Pearl Transatlantic - Shoreguy Blog - 2 December 2006

shoreguy

That's the type of cruises Orient does with the Marco Polo. An around the Atlantic cruise like that would take at least three weeks. You have 10 ports on your wish list, it could take four weeks. It would have to be done the summer to sail that far north, during NCL's prime Florida/Bahamas weekly sailings. I don't think it would be wise financially.

Regent could do so, but they would charge $5,000 for an Inside cabin. I shutter to think what a Garden Villa would cost on a cruise that long, $100,000+. That's two to three years of wages for most folks.

Come on guys and gals, get real, NCL isn't an upscale cruise line, they're a mass market cruise line.

NCL has always been the innovative cruise line. They can't keep running the same tired itineraries forever. No reason why they can't bring one of their Miami ships to New York for the summer for extended cruises around the North Atlantic. They would have no problem filling the ship in the huge New York area market. Teachers and retirees alone would provide millions of potential passengers. Time for some new innovations from NCL.

. Nothing final but don’t expect to see formal nights in the daily. You want to dress up any night feel free. My bet (get ready for the food fight) jeans will be perfectly ok and any restaurant. Those that really want the formal experience in the futer or their cruise will be ruined shop around. Those that want a relaxed vacation will be lining up to book and that is the intent of the New New NCL.

Time for lunch – more later.

SG- When and if will this be final? I just want to know what to pack for February THANKS

SG, were the seas already heavy when you did your life boat drill on Saturday or were you close enough to Southhamton that it was relatively calm? If it was rough, what was the reaction from the crew and shipmates as you went through the drill? I just can't picture getting into lifeboats being tossed around in 30 foot waves.

Typically, the Muster Drill invites you to sections of the Theatre, a restaurant, or the reception area.

There a headcount is taken, and instructions are given on how to put on your vest.

No longer do they send you out on deck, and certainly it's not a practice drill in terms of getting in & out of the lifeboats.

It's just a "what to do if you hear this alarm, drill". Report to a central area, be identified, and then leave in an orderly fashion with your assigned crew-members.

Still...not fun in 30 ft waves! :eek:

Typically, the Muster Drill invites you to sections of the Theatre, a restaurant, or the reception area.

No longer do they send you out on deck,

It all depends where your cabins are. Last 3 times went out on deck, in Feb, in NY.

I would think that the Muster Drill took place before the storm.

Interesting comments about the muster drill. On our first 3 cruises, we did go outside and stand on the deck. This last time, the muster locations were various spots inside the ship -- ours happened to be in Le Bistro, but I think they used most of the public restaurant and bar areas throughout the ship.

The comment that was made by our muster drill leader was that they've determined that the safest place to have passengers report in case of an emergency isn't outside on the deck, but inside the ship until everyone is accounted for. His statement implied that the change was made following the Star Princess fire, and that the last place you would have wanted passengers was on the deck outside, since the fire was affecting the balconies and debris was falling onto the deck.

Interestingly enough, I did just read a review from someone who'd been on the Sun which seemed to indicate their muster location was still outside on the deck. That makes me wonder if it's a corporate wide policy or if this decision is left up to the captain or someone else on board the ship.

Our first cruise was June 17 of this year on the NCL Sun. Everyone, was asked to go outside, next to their assigned life boat, after we were about an hour away from Seattle. We then had a crew member provide us with instruction on how to put on the life vest, etc. That is my point of reference for asking a question earlier to SG.

No formal night is fine with me and as long as the clothes are clean, I personally don't care what other people wear. I do like to occassionally dress up but missing carrying my tux is no big deal. Traditonallist will be upset but have you been to the theater lately, church or see what people wear on airplanes? ... The traditionalist won't care because they probably won't be on NCL anyway.

No formal night is fine with me and as long as the clothes are clean, I personally don't care what other people wear. I do like to occassionally dress up but missing carrying my tux is no big deal. Traditonallist will be upset but have you been to the theater lately, church or see what people wear on airplanes? ... The traditionalist won't care because they probably won't be on NCL anyway.

I agree!

Hi Sid:) Were you away again?

I am having a difficult time getting a handle on this news about the more relaxed clothing. We all know that we haven`t had to wear formal since Freestyle.

With the larger ships.......rock climbing wall.......bowling alley.....jeans allowed, etc. It seems like a dumbed down RCI:o Oh...and the public beds:eek: That seems to be taking the Whatever a tad too far:rolleyes:

Now if they allow everyone to make dining reservations on line before the cruise??.......

Hi Sid:) Were you away again?

I am having a difficult time getting a handle on this news about the more relaxed clothing. We all know that we haven`t had to wear formal since Freestyle.

With the larger ships.......rock climbing wall.......bowling alley.....jeans allowed, etc. It seems like a dumbed down RCI:o Oh...and the public beds:eek: That seems to be taking the Whatever a tad too far:rolleyes:

Now if they allow everyone to make dining reservations on line before the cruise??.......

I'm not Sid but :D

Shoreguy, I could not help laughing when I read your post about "Groundhog Day," the movie, playing over and over again. :D

Snorklin' Barb will be sailing on The Pearl, leaving Miami on February 2, 2007 - Groundhog Day. Thus, we are "The Groundhog Cruise." ;)

Please tell her "Congratulations" for heading up the winning bowling team on your TA Pearl cruise.

It's very exciting to read reports and see pictures of the ship. Thanks for posting. :)

Nothing final but don’t expect to see formal nights in the daily. You want to dress up any night feel free. My bet (get ready for the food fight) jeans will be perfectly ok and any restaurant. Those that really want the formal experience in the futer or their cruise will be ruined shop around.

This makes sense for NCL to go in this direction. It will avoid confusion with the marketing of "FreeStyle".

It's too bad they don't make at least one specialty restaurant "dress up" (suit/tie, gowns) only.

From the cached thread

Ruth will remain on the Pearl until Feb 2 or so. She plans to return to the ship after vacation but nothing is cast in stone.

Cagney’s for breakfast and lunch is no additional charge it is in the price of the penthouse.

Master of the Vessel – Captain Trond Kildar from Norway - I very visible and personable man.

Chris Tacteras is our butler – I believe he just came from the Star. But his heart is with the Majesty.

Bowling – CC are the Rock Stars of bowling – teams of 6 alternate shot – Average team score around 50….lol

Kcat relax – the picture window and TV are still in the master bath. You no longer have to worry about folks on the balcony making faces at you in the tub.

Coka – did you finish your review yet from the meatless Jewel – lol .

I will repeat myself – no soft serve ice cream machine planned – we make too much of a mess. Keep the cards and letters coming in NCL does listen wait till my next post.

I ran into the manager today who had the change issue – He thanked me for helping him solve the problem. In addition to the change machine Miami is working on modifying the machine to take key cards – enough said.

Stay tuned for big news for some of you – being sugar free no big deal for me but proof NCL listens.

CHOCOLATE FONDUE IS COMING TO THE BISTRO ON THE PEARL

Banana pancakes will return to Lotus as well.

Klaus and Sean stopped me this morning will making their rounds. The pots are ordered and will be added to the ship in Miami. It will appear as a special desert in the Bistro. The issue was raised in our CC meeting, in conversation, and yes NCL reads these boards any your emails.

Anything else you need the CC members onboard to do…lol

yes NCL reads these boards

Does this mean I'm gonna win one of the "birthday cruises"? LOL

Actually, I know paying for your time you won't have time to look till you get home, but we (and someone with NCL as well) are having a lot of fun with that thread (and their website)

-Monte

CHOCOLATE FONDUE IS COMING TO THE BISTRO ON THE PEARL

Banana pancakes will return to Lotus as well.

Klaus and Sean stopped me this morning will making their rounds. The pots are ordered and will be added to the ship in Miami. It will appear as a special desert in the Bistro. The issue was raised in our CC meeting, in conversation, and yes NCL reads these boards any your emails.

Anything else you need the CC members onboard to do…lol

I don't care HOW insane it is to be so happy at this news! I don't care how kind of PATHETIC it sounds that this No More Fondue issue has been bugging me since Shoreguy first reported it. I don't CARE.

All I care about is that there will be chocolate fondue available once again!!!!!!!!!! :)

Now if NCL would just reconsider the No More L'Occitane Issue ...

;)

33.32.87 N 43.20.19 W – 66 F – foggy

A little break and some pictures of food from the Pearl

Had the best Mac and Cheese ever for lunch in Cagney’s. Walked in and Snokelingbarb was eating some. Looked around half the restaurant was enjoying comfort food. Just a little smoked ham served in an individual sized cast iron dish. 3 cheeses and a little fresh Parm at the table.

Also attached – my entrée at the Bistro – double double escargot.

Finally the short rib and filet from the Bistro.

280870083_pearl2MacandCheese.JPG.6d8c4640417a9bbbaebaf3a775d7a11d.JPG

137668725_pearl2snails.JPG.fbfa0d43a3799e5a711b5cced7265e08.JPG

166154939_pearl2filandrib.JPG.cfb4a0fe42b2ae17b1590c6375046465.JPG

Had the best Mac and Cheese ever for lunch in Cagney’s. Walked in and Snokelingbarb was eating some. Looked around half the restaurant was enjoying comfort food. Just a little smoked ham served in an individual sized cast iron dish. 3 cheeses and a little fresh Parm at the table

Remember the squabble someone had about mac & cheese a while back? They were asking for a photo of it, I hope they're still around. That pic looks pretty good to me!

-Monte

I miss it too, I tried the new line they provide on the Spirit and it is not by length as good as the wonderful L'Occitane.

The new Spa Line Frances Denney would be lovely for a bathroom Amenety upgrade for the Mini Suites. For the Villas you would expect more! Bvlgari, Aveda, Aqua di Parma or Molton Brown!!! The Penthouses back to L'Occitane!

The new stuff gave me dandruff, since it dried out my scalp, dry skin from the lotion (not rich enaugh) and soap is basically soap.

As long as they do not upgrade it again...I have to bring everything with me...so extra weight on luggage, since I'm not using Frances Denny!

Archived