Pearl Transatlantic - Shoreguy Blog - 2 December 2006

shoreguy

Hey Shoreguy: I wasn't going to add to the clutter on your blog, but I gotta say: Thank you so much!! I am thoroughly enjoying every minute of it! It's actually 1 in the morning, and I got up to check for the latest installment (I didn't have a chance before bed)!! It sounds like the ship is really great, and I'm counting the days til I'm on her!

Hi ShoreGuy - Thanks for the posts.

Glad to hear that Snorklin' Barb is out and about. Please tell her that the lake had a crust of ice this morning, but it's a LOT better than 35 foot seas. I got queasy just reading your post, not to mention the photo.

Hi Shoreguy,

Appreciate your comments and pics to help us make plans for March!

If you get an opportunity, would you check out the handicapped balcony cabins? I'm especially interested in the differences in the bathroom and sitting area.

Thanks.

Another winner - you are correct- If we went north it would be hell

Hi Shoreguy - it is great to read your blog and especially to know you are having a fabulous time. Sounds like you're going to come back with a few extra pounds (join the rest of us fluffy people):p

I got all excited when I saw the picture of my COUNTRY :D :D

Keep writing and I insist on you drinking a nice martini to our good health and "retrouvailles". Enjoy :cool:

Jim,

Please make sure to say hello to Klaus, Sean and Jose for me. It's the first new International Ship newbuild I haven't been on since 2001, but am enjoying spending time at home with the family.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Mike Szwajkowski

Jim,

Please make sure to say hello to Klaus, Sean and Jose for me. It's the first new International Ship newbuild I haven't been on since 2001, but am enjoying spending time at home with the family.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Mike Szwajkowski

I can't take time to reply to every question at $.40 per minute but for you Mike anything.

1 pm Dec 05

Speaking of action stations for lunch we just returned from enjoying a our lunch in the Garden Restaurant. I have to say I loved it. Normally I can tolerate the buffet food for a quick bit in this case I am even tempered to try it for dinner. Too ladies from the UK joined our table and have been taking most of their meals their. They quickly found you could get everything that was being served in the main restaurants and more. “Maybe not served so fancy”.

My son commented this does not seem like buffet food. It really is not. Each station prepares and restocks small quantities of fresh dishes. Here is a quick rundown of what I saw served today. Salad station, Roasted chicken carved to order, roast lamb carving station, sausages, Cod filets, Braised beef short ribs (same as the ones in the Bistro) , Wok station with a meat and meatless selection, Ruben Sandwich, Pizza, the normal Hamburgers and Franks cooked at the station… I know I missed a lot of other options. One thing with the new seating which looks and feels great it can be a bit tight working thru the tables with your food.

Off to the Latitudes Party perhaps to win a bottle of bubbly to add to the other 3 in the fridge. I did have the mini bar emptied – no problem

5 pm back from Latitudes – did not win anything L.

The storm we went thru is headed to Norway and grew from a gale warning to the last named storm this year. As the Captain said I can now add sailing thru a Cat 3 hurricane to my cruise resume. Sustained winds well over 100 Knots.

They continue to fix the little things on the ship. Sliding balcony doors that will not stay open, balcony divider doors, some panels in the ceiling of the main dining room. If you really want to shake down a ship this is the way.

36 from the rollcall tonight in Tepanyaki this evening at 7:30

Seas continue to improve and we have been told that tomorrow we will be poolside 26-28 C. It was great poolside today as I had the place to myself

975680482_pearl2solopoolside.JPG.0c800a142a0a7d2c066b70e6cbf1fd54.JPG

Hello Everyone from the Garden Villa on the Pearl,

First off, let me say Jim has done a great job of capturing the quality and wonderfulness of this ship. The crew has been great!!! We are just now approaching the Azores for our turn across the Atlantic towards Miami (We are exactly at 38.05N 24.006W). The ship is not putching as much as it did earlier today and certainly not as much as days ago. That was some storm we went through. Being the GV we had quite a bit of wind. We constantly had the sliding doors to the bathroom banging away and eventually had a steward duct tape them open. With the pitching decks our 89 yr old Grandmother has not gotten around too much, but maybe in the next day or so.

I have been very impressed as to how much the crew has been empowered to make sure guest needs are met. The addage "No wish is too extreme", seems to the moto here. Other than weather related issues I have no complaints. Regretably the weather does not offer complaint box.

We have eaten in Summer Palace for lunch on a rough day. Troy, who is sea sick prone, decided to look aft through the windows, and got quesaey, when he did so well go through the storm. But the pitching up and down fore and aft did it for him. We also had Le Bistro last night. It was phenomel. Food and service were impeccable.

Those of you on the follow on cruises are in for a wonderful cruise. However, I am sure new dishes and glasses will be provisioned in Miami. I would not be surprised if we broke 1/2 of them so far. In Indigo, we heard plates crash every 5 minutes on day 2.

Oh yeah, They offer men's facial and shaves. It was one of the best experiences I have had for a shave in a long time. I highly recommend.

Well time to get ready for dinner.

6 pm 12/05

Wow – I just took the time to cache this thread and read much of it off line. In general I really can’t take the time to read and answer a lot of questions – time is money. I am surprised but not shocked on the assumptions made by some. It is a message board and that is the nature of one. I guess I should keep it a secret who you should talk to to fix problems. I prefer to call it sharing not name dropping. Lets address the connections issue for the last time. I have none other then those shared with everyone on CC. In fact every member of the roll call at the meet and greet was given the wireless number of every senior manager onboard and to please call with any issue,

Folks the change problem has been fixed. NOBODY knows what my conversation was but some would like to think they do. Some would like to think I would throw an employee under a bus. Some assumed I was at a hosted dinner it was not. Had I been at a hosted dinner I would have shared that as a part of what was supposed to be a fun blog. If it was a hosted dinner talking shop is what at least the management team on this ship would want. They want feedback, they want to know what other passengers are saying, the want very badly to fix any issues.

Somebody comes back from a cruise and becomes a one post wonder. The list all the problems they had. One of the first thing members ask is what did you do onboard to address those problems. So lets just drop it and move on with the Adventure.

I did see Klaus at the Latitudes party today and he assured me the problem was solved. The answer will give those of you that chose the dark side some insight into my conversation – They have ordered a change machine and it will be installed in Miami.

Moving on to more productive things ( I have a headache )

Location - 38 07 91 N 023 57.05 W

Pools Salt like all NCL ships.

Great outdoors – like the Jewel and extension of the Garden Café with outdoor seating and a Bar.

NYBOB – she will be shocked you posted. We were laughing today about the advice you got and your wisdom not to take this cruise. She is doing great running around and solving problems for others. She has been moved to a balcony cabin. All is well.. The board needs more first posts like yours.

Shows – the first GAR production show was planned for tonight the have moved it to later to let the seas settle down a bit more

AC pictures – see Jewel – those cabins are all booked and for the most part those passengers have been in bed as their cabin moved up and down 30 feet.

Last of all for tonight before I head out for a fun evening picture of the Kiddies

435997544_pearl2kidspools.JPG.a10803e6637949242b39a8931f778ba1.JPG

Thank you Shoreguy for your update on the change issue. We will now ALL benefit from your efforts on our behalf. As for those who felt they were just offering an "opinion" as to how you handled everything and their subsequent erroronious conclusions, perhaps they will have enough grace to offer you the apologies you deserve.

For what it is worth, I really was not cognizant of the "changegate" situation other than to say that I did read Shoreguys input on the day he was in the bar that did not have change. I never thought much about it and honestly had not read other posts other than his. I just have enjoyed his insight on the ship as my wife and I are going to be on our first ever cruise and I tend to be a bit of a planner.

Thanks.

Chris

Hello Shoreguy..Glad to hear you are enjoying your trip! I read that you have checked out the Villas..I saw some posted pictures of them, but no photos of the private sundeck...how large is the sundeck...did the addition of the 2 new Owners suites cut into the deck space? Looking forward to staying in 14000 in Jan!:)

Archived