Clothing tips for teens - help!

Spikesgirl

My DH and I have no children, however we have decided to take our god daughter with us to the British Isle next July on Princess. The big snag is that she lives in Florida, we live in California. Her mom said, "Okay tell me what I have to pack." Therein lies my question. Do 14 year olds have the same clothing needs as the rest of us on a cruise? you know, a couple formal outifts, some casual? I'm also concerned because she lives in Florida and Scotland/Ireland isn't exactly known for their sub tropic temps.

Any help or suggestions would be great. I am also going to post this on the clothing board, but wanted to start here first.

Thanks for your help,

Charlie

I would say by 14 kids are expected to follow the dress code as adults. I think the debates I have seen on these boards relates to teenage boys' dress (jacket v. no jacket, etc.) rather than girls' dress. I guess most people assume girls love to dress up!:D

I agree with the reply that says by that age the 'dress code' standards are pretty similar.

As to the climate issue - be certain that DGD packs clothing that can be layered and a good all-purpose windbreaker type jacket. On the open waters even in July there will be a cool breeze (or winds). Being from a warmer clime, she will probably be a bit cooler than we hardy midwesterners were!

Thank you so much for the suggestion. i will give her mom a call. That will be something they can do while she's on winter break. We live in Northern California and have four very distinct seasons, so we're okay, but I'm just worried that she might freeze something important off if we're not careful.:eek:

I will be sure to memtion the wind chill to her mom. That was the biggest surprise to me on our first cruise (to Alaska) was how cold the wind was at sea. Duh, the wind never blew on "Love Boat"!:D

Anyhow, I appreciate the advice - we're a little out of our league here, but here's to adventures.

Charlie

Archived