RCCL Kids Clubs Help!!!!

kim21234

:eek: Will RCCL let kids move up to the higher age group for the Kids Clubs? I will be traveling in July with a 14yr. old who will be 15 in December. She will be a 10th grader in high school in the fall and does not want to be in the 12-14 yr old group. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks for any advice!

Many folks have had this issue.

Technically the decision to allow or not allow is up to the AO director on each ship. I know of folks who have had their requests allowed and others who have not - many factors enter into the decision.

Rule of thumb - on most RCCI cruises a child will be allowed to move up one age level if they are close to that age level but generally only AFTER the child has attended at least one session in their actual age group (so that the staff can evaluate the child's readiness to move up). Typically they will not allow a child to move down a level.

Unlike the 3YO lower age limit for AO, there are no 'rules' governing this (the 3YO age limit is due to a corporate decision in deference to the liability insurance that RCCI carries). Thus is is up to the AO Director and the AO staff. You will need to address it specifically with them once you are on the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have seen this issue come up many times and some parents claim that RCCL told them "no" and some said that yes it was allowed.

On Disney, my daughter was having a birthday on the cruise and they gave her the decision to go to the lower or older group as long as she attended the first day in her age group. She actually chose to stay with the younger group because they did more structured activities.

Usually the issue comes up when the kids are VERY close to their birthdays or turning another age on the cruise. You might have a problem because you are talking about a child who won't be 15 for 5 months after the cruise.

Also, maybe you can search for a copy of the ship's kids club newsletter at www.webshots.com and see if you can look at the different activities for each age group. She might like the younger age group's activities better.

Archived