Car rental at docks

stanjj111

Royal Car Rental http://www.arubaroyal.com/

Sabana Liber 15

Noord, Aruba

Tel : (297) - 5877900

Fax : (297) - 5875140

Toll-free number: 1-866-978-0965

I am sure the car company will give you some type of map. The map we always rely upon is a "pull out" located inside the "Aruba Experience" magazine. This is a local freebie given out in hotel lobbys. It may or may not be available at the cruise ship pier. Someone in your party doesn't mind walking they could always walk the 2 blocks and cross the street to the lobby of the Renaissance Resort. Perhaps they would have it in their lobby.

Dh and I have been to Aruba 13 times, but never really (i was once many years ago) on a cruise to Aruba. I will know much more about this mode of travel to the island when we return on January 2. :D

To see Eagle Beach, Palm Beach, Arashi & Malmok, the California Lighthouse & sand dunes, former Natural Bridge and Alto Vista chapel, you need to head north from downtown Oranjestad where the ship will be docked.

To get to Rogers Beach, Baby Beach, Boca Grande, Arikok National Park, Boca Prins, Dos Playa and the White Sand Dunes you need to head south from Oranjestad in the opposite direction around the island.

Unfortunately because of the terrain, there is no way to make a full circuit around the entire island.

My suggestion? After having a big breakfast, get your vehicle fairly early and head south first. If you need water, bringing your own is the most convenient. Soft sided cooler perhaps? After making your way down and around you'll be heading back in the direction of Oranjestad and the ship. By this time you should be ready for lunch.

Parking is difficult to come by downtown. If you head back to the ship for lunch or wish to eat at one of the many places in Oranjestad, you will need to drive around until you find a space. Other options are small "take away" stands along the road side, fast food places between Oranjestad and Palm Beach or one of the smaller restaurants near Eagle Beach or along Palm Beach.

Heading in the direction of Palm Beach you will be half way to the California Lighthouse. From there just follow the road north and continue towards the places I mentioned above.

We just returned from 11/23/06 sailing on the Volendam. I had reserved a Suzuki from AVIS and even had a confirmation #, but when we got off the ship there was no one at the AVIS stand. We had several people there that wanted to rent us a car, so we rented from HERTZ. We rented a mid sized car for $50.00. We went just about everywhere on the island and the car did just fine. There are very few signs as far as directions go, but we were still able to find all of the major sites

• 1 month later...

Archived