Zip lining in Belize?

JandKcrusin

We are taking a cruise with Princess in Feb. We want to do ziplining at one of the ports. I'm thinking either Belize or Rotan...Any suggestions as to which port is better for ziplining? What companies do you recommend? I want to do ziplining at one port and snorkeling/beach day at another. But I'm not sure which is better where...Thanks!

My wife and I ZipLined in Belize in September and absolutely loved it! We havent been to the other port, but I imagine someone on this board has been to both and compare for you.

We used a private company in Belize called ncq adventures, but everyone just calls them Nacho and Cynthia (they are the owners and the tour guides). They were fantastic, thorough and professional, and made us feel like family.

There are several companies mentioned on this board and I am sure you cant go wrong if you do your research.

Click on the link in our signature if you would like to see pictures from our ziplining adventure....

We just got back last weekend; sailed on Grand Princess. My sister and I did the ship's tour, both ziplining and cave tubing, in Belize.

My recommendation is to go with one of the private tour companies, in a smaller group. Maybe they can get you out there before the big buses!

Our guide was very personable and organized, but there were just too many people and too many long lines. Also, possibly because they were rushing to get all those people through the zip lines, there was an accident at the second platform when a man was let go too soon after his wife. He slammed into her, his foot on her back, and she fell to a platform below. (Lucky there WAS a platform below, about 6-8 feet, or it could have been much worse.) No broken bones, but she was taken to a clinic or hospital to be checked out. Sure hope she's okay.

If you go, insist on a safety briefing. When we were there, instructions were shouted to a long line of people stretching way down the hill; we were in the top third and could hear very little. And unlike the ziplining in Puerto Vallarta (which was fantastic!!) it was difficult to brake with their double pulleys; you had to pull down on the cable itself with your leather-gloved hand. Didn't seem to work too well for me, or for my sister, or for that poor guy who ran into his wife. (They were yelling at him to brake, and he was trying to but couldn't.)

I wouldn't zipline again in Belize, though I can hardly wait to go back to Puerto Vallarta to zipline. Twice as many runs there, higher up, and amazing scenery.

I DO plan to go cave tubing again in Belize next year; that was fun, in spite of the fairly large groups.

Hope this helps you with your decision!

I've only ziplined in Belize and Nicaragua. Both were excellent but very different. Can't comment on Roatan.

We were on the Coral Princess in early 2005 and ziplined in Belize with the cruiseline tour. Nice size group and very, very safety conscience. However, only 5 lines + 2 rappels. It was "inside" a collapsed cave. Very quick and not very social.

A year or two earlier we ziplined in Nicaragua and it was even better. 13 very long lines down the side of a mountain which was part of a coffee plantation. Only a group of 8 and everyone in the group was on the platform before a person left for the next platform. Lots of fun and very social. Also very, very safety conscience.

I'll take any chance I can get to go ziplining again.

Good luck and have fun!!!!!!

We went ziplining and cave tubing and almost missed the ship! No lunch! Ate early breakfast on the ship and then nothing until 4:45pm! Ziplining scared the c$#@ out of me but I'm old, so. Went mostly because my 17 year old son wanted to. He loved it. I really enjoyed the cave tubing.

What am I doing jumping out of trees at my age!?!?

Archived