Live From the Dawn...

cruiserforlife

Actually, BART doesn't go to the pier. The Embarcadero station is about a mile away. You can always catch a cab from there, of course, or if you don't have much luggage, hop an F streetcar. Come to think of it, if you can't manage to comfortably haul your own luggage, BART from the airport is a bit problematical, anyway.

We just returned from our December 23 Holiday cruise on the Dawn Princess. As everyone has stated, the ship is in lovely and kept up very well.

Cruiserforlife, just wanted to let you know that the disturbing noise is still very present in C336. It sounds like a leaky air compressor is re-charging for the lifeboat mechanisms below. We reported it twice; and even had the pursers desk on the phone while it was happening one time. They sent someone to the room, but nothing was ever done. That room really should not be used until this problem is fixed. We mentioned it on our comment card, but I doubt anything will be done. On the other hand, Nonie, the room steward was wonderful. He was one of the best we've had so far. We did not tip him ahead of time, but did so at the end as well as the auto-tip; so I don't know if you need to bother with the extra $20 up front.

Overall, a nice cruise.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like a cab will be the best in getting from the airport to the hotel. We arranged for the cruise transporation from the ship to the airport. Luggage and how much is still up for discussion. I am sure it will be resolved before too long and I will probably get my way.......:)

Bonnie

Bonnie-Jean:

We arrived at the airport around 11:00 a.m. and took a taxi (van for 5 people with a lot of luggage) to the Best Western Tuscan Inn. It took around 25 minutes and cost $35 plus tip. We had a great taxi driver and the cost was very reasonable. We walked to the pier with our rolling luggage for embarkation. Both went very smoothly. We would do it that way again if we ever leave from SF. The Tuscan Inn was very nice and the employees were friendly and helpful.

We just returned from our December 23 Holiday cruise on the Dawn Princess. As everyone has stated, the ship is in lovely and kept up very well.

Cruiserforlife, just wanted to let you know that the disturbing noise is still very present in C336. It sounds like a leaky air compressor is re-charging for the lifeboat mechanisms below. We reported it twice; and even had the pursers desk on the phone while it was happening one time. They sent someone to the room, but nothing was ever done. That room really should not be used until this problem is fixed. We mentioned it on our comment card, but I doubt anything will be done. On the other hand, Nonie, the room steward was wonderful. He was one of the best we've had so far. We did not tip him ahead of time, but did so at the end as well as the auto-tip; so I don't know if you need to bother with the extra $20 up front.

Overall, a nice cruise.

debrajanders,

Glad you had a good time (Nonie was the best wasn't he?;) ) but I cannot believe Princess doesn't acknowledge that darn noise,that has to have disturbed hundreds of patrons.

As far as arriving at the pier in SF,the only thing I can suggest is to allow yourself plenty of additional time...it's a madhouse there.:D

CFL

Bonnie-Jean:

We arrived at the airport around 11:00 a.m. and took a taxi (van for 5 people with a lot of luggage) to the Best Western Tuscan Inn. It took around 25 minutes and cost $35 plus tip. We had a great taxi driver and the cost was very reasonable. We walked to the pier with our rolling luggage for embarkation. Both went very smoothly. We would do it that way again if we ever leave from SF. The Tuscan Inn was very nice and the employees were friendly and helpful.

Thanks for the info. First time sailing out of SF this spring and had been wondering the best way to get from SFO to the Best Western Tuscan Inn. You just made my decision for me, easier than trying to arrange something before we leave, and I agree, very reasonable.

You're still home Charles...I thought you and Judy were already back on the high seas!:rolleyes:

After that TDY blitz from August through November, 51 flight segments in 4 months, we got to spend Thanksgiving through the first of the year together. First the cruise, then Christmas, then New Years and now it looks like I won't have to go on the road until at least week after next. So let it snow!

I tell you, I am seriously looking for a short cheap cruise or two to get elite before the Grand Panama cruise. Sure would be nice to have free laundry. Hurricane season nixes the Caribbean, Ak cruises are way too expensive for that and people have now discovered the once cheap and plentiful 3-4 day pacific repo cruises. They're all booked!

On the other hand, two cruises can buy an awful lot of laundry...go figure!

Charles & Judy - Take a cruise from Galveston or Florida - depending on the price, of course - the heck with hurricane season. Prices are better then, and the free laundry will surely be nice on a longer cruise. Besides, the captain isn't going to go anywhere dangerous. Nancy

DH and I will arrive in SF on 1/24 for our 1/25 cruise on the Dawn. We are Marriott Rewards members and will stay at Courtyard Fisherman's Wharf. The hotel concierge recommended a taxi or the SuperShuttle from the airport; we are booked/paid for/confirmed on the latter: $15 for first guest, $8 for additional guests (+ gratuity). SS offers van service for up to seven passengers and may stop at other venues en route to our hotel.

We read about BART but did not want to schlep luggage for an 11-night sailing. Taxi might be quicker but may cost more. SS seems the best choice given our early arrival time from Detroit as our hotel room may not be ready. We've purchased Princess transfers from ship to airport following disembarkation.

Sailing on the Dawn in 19 days!

Chris

Toto: I don't know where you are located, but don't miss Trader Joe's grocery a block behind the Tuscan Inn! Fantastic gourmet gift for people back home! We liked the chocolate covered cherries in BRANDY!! (Burp!):D

Bonnie-Jean:

Did you have to prearrange to have a van for a taxi or are the vans readily available? There will be 4 of us with lots of luggage.

...don't miss Trader Joe's grocery a block behind the Tuscan Inn!

There's a TJ's this close :eek: ? I asked on the Ports of Call board about purchasing wine prior to our cruise. Cost Plus was recommended so I printed a map and didn't give it a second thought as it is a quick walk from our hotel.

We would much prefer Trader Joe's so I've printed a new map ;) . This is also very close to the Courtyard - an easy walk after our arrival in SF.

Is there by any chance a Costco in the vicinity?

Thanks for the heads up!

Chris

Charles & Judy - Take a cruise from Galveston or Florida - depending on the price, of course - the heck with hurricane season. Prices are better then, and the free laundry will surely be nice on a longer cruise. Besides, the captain isn't going to go anywhere dangerous. Nancy

Our 8-12 foot swells on our return cruise put Judy on her back for 2 days. You were there and the seas weren't that rough!

I wouldn't have a problem if she just stayed horizontal, but she insists on getting up and trying and I find myself walking around looking at where the nearest trash can is and hoping I can get her to it fast enough!!!!

So hurricane season is definitely out...

Costco is a fair distance away, not within walking distance. But with Cost Plus (world market) and TJ's and Safeway so close you will be in fat city. You may want to know that the Captain of the Dawn drinks Two Buck Chuck as well.

You will also have a special treat that day...The QE2 is in SF on the 24th and sails at 5pm, so you will be able to see her at the pier and if you go to pier 39, you can watch her sail out from one of the (not very good) restaraunts there (they do have great views though).

Aaero

Toto: I don't know where you are located, but don't miss Trader Joe's grocery a block behind the Tuscan Inn! Fantastic gourmet gift for people back home! We liked the chocolate covered cherries in BRANDY!! (Burp!):D

Thanks for the tip, sounds like we will have a lot to choose from after reading all these ideas for pre-cruise shopping. I have never heard of Trader Joe's as we are located right in the middle of the U.S. :( Not much choice around here but so glad to hear there are several places close to the BW. Thanks again for the tip.

Thanks everyone for the help with transporation from airport to hotel.

We also don't have TJ's in Oklahoma but while in Milwuakee for Thanksgiving, my sister took us to TJ's and suggested two buck chuck so we bought a case home. Not too bad but for the price it is excellent.:rolleyes:

Bonnie

Nope! This is the high rent district!! They still have 2 Buck Chuck at TJ's, though!

Our local Costco(s) carries two of our favorite Princess wines: Cuvaison Chardonnay and Kenwood Jack London Cabernet. We will probably pack a bottle or two of each.

Two Buck Chuck? No thanks. I'd rather drink vinegar. jmo

Cheers!

Chris

Actually I was generalizing about the restaraunts near pier 39 as "most" of them are not really good and are big time tourist traps. I always tell people from out of the area to go to other places in the city for much better food.

I am not sure about Monterey, but at most waterfront areas, the places to eat are not nearly as good as they are away from the tourist areas. The excpetion, of course, are the great places in new England that serve lobster and fresh seafood.

But several of the places at pier39 and fishermans wharf have great views of the bay and you are able to watch the ships coming and going.

Aaero

Actually I was generalizing about the restaraunts near pier 39 as "most" of them are not really good and are big time tourist traps. I always tell people from out of the area to go to other places in the city for much better food.

I am not sure about Monterey, but at most waterfront areas, the places to eat are not nearly as good as they are away from the tourist areas. The excpetion, of course, are the great places in new England that serve lobster and fresh seafood.

But several of the places at pier39 and fishermans wharf have great views of the bay and you are able to watch the ships coming and going.

Aaero

Generally I think you are right.

We have dined at Scoma's in SF before and I thought the food and the service there were first-rate.Feels like the waitstaff there have all been there 30-40 years.Here at our Monterey wharf,I'd say there are 2-3 very outstanding restaurants and the others are certainly better than average.I'd say we're above the norm in that respect...;)

Perky1: Sorry I didn't respond to your question sooner, I just saw it. We just walked outside of the baggage claim at SFO and there are a lot of taxis lined up. You usually take the first one, but if you need a van and there isn't one there, there is a taxi coordinator in the center island that will get one for you. It only took about 5 minutes for one to come from the other terminal. We were amazed at how smoothly this worked.

Archived