Bahama Cruise in January

bonniew88

What is the likelihood of having a bumpy ride? We're sailing on a 3-day cruise to the Bahamas on the Enchantment of the Seas on Jan 3. I've read on the boards that they sometimes cancel tenders to Cocoa Cay because of high winds. I'm beginning to get cold feet and need some reassurance. Thanks.

I don't know about winds and the Bahamas, but I can tell you about our first night out on our very first cruise. We hit a tropical storm on Oct 11, 2003 going from NYC to Bermuda. Walking wasn't easy and when you got in bed your feet were higher than your head one minute and then your right side was higher than your left. OK, this is tropical storm conditions. You should not have these conditions. Wind can make the waters choppy, but it should NOT be tropical stormlike. Remember that you are on a large cruiseship, not a rowboat. Remember that the boat has stablizers. You might not want to be up on the top level where it's going to be really windy, but there should be windowed areas of the ship where you can see a good view. If you are concerned about the boat rocking, the best place to be is in the middle of the ship and mid-level on the ship. In other words, find the most middle part of the ship and you should be fine. Weather is hard to predict and you will not be there in hurricane season. For all you know you'll have a smooth ride and come home with no horror stories. I have a message on the cruise rituals section of this site and while we thought our cruise was rough, many others wrote in about how their trips were much worse. It didn't stop us from taking another cruise. And, if my husband said let's go on another cruise, all I can say is, give me time to pack!

--Jo

Archived