America's Cup/12 meter challenge Question

tflanag1

I have read about this excursion in multiple sources, and it sounds like a fantastic experience. I have also read on this site and some others that the price is $70 per person. However, I will be taking a cruise on Carnival's Valor next month, and Carnival is selling this excursion for $90.

I contacted the 12-meter people directly, and they told me that they do not book cruise guests independently -- that I must go through Carnival.

A couple questions:

1. Does anyone know a way around this so that I can save $20 per person?

2. For those of you who have gone, was it worth that much money?

Now, to elaborate: they have signed contracts with the cruise ships, and therefore cannot book you independently of the ship.

This is one of the few ship's excursions that I recommend to others. It is well worth the $90 pp. Check out my photos for some pictures that I took of the boat that we raced.

I intend to do this excursion again someday. It is fantastic.

The 12 metre people have a deal with the cruise lines (according to the people we spoke with on the boat). If you are in port on a ship you must book thru your ship. period.

There is a way around this (think about it) but in my view it ain't worth the fuss.

The price is fine with me. You will have a blast.

Tell us about it when you return.

Have a great cruise

Cheers

MarkB

I agree with Michelle and Mark. The excursion was worth the money and I paid for five of us! We all enjoyed it, but we had perfect weather. It was the only excursion we have scheduled through the ship since that was the only way to do it. I like to do the research so we usually schedule our own excursions. We were happy we chose this one. Hope you have a great time, and that you win your race!

We just did this excursion through Caribbean Princess last week. We have not done "ship" excursions in - probably - five years. Thought we would try this one! It was awesome. And the folks who run it are first class.

Do it - you won't regret it. If you do, choose - ACTIVE participation - if you're able :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to have to disagree with this. We just did this excursion last week and I hated it. I was the wench wrench and I was so busy that I didnt have a chance to enjoy the sail.

It might be because we didnt have enough help, I think there were only 7 of us. I was having to go from side to side to wind in the rope and pull on something. It was exhausting. Never agian, I will go in a boat with a motor.

I am going to have to disagree with this. We just did this excursion last week and I hated it. I was the wench wrench and I was so busy that I didnt have a chance to enjoy the sail.

It might be because we didnt have enough help, I think there were only 7 of us. I was having to go from side to side to wind in the rope and pull on something. It was exhausting. Never agian, I will go in a boat with a motor.

Wow! You poor thing! I bet you WERE exhausted! There were a lot more on our excursion and I was also a winch wench. I just had to stay on one side. I am glad we had so many people on our excursion! Maybe it would be a good idea to check during the cancellation period to see how many people are on this excursion.

I find it interesting that Brenda's visit to St. Maarten 'last week' isn't reflected in her 'tickers' or her cruise chronology.

gary

Are you implying that I wasnt on a cruise last week? You can check all my previous post where I was posting live on our AOS cruise.

My daughter is the one that list all my cruises and countdown clocks because I do not know how to do it. She is usually away at college or just refuses to help. I just have to catch her in a good mood or it just doesnt happen. So usually it just doesnt happen.

I am going to try to get her to post my pictures. Good luck to me.

Archived