2 Year Old--best Cruise Line?

halfvass

Wondering if you have any thoughts as to the best cruise line and/or ship for a non potty-trained 2 year old and her mom,grandma, aunt and uncle! She loves pools so keeping her out will be a problem. She goes to nursery school now and loves it, so I know she would enjoy the activities of the kids' programs aboard.

All input is welcome. My husband and I are experienced cruisers, but never with a 2 year old! Would like to make this a great vacation for all.

Thanks for your replies.

Happy cruising!

A doting aunt--

Deb

Cunard, without a shadow of a doubt. I have written about them on here and am waiting for a review to be put up.

The facilities are great. The nursery staff are all English trained with proper qualifications, the sessions which run from 9-12, 2-5 and 8-12 are properly structured. The soft play area is amazing. Although it says that you can't use the pools, Cunard say you can if the chid is in swim nappies (diapers). The 8-12 session is either a sleepover style or a proper "in a crib" and asleep in a dark room which is monitored by the staff. You are given a beeper so you can be contacted quickly.

I cannot reccommend them highly enough. Marvellous.

The favorite among the younger set is Disney, they know how to please the little ones for sure. We took our 2 youngest grandchildren with us on the Disney Wonder and it was a personality changing experience for them.

They really enjoyed it.

I would say it depends on whether you want group babysitting/camp or private babysitting. If its group then you need a line that takes 2 year olds: Carnival, Norwegian, Disney and Cunard. If you want private babysitting its RCI, X or HAL (which is not guaranteed so I hear), but their camps are for 3+ and potty trained. Celebrity has a toddler room you can go in at any time, but you can't leave.

Hi there

We have cruised many times without a child, so will only comment on the two we have done with our now two year old.

P&O the UK cruise company were excellent. Great nursery with trained staff and extremely structured playtimes which are split into age groups.

You can leave them from two years old, they will change diapers without any problems. They have healthy snacks and I couldn't fault them. You can also use the pools with swim diapers although not the jacuzzis. There is a childrens tea at 5pm in the evening, which has good food and the usual stuff kids like. Because there are other kids there, they tend to eat really well!

In the evening they have a supervised night nursery, with cribs and little beds, darkened and quietish, or you can leave them in the nursery, which has squashy sofas, pillows and videos playing, a lot of the little ones do fall asleep by the time they are picked up. They don't do in cabin baby sitting.

We recently went Celebrity and found a huge difference, the playroom was not split into age groups, so lots of big children running around. They will only take from 3 years and potty trained, they don't supervise toileting at all. The snacks are icecream and cookies and tea is usually pasta or pizza and not a special tea for just children, the play leaders order and take the children up, but you can tag along too. You cannot use any of the pools, even the kids pool until they are three, we couldn't use them even though our daughter at 2 years 2 months was potty trained. Leave Celebrity until they are older and then you and they will be fine.

We are trying Cunard next, we have heard so many great things, but are looking at the Disney ship for the summer in the Med.

Cruising with a two year old is OK, don't worry you will have a great time, but it just helps if the facilities help you out!

Be interesting to know what you decide!

Kate

I have taken two Princess cruises with my toddlers, but since my girls turn 2 in January, we are going on Carnival so they can participate in the children's program (the Princess age minimum is 3). Carnival does not require they be potty trained. I'll miss Princess, but being able to drop the girls off for a little while is a huge plus for me, and I just can't stomach the idea of a Disney cruise.

I don't think there's any better way to travel with a baby or toddler, whichever line you choose. The pool is never a big issue for us. On the Princess ships I've been on there is a little splash pool in the kids area that babies and toddlers use, but we don't end up using it much. You can always go to the beach or a resort pool in port, and a little blow up pool is enough to get a little splashing done.

Have a great time,

Best,

Mia

Carnival for a 2 year old, no doubt. We've been on RCCL, Disney, AND NCCL....we just got back from Carnival.

Disney and RCCL only takes them when they are 3 and up in the Kid's clubs. On Disney there is a nursery...but it is just that, a nursery.

Carnival has an entire kids area for the 2-5 group. My 2 year old had an absolute BLAST on Carnival. She wanted to stay in the kids club all day and all night. I had to drag her out at 10:30 every night. They have Build A Buddy parties (think Build a Bear)...so she came home with 2 new friends.

My daughter is potty trained, but they don't need to be on Carnival (just for the pools). Our next cruise is in April with RCCL, when my youngest turns 3 so she can take advantage of that kids club.

We took several cruises with Carnival when DD was two - our first when she was just 25 months! We are hooked!! :p

It was a great expereince for everyone. We choose Carnival because they would take a 2 year old in the camp, and they change diapers. I have read the NCL will take a non-potty trained 2 year old in camp, but they page you to change your child's diaper yourself. That din't seem optimum to me, although many don't seem to have a problem with it.

Suffice to say, Freddy gives Mickey a run for his money in our house!!

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great time!!

It was really interesting to read the replies to this post and as such, we have scrapped the Disney idea, and are looking at Cunard and Carnival, Carnival sounds good and I had no idea, so thanks.

Kate

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies. It sounds like Carnival will be best for us. Our toddler loves doing activities with other children--the build-a-buddy sounds reallly neat. My only worry is that she'll like Camp Carnival so much we'll never see her!:)

Archived