Explorer of the Seas for wheelchair user

As anyone cruised on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of Seas? I am going with my family on September 19 and just wanted some feedback as to what to look for or avoid on this particular ship. I was able to get some pictures of the accessible bathroom on adventure of the Seas but was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the one on Explorer of the Seas. In the junior suite if possible. Since both ships are the same class I assume they are pretty close. Also does anybody know about the height of toilets? According to Royal Caribbean it is 18.5 inches. I use a commode that rolls over the toilet but it is 18 inches exactly. I guess I will have to get a pan or something for it.

What also appreciate any suggestions for my specific stops if you have them. We are stopping in San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Nassau. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

:cool:

I am in a wheelchair and will be going on the Explorer to those same ports August 8-15. I will try and get back with you when I return to let you know the specifics. You are welcome to email me to jog my memory if I forget.

Check out the sticky posted above: "Resources for Eastern Caribbean for Disabled Cruisers". It has some good information about possible shore excursions.

Also, at St. Thomas, Sapphire Beach is a possibility. Although you can't roll down through the sand to the water, there is a hard surface walkway which goes to the beach and there are some tables with umbrellas on this area.

• 4 weeks later...
I am in a wheelchair and will be going on the Explorer to those same ports August 8-15. I will try and get back with you when I return to let you know the specifics. You are welcome to email me to jog my memory if I forget.

Hope I am not bothering you too soon. I hope everything went well for you on the cruise. I got my documents for my upcoming cruise today and got a little excited. Any information or review you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.:D

Ok we are back and I will try to give you a brief run down of our experiences on the ship and shore excursions.

The ship itself is very accessible. The only place I had a little trouble was in the Windjammer. The buffet was a bit hard to reach. I never once had to ask anyone to help. They were meeting me at the door and carrying my plate before I knew it. Clements from Germany was awesome at helping me.

We had a cabin on deck 9. (9553) It was designed for 4 people and we all managed fine. It had a roll in shower with a pull down shower seat.

The pools had lifts on them. One trick I figured out was on the area reserved for adults, there were cushions in the lounge chairs. I asked someone and they helped me stack 2 cushions on one chair and it made for easier transferring.

Basically, the ship was no problems at all. Employees are more than observant to any time I entered any area they were right there to assist me in any way.

The shore excursions is another story altogether. I called and got the lady they transferred me to who supposedly gears you in the right direction for accessible shore excursions. NOT. The first day, we were supposed to get on the Rain Forest Excursion. The guide himself said the trail was not wide enough for a wheelchair. Basically we talked to the shore excursions manager, who was at the pier. He suggested us just get a taxi and do an island tour. They refunded us our money on the excursions and that is what we did. We had an awesome time every time we went out. Taxi drivers were more than willing to stop for pictures, let us out, etc. We will go that route again, no matter what ship or cruise line we go on. You have to be able to transfer into a van. Some are higher off the ground than others. Just tell them and they will try to find one to suit you. We did the island tours at all the stops and then just went shopping on our own and returned to the boat in plenty of time. Just watch your time and make sure the taxi driver knows when to have you back.

If you have any other questions, feel free to just email me.

Trina

St Thomas now has accessible shore excursions throught your cruise line. They make several stops and may not be a bad price. Suggest you check them out. Make sure you bring your own folding wheelchair for excursions, and a scooter/power chair for on the ship.

I agree about the Windjammer, they only have two ramps and on one they had a table right a the bottom of it. I was on Navigator of the Seas, the staff were not helpful to me. They thought I should carry my own drinks and tray. I had to ask to get help almost everytime I was there but in the Dining Room I received very good aid when I needed it..

Trina - thank you for the information. Glad to hear the staff was so helpful. Unfortunately, transferring out of my chair to use a cab is not practicable in my situation. I know at some of the port there is enough to do between shopping and just looking around to keep me busy not to mention all the activities on board.

CaptData - thank you for the info on St. Thomas, we have already booked an accessible excursion for that stop. Probably the one you are speaking of.

Archived