Do you recommend baggage check/storage?

We are doing Venice and Florence on our own before our cruise. I have read that our bags can be stored at the train station or bus station while we just take an overnight bag to our hotel.

1. Does anyone recommend this method?

2. Are there any size restrictions for storage?

3. Where are the storage places in Florence and Venice?

4. Is is safe? Any horror stories out there?:confused:

5. How much does it cost?

Thanks!

We are doing Venice and Florence on our own before our cruise. I have read that our bags can be stored at the train station or bus station while we just take an overnight bag to our hotel.

1. Does anyone recommend this method?

2. Are there any size restrictions for storage?

3. Where are the storage places in Florence and Venice?

4. Is is safe? Any horror stories out there?:confused:

5. How much does it cost?

Thanks!

Hi Shamrock17,

DH and I were recently in Venice and I can tell you that there is a storage place at the Santa Lucia Train Station for luggage, we did use it. There is no size or weight limit as it is just a large room filled with shelves. You are given a claim ticket with the time on it and you pay at pick-up. We stored two pieces for about 14 hours and I think the price was 16Euros. I think I recall something about a 10Euro limit per piece per day.

I have also read somewhere on these threads that there is one at the Piazzale Roma in Venice also but I did not see that one.

This worked very well for us, had no problems at all---no horror stories here.

DScruisericon7.gif

We have used the luggage storage at the airport in Venice several times for post cruise stays. We have taken the ship's transfer to the airport, stored our luggage and then, with just carryons, taken Alilaguna public transport back to Venice. After our Venice stay, we do the reverse, get our luggage and check it in for our flight. You can do the reverse also if you are doing a pre-stay in Venice. The cost at the airport was last 4.5 Euros per piece per 24 hour period, and is probably about the same at the train stations. In Venice, in particular, it is important to have as little luggage with you as possible.

We've stored our luggage on two occasions in the small facility in Piazza Roma without any problems.

The most recent was this past November for 4 days.

They charged 3.50 Euros per piece per day so we paid 28 Euros for storage of our 2 larger bags.Since we walked to our accomodation near St.Marks our carry on luggage was enough to handle through the narrow streets and bridges.

The office is tucked in between restaurants in the Piazza near the entrance to the parking garage and isn't too difficult to find.

Hope this helps and enjoy your time in this wonderful city.

Archived