 160 square feet.

On Decks: Riviera, Upper, Empress

Dan

Archived