Spider Monkey attack in Belize

crusinpsychRN

"More specific and targeted action is needed...

Let's start with Island Marketing...a company that promotes various tours including Maruba

the Island Marketing Company offers various tours...including Maruba...I am writing to them to let them know that I am booking my Altun Ha tour through Coral Breeze instead. I will not use Island Marketing since they offer Maruba...and I am letting them know the reason : the monkey attack on Kelly that Maruba is not taking responsibility for....perioid

They also handle x-stream cave tubing...so cancel that and book with the other group and let them know why...pretty soon I think Maruba will be dropped from their tour offerings....and let Maruba know what you are doing

http://www.belizecruiseexcursions.com/contact.htm"

I too am very sorry to hear what happened to you Kelly and I am even more disappointed in the Maruba Spa and Resort.

In response to the above quote - I booked with Island Marketing/Belize Cruise Excurions for a trip in February and I do not remember seeing any offering of Maruba. (They did a GREAT job! Went to Lamanai.) I went on their site again and could not find anything - maybe they have already taken it off their offerings.

Best of luck.

Kelly, a quick note to say that I am sorry about your bad horseback riding experience. It sounds like you have gotten some good advice here, and I hope you continue to improve.

I have been horseback riding in Belize, and I know that it is pretty easy to get thrown or have a similar riding incident, but the whole monkey thing is really out there. It is pretty obvious to some of us that a monkey just doesn't make a good pet, and this is why!

Keep your spirits up, keep riding when you are up to it again, and I hope your next cruise is fabulous and injury free.

Just keep away from those spider monkeys!

OttoCal

Kelly, I am very sorry to hear what happened. I know first-hand how painful a tenon injury can be. I had severe Achille's tendonitis which began in 6th grade and I was in braces and casts through 9th grade and still have difficulty at times.

We will be in Belize on March 27th and we will not give any of our money to Maruba Resort :( or anyone who promotes them. Just wanted to let you know that I wrote Maruba Resort and told them what a disgrace I think they are to their country and citizens. Accidents happen and that's why you carry insurance. I also told them that our group would be taking excursions through other tour groups because of what happened to you and, more importantly, how they have handled your situation. I posed the question to them about how much money do they think they've lost because of Pancho. I'm sure it will end up costing them much more in their sales than if they had just taken care of you to begin with. But, that's what happens when you don't do the right thing. It always comes back on you. I pray for your complete recovery and for Maruba Resort to step up and be a reputable company that cares about their customers. Diane

So sorry to hear about your problems in Belize! It is really unfortunate that bad operators like the one you hired are allowed to operate anywhere.

We recently returned from Belize where we thoroughly enjoyed a day on horseback @ Smugglers Run Plantation. The owners of Smugglers Run told us about your situation. They both were very upset about the way you are being handled.

They said that equestrian tour operators should know better than to keep pet monkeys since pet monkeys start out as lovable but always turn mean as they get older. Trevor told us that they have turned down offers of pet monkeys because the initial attraction to tourist is not worth the serious risk of injuries to their patrons.

It was clear from our visit that Smugglers Run is a first class operation with fantastic staff. Smugglers did everything right for this type of business. They properly matched horse and rider, they ensured everyone was fit properly, all protective gear was available, the group was lead by a competent guide and another followed close behind us.

This thread is about the very serious injuries suffered by one of us but lets not let this incident damage the reputation of good operators like Smugglers.

Please keep this thread going so we can hear how your recuperation goes.

Best wishes from Canada!

Hi....

Kelly did put up her review/story on Trip Advisor under Maruba Spa...and thankfully the Island Marketing People removed them as a tour and refunded money so others will be spared this. I think getting out the word is empowering for Kelly

Glad to hear that you loved Smuggler's Run, that is where I am also "booked". I think the fact that Trevor runs his own operation, takes pride in it and responsibility for it makes a huge difference

The ownership of Maruba is murky to say the least, from info I have dug up it may be partly owned by americans, maybe thru Texas?? Pretty weird...and this also led to this debacle...since the people working there did not take any responsibility....if you read Kelly's story, it is clear that they KNEW the monkey is always on a leash/chain...and that they took them out on horseback even after they saw the monkey was somehow OFF his leash and running free..they even commented on it! At this point I wonder IF that monkey has attacked others, maybe less violently, but there is a REASON he was always chained up...look at the chimps who tore off that guy's face when he visited them!

So the sad fact is that they were negligent and that no one who actually owns Maruba has done anything or even made any apology. I am a huge animal lover but in this case I think a vicious animal should be put in a zoo or something, not kept as a pet around tourists.

Thanks for keeping this story alive! I am sure that Kelly appreciates our concern and prayers for her healing! Thanks for the good Smuggler's Run info!

Archived